Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: MOTOR TRANS COMBO FOR 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
spare time toys
PASSAT W8 WITH TIP TRONIC??? WOULD THAT BE SWEET OR WHAT smoke.gif
i love porsche
why would you want a tiptronic over a manual?
neo914-6
I've heard great things about these new automatics. Apparently they shift at the right time and are faster than manual shifting. Has technology got us beat?
Felix
brant
I think the trannys that out shift us are the manu-matics.. the full manual trannys with a computer operated clutch...

ie: SMG, and Ferrarri F1....

I don't believe the tip and other smart automatic trannies can out shift or do much better than a standard.....

b
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(spare time toys @ Jun 7 2004, 12:28 PM)

WHAT.

wink.gif

I don't like manumatics
Mueller
a "tip" equipped 914 might be damn near unbeatable at auto-x if set up correctly.......I know the automatic 'vetts clean up pretty damn well compared to the manual cars.........

while the W8/tip would be fun, a Boxster S/tip combo would be easier I would think to swap into a 914 (and it would be a legal or approved swap in the eyes of PCA )
Mark Henry
My dad's 1.8T Passat has a 5-speed auto and if you push the shifter to the right you can go through the gears manually.
Shifts seem positive and fast.
peridotian
Drove a tip for the first time this weekend from LA to SF up the coast. wub.gif VERY SMOOTH! Only problem I encountered was the owners manual caution about exceeding 4200 RPM during breakin ar15.gif !
brant
Mark,

yep thats a tiptronic... VW took it from the Audi..
and porsche designed it primarily...

still its an automatic tranny (just has a computer to tell it when to shift gears)...

I believe that any tranny with a torque converter (automatic) is still showing a mechanical loss of power versus a manual. Manuals are still faster and more efficient... now a CV tranny might theoretically be a different story...

b
i love porsche
AND

manuals are more fun

plain and simple
thesey914
I reckon the AUDI DSG twin clutch system ( new audi TT 3.2 ) has to be the brightest idea around at the moment. While you're driving in third it already has fourth engaged ready to swap.
spare time toys
QUOTE(i love porsche @ Jun 7 2004, 11:05 AM)

You have not been in a car when my wife trys to shift Yack.gif It would save ALOT of headachs because she could go play in it driving-girl.gif and I still sort of get to shift MDB2.gif
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(spare time toys @ Jun 7 2004, 03:59 PM)
QUOTE(i love porsche @ Jun 7 2004, 11:05 AM)

You have not been in a car when my wife trys to shift Yack.gif It would save ALOT of headachs because she could go play in it driving-girl.gif and I still sort of get to shift MDB2.gif

you let your wife drive?! wink.gif j/k

get her one with an original autostick... biggrin.gif
Ctrout
Isn't the biggest advantage of the Tiptronic the ability to shift "manually" via steering wheel mounted buttons while negotiating difficult curves at high speed without removing one hand from the wheel?
lmcchesney
Hummmm. Triptronic shifter. Manumatic. Shifter on the steering wheel. What does the Indy class and F1's use. My memory is sequental shifter for the right hand. Is that because of restrictive rules?
seanery
Indy cars use sequntial shifters. F1 uses paddle shifters.

Indy cars are technology restricted.

F1 is almost an anything goes.
Scott Carlberg
QUOTE(spare time toys @ Jun 7 2004, 10:28 AM)

I know Steve Malm would like to try this also.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.