Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: help me ID my six
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Trekkor
What is it?

Thanks.
Brad Roberts
That number doesnt do us much good. We need the 901 *_ _ /_ _* number.

We aleady discussed it being a early 2.0 engine. Any info beyond that and it has to be torn down or a spec sheet found on the engine.

B
campbellcj
Definitely get the engine type number (vs the engine serial number). Although as B alluded to, the 60's and 70's engines are now old enough where SO many of them have been rebuilt (i.e. dicked-with) that you cannot take anything for granted. Unfortunately the only way to tell for sure what is in one of these puppies is to tear it down and check the part numbers and/or mic everything...

I got "lucky" relatively speaking with the engine I bought back in 2002, but I still have no clue what it really is. rolleyes.gif
Trekkor
engine # is in the title- also here now wink.gif

901-06-8372
Brad Roberts
NO.. it's the 901/XX number that you gave me. 901/62 or something.

B
Trekkor
here's the other #
campbellcj
I'm not sure what to make of the 3-digit type number (after the 911/) but the 911/67 engine was a 2.4 911T Euro Sportamatic! (Same specs as the regular 911/57 2.4T Euro in 72/73.) It was a carbed, low compression engine built for good street torque and emissions compliance.

But as mentioned above...the numbers on the outside mean relatively little these days. Unless you have "high-confidence" documentation about any and all rebuilds, then the number just tells you what it "started" life as 30 years ago...
seanery
some of those are now going on 40 years blink.gif
Brad Roberts
Yes. It tells us what the CASE started life as. It tells us nothing about the cams/heads/P+C's/cam towers..

B
campbellcj
QUOTE(seanery @ Jun 7 2004, 09:01 PM)
some of those are now going on 40 years blink.gif

Aw...f* you Sean...thanks for reminding me that I was born when only a few hundred 911's had been built as of yet wink.gif

(Gonna be 38 this year and I don't feel a day over 37).
Trekkor
Going to take a peek on thurs PM.

Will check chain tensioning and adjust valves.
Have new plugs, wires and coil to freshen it up.
Plan on starting it!
Trekkor
Don't know if I told you this, I believe this motor was built by Vince of V-Mar Off Road Racing. He's the rasta racer with the surfboard mounted to his desert race car. I put out an e-mail to him last week to help me out but he doesn't reply yet.
campbellcj
According to the sources I have, if it is really a 72/73 2.4TV ROW Sporto engine then the engine number should be 653 9001-(something)

The engine type 901/06 was a 1967 911 "regular" (non-S) 2.0 w/ Webers...and their serial numbers were 911 001 thru 911-190. Maybe that's what it is, i.e. # 911-067?

A big tip off would be an aluminum case vs. magnesium.
Rusty
I already posted this info in the other thread.

You posted the serial number. The case serial number indicates it's a '67 911 case, model number 901/06. It should be an aluminum case. The picture you posted looks like aluminum, but that could be just the light.

What's it's been built into... God only knows.

-Lawrence
Eric_Shea
agree.gif the picture shows the serial number located on the vertical fan housing support. Here's the puzzling part:

901-06-8372

This reads more like a "type" number telling us it may have started life as a 67/68 130hp 2.0 liter. The puzzling part is the 8372. I've "never" seen a 911 engine with any code behind the engine type number.

To find the "real" type number you need to look on the horizontal surface behind the engine serial number. It should read 901/06 (with the slash and without any other numbers behind it) if that's what it is. I suspect the 901-06-8372 number is cast into the top of the fan shroud. This is simply a casting number for the shroud. Lots-o-people mistake this for an engine type/serial number.

Based on the serial number alone you may have an engine as early as a 901/01 (65) or a nice 160hp "S" engine the 901/02 (keep your fingers crossed).

Scrape off some grease and grime and get us the real "type" number (right behind that serial number)
brant
Trekkor,

also check to see if the cooling fins on the cylinders are iron or alloy... Usually you can see the rust if they are iron.. or put a magnet on them to verify...

this will help ID what might be in it for pistons/cylinders at least....

brant
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.