Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil temp sensor
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scoobykvn
I have a 1.7 and bought an oil temp sensor and I am wondering the best place to put it. I don't think I have a stock one but I am not sure exactly where it would be if I did. If I don't have one where is the best place to put the new sensor?
SirAndy
QUOTE(scoobykvn @ May 30 2011, 11:12 AM) *
I have a 1.7 and bought an oil temp sensor and I am wondering the best place to put it. I don't think I have a stock one but I am not sure exactly where it would be if I did. If I don't have one where is the best place to put the new sensor?

Do a search here for "Taco plate".
It'll show you what parts you need and where they go ...

shades.gif
underthetire
I'm using a drain plug style. Not as good I think as a taco plate one, but it works.
scoobykvn
Thanks for the quick responses. I think I got it figured out with a search.
McMark
Where it goes. rolleyes.gif

Kidding! Just trying to boost my ass-hat rating... happy11.gif
Valy
QUOTE(underthetire @ May 30 2011, 11:19 AM) *

I'm using a drain plug style. Not as good I think as a taco plate one, but it works.

Can you please share some details?
What sender? I'm trying to find one to fit the drain plug for months.
Black22
I use the drain plug sender as well. It replaces the oil drain plug.
Some say it reads 10-20 degrees cooler as your driving, due to it being in the breeze. Works good enough for me though.

You need to match your sender with the gauge. Search your gauge part number.

I used a 150C VDO sender for my combo gauge temp. I could have used a 200C sender but the gauge will read differently. There is alot of info around here on the subject. I got mine from North Hollywood Speedometer. Sorry, I don't have the part number on me. I think it was a
14mm thread size. Not the same as the Type 1 size. I have a 1.8L.

Good Luck.

EDIT: Just got home and checked my receipts. Part number for my drain plug sender is 323-092. It's a 150C VDO sender. NoHoSpeedometer sold it to me for $21.20 plus $2.06 tax.
Works with this gauge rather well
Click to view attachment
underthetire
QUOTE(Valy @ May 30 2011, 07:08 PM) *

QUOTE(underthetire @ May 30 2011, 11:19 AM) *

Can you please share some details?
What sender? I'm trying to find one to fit the drain plug for months.

Just a VW VDO sender, got it off Ebay for ~15 bucks. Won't work with the stock gauge i believe. Think it was a 14mm thread if[i] i remember correctly.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VDO-oil-Tem...sQ5fAccessories
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.