Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Transmission R&R Cost?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Eddie914
The car I keep around for my teenage kid's is getting a bit long of tooth (1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee 300,000 miles).

A friend has a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee (4.7 V8 4X4 Auto Trans 150,000 miles) she wants to sell ... since the transmission puked about 6 weeks ago. She bought a new 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee and parked the old one on the curb.

I plan to offer her Kelly Blue Price less the cost to replace the transmission.

What is a guestimate of the cost to replace the transmission?

I plan on making my teenage kids help me install a rebuilt or used transmission ... or walk to school ... their choice.

Thanks,

Eddie
Mike Bellis
If you have a shop do all the work (In NorCal) expect to pay $2500+ since it's 4 wheel drive. If you take out the tranny, then $1200+/-

I had a 727 Chrysler tranny done for $1400 6 years ago and that was 2 wheel drive.
Jeffs9146
FYI

I have a 1996 V8 that has 250,000 miles on the original motor and trans! I just did the front axcels and drive shaft last month for a total of $700!

With 150K miles, the rear end diferential and front 4 wheel drive diferential will need service in the near future unless she has already done those!! The front Diferential gears are about $385 and the Drive Shaft price ranges from $230-$400 depending on which shaft configuration it has and if you do the work yourself!

I know this doesn't answer your question about the transmission but when mine started to give me trouble at about 159K I did a flush and put in some of that sealer/conditioner in it and have gotten almost another 100K out of it! I know it is just a matter of time but I love my Jeep!
underthetire
About 3K. My 2001 has the inline 6, so a different tranny in that. I have 247K on stock everything but front wheel bearing hubs. I would stay away from the 4.7, especially the early ones like that. First model year with those was '99. They have too thin of a cylinder wall, so the oil gets hotter and sludges up. When it does, it plugs the tiny pickup screen and starves the engine of oil, rather quickly too. Do a search, it's well documented.

Other known issues, window regulators, heater control systems ( limited model), front pinion yoke. 99 and 2000 were the bigger of the problem childs. By 2001 they made some improvements, 02 through 04 were great. I love my Jeep, and has been rode hard, but still going.
Eddie914
With Kelly Blue Book Values between $2600 (Fair Condition - Trade-In) and $4985 (Excellent condition - Private Party), I'm hoping to be able to purchase this Jeep for between $500 and $1500. I know the vehicle is pretty straight with nearly new tires, but does have a few clitches. I need to inquire about the service history.

It's seems that the 4.7 V8 sludge problem is more common in hot climates with the Durango and Dakota. This Jeep has always been in Seattle.

I know I can sell the '93 Jeep for $500 (after we change the noisy timing chain), so the swap MIGHT be worth the time and risk.

Cheers,

Eddie
underthetire
QUOTE(Eddie914 @ Jun 1 2011, 07:53 AM) *

With Kelly Blue Book Values between $2600 (Fair Condition - Trade-In) and $4985 (Excellent condition - Private Party), I'm hoping to be able to purchase this Jeep for between $500 and $1500. I know the vehicle is pretty straight with nearly new tires, but does have a few clitches. I need to inquire about the service history.

It's seems that the 4.7 V8 sludge problem is more common in hot climates with the Durango and Dakota. This Jeep has always been in Seattle.

I know I can sell the '93 Jeep for $500 (after we change the noisy timing chain), so the swap MIGHT be worth the time and risk.

Cheers,

Eddie

FWIW, just make sure the heater flapper door is still in tact. If that sucker is broken, the whole dash comes out to fix a 50.00 part. Was more common on the dual climate control cars.
Eddie914
Jeff,

Thanks for the input.

BTDT on heater repair on my son's '93 Audi 90. We got the car for $400 with a broken heater core. The WHOLE dash had to come out ... everything in front of the seats except the wiring harness!

Cheers,

Eddie
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.