Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cryo treatment for tranny?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
75boxster
I am in the midst of planning out an engine conversion project and I am trying to decide what transmisson I should use. Stock with adapter plate would probably be the easiest but higher torque kills these, right? Alternative would be the five speed that the motor is normally bolted to. Power with the turbo upgrade is about 310hp/290tq. Of course no low end so that will probably help. I have heard that cryo treatments can help is some situations. Is this one?
Jake Raby
Gears REALLY benefit from cryo due to their composition and hardness.

In my old Blue Bug when I had the 227HP engine in the car I would shear ring and pinions when I ran slicks... The last time I tore into it I had my cryo guys treat the entire set up.. Thats the last time the tranny broke- period.

Now I have sold it to a good friend/customer of mine and he has driven the same combo and put 75 drag passes on it and it still hasn't broken... I broke 5 in one year and now its been almost 2 years and nothing has broken.

Just make sure that the cryo guys that you choose know the metallurgy of the parts and have a profile made up for them. Without that profile its all wasted.
seanery
dumb question?

-any benefit to do the case?
Andyrew
Can you give us a guestamate of how much it might cost to cryo treat the trani (jake or anyone)?

Andrew
75boxster
So I am assuming the tranny needs to be disassembled and each part that is a different metal need a different treatment?
TimT
ALL the parts will need to be seperated if you want to cryo them, you just dont dump an assembled tranny into the liquid nitrogen...

If you are a believer... cryo the gears, sliders, input, output shafts, dog rings.. maybe the intermediate plate..
Jake Raby
My guys charge 10 dollars a pound to do gears..
bondo
Jake,

I'm working on setting up a 914 trans for a v8 conversion.. which gears would you suggest I get the cryo treatment on? Or should I just do them all? (I'm on a budget here)

--Royce
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.