Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: fiberglass 916 bumper.....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
David_S
Well, after seeing all of the pics from the WCC, I started tinkering with my "project" over the weekend. Last year I picked up a used front fiberglass bumper, and after looking at it last night, I think some of it is missing! Should the bumper be made to bolt to the stock bumper locations, or if not, how does it mount? I had planned on molding it in to the fenders, much like on Sir Andy's car, but how would it be molded at the front of the hood where it meets the weatherstrip channel? Maybe by this time next year I can plan on coming out for the 2005 WCC !!!!! Thanks for any help !!! DavidS
Sparky
David,

Any idea who mad eit? I had bought a custom front end for my 944 from GTRacing and sadly not mounts came with it. Some times you just gotta make a bracket....

Good Luck!
Mike D.
David_S
No idea at all who made it. I also have the rear fiberglass bumper off of the same car, and it has metal brackets on it that bolt in the stock bumper location. The front looks like at one time it had the same brackets, but they are not there now. Oh well.... a little fiberglass and some steel and I bet they will be bolted to the stock bumper holes !!!
John
Only one or two of the 916 shells that I have seen actually came with any mounts with them. The others had to be custom fabricated.

I think the one we got a long long time ago from Mitcom actually had mounts but they required some modification to work......

It's not too hard to fabricate mounts. It all depends on how you want to attach it.

If you are bonding it into the body (I would not do this ever again), you could fabricate some small L shaped brackets to hold the middle of the shell up (to be as high as or slightly higher than the leading edge of the hood). These L shapes could be welded to the front of the car perminantly. Then the sides of the shell would be bonded into the fenders with fiberglass (resin and cloth).

I prefer allowing the shells to move with respect to the steel body and therefore will not crack at the joint. I typically use dzeus (SP?) type fasteners and fabricate small metal brackets to recieve the dzeus fasteners.

I actually prefer the looks of early bumpers (with no bumper guards) to the 916 shells......

Good luck.
David_S
I didn't think about the "L" brackets. That would be a good way to fasten the top. Guess tomorrow night I will have to see what I can come up with !!! Thanks for the help !!! DavidS
neo914-6
I had to fab mounts for my Chalon bumper using flat stock bent to a "U" and then fiberglassing them to the inside of the bumper. I drilled holes to match the stock bumper holes. I also urethane foamed the inside to reduce flex and the hollow sound while giving it more composite like structure. Reconsider glassing it to the body. There's lots of "drive by braille" drivers.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.