Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Side Shift Rod Boot and Rear Cover Help.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sgh
Again with a newbie question... I was installing a fresh side shift transmission this past weekend and my knowledgeable project leader pointed out that I am missing the plastic rear cover and the boot that goes attaches to the firewall and the rod flange. I was perusing the Auto Atlanta side and see that it looks like there are more pieces to this puzzle than a rear cover and boot, no?

Can you knowledgeable and experienced folks out there help an new to the 914 world guy? It looks like both the boot and the rear cover have a rubber or plastic strap that attach them to the firewall and transmission respectively. It also looks like another pair of boots attach to the main boot and rear cover. Is that true? What pieces do I need to order to do this correctly? Thank you.
914werke
The firewall boot needs no strap it just friction fits the lips on both the rod & firewall. The shift console cover does indeed require a metal "strap" that cinches it tight to the console rim although you can use a hose clamp if you can find one with a big enough diameter
76-914
re: the plastic cover. I bought mine from Pelican about 2 yr's ago. At first I thought it a bit small so I heated it with a heat gun as I held it tightly against the tranny. Once it warmed enough I was able to snap the last corner on. It is tighter than a knat's ass around a rain barrel and has never needed a clamp to secure it. Even after being removed.
914werke
Here is a pic of the OE "strap"

Click to view attachment
SirAndy
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Jun 1 2011, 02:36 PM) *
you can use a hose clamp if you can find one with a big enough diameter

agree.gif

I've been using two large stainless hose clamps connected together for years and that has worked just fine.
smile.gif
sgh
Thanks Rich - he just helped with the firewall boot. beer.gif Is that strap for the shift console cover?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.