Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: MSD L-jet install help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MartyYeoman
I'm working on installing a MSD 6AL onto my '75 L-Jet with Pertronix distributor module. I went with the MSD schematic (for Pertronix Ignitor Kit) but no workie.
The engine will fire momentarily then won't start. I don't know if the tach works I haven't gotten that far. When I remove the MSD system and restore to original wiring, both engine and tach operate normally. I've searched and most of the threads I've read are either D-Let or carb related. I'm looking for specifics for L-Jet operation.
Thanks in advance. Marty
underthetire
Don't know much about Ljet, but sounds like it's starting only on ignition prime. Isn't there something off the stock set up from the points that triggers the ECU for injector timing?
willamp
QUOTE(Marty Yeoman @ May 31 2011, 02:44 PM) *

I'm working on installing a MSD 6AL onto my '75 L-Jet with Pertronix distributor module. I went with the MSD schematic (for Pertronix Ignitor Kit) but no workie.
The engine will fire momentarily then won't start. I don't know if the tach works I haven't gotten that far. When I remove the MSD system and restore to original wiring, both engine and tach operate normally. I've searched and most of the threads I've read are either D-Let or carb related. I'm looking for specifics for L-Jet operation.
Thanks in advance. Marty

Is this on a street car? If so I'm not sure you'll notice a difference with MSD. I just removed it from my car and notice no difference. It was on the car when I bought it and I just switched from bosh 009 distr to SVDA with vacuum advance and the maker didn't support MSD with their pointless system. So I first removed the MSD 6AL and just as I expected, I could tell no difference. The car starts and runs just as well without it. Maybe there's some benefit for a track car.
MartyYeoman
QUOTE(willamp @ May 31 2011, 01:09 PM) *

Is this on a street car?

It's on my daily driver. Mostly freeway driving with some country road touring.
Marty
eric9144
I noticed a huge difference on my 2.0 with the addition of the MSD...I did that in conjunction with a Crane XR7000 (?) and it's been like a swiss watch ever since!
Dave_Darling
Are you getting spark? Are you getting fuel?

Remember that the L-jet needs to get the signal from the ignition points. In this case, from the Pertronix unit. In stock form, the white wire that provides this signal gets hooked up to the coil (-) terminal. With an MSD, the MSD box is telling the coil to fire more than once at low RPM, so this signal will not be the right one.

Try to get the thing working just with the Pertronix, no MSD. Then hook the MSD in. The white wire should be hooked to whatever is supposed to supply the tach signal, be it the Pertronix trigger itself or some output from the MSD.

--DD
MartyYeoman
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ May 31 2011, 01:23 PM) *

Are you getting spark? Are you getting fuel?

--DD

Dave,
When I remove the MSD system and restore to original wiring, both engine and tach operate normally.

It must have something to do with that magic white wire (from - coil terminal)
Also there is a mystery black wire from the + coil terminal. Any guesses?
jim_hoyland
I'll look at my wring diagram. Are you using a tach adapter ?
Mike Bellis
What ever wire(s) are on the negative terminal go to the MSD input trigger(white). The MSD output wire should be the only wire on the negative terminal. The positive side is just that, positive when the key is turned on. Your mystery wire should be OK on the positive side. If not, use only the orange wire from the MSD to the positive coil and run the wires that were on the positive/coil to the MSD switched power input(red wire).

How old is your coil? is it capable of multiple sparks below 3000 rpm?

Click to view attachment
jim_hoyland
CAn you show us how you had it wired, it might be easier. I couldn't find my old Petronix / MSD diagram, but I remember there was a thread on the topic and a member showed a viable P/MSD diagram.
jim_hoyland
OK: Finally found the thread re the MSD / Pertronic: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...ix+Installation

Link for the Tach adapter: http://www.msdignition.com/Products/Access...ch_Adapter.aspx
Be sure to use the Helicol spark plug wires; a standard Bosh Blue coil is fine for the L-Jet
MartyYeoman
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Jun 1 2011, 07:51 AM) *

Be sure to use the Helicol spark plug wires.

confused24.gif Can you be more specific?

Edit: Never mind. I know what you mean. Heli Core wires.
Thanks for the help.
jim_hoyland
See: http://www.msdignition.com/page.aspx?id=3302

Tangerine Racing may sell them ?
jim_hoyland
Here's the diagram, note: the trigger wire that went to the coils - terminal will join the white tach adapter wire, the black pertronix wire, and the black/purp tach wire.

To connect the two sets of wires, I used a terminal strip and used small metal jumpers.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.