Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: 1963 Mercedes 220s
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ferg
Anybody know anything about them? Looking at a straight example, no rust, drove nice, was converted from euro spec, but all parts in trunk, KM speedo ect. Two holes in hood, not sure why, maybe for flags, ie dignitary car??

Anyhow Capt or others with knowledge chime in on any pitfalls before I do something crazy.

Ferg
Cap'n Krusty
Big, pretty slow, parts aren't too bad to find but they can run to the expensive side. The rear ends leak and are complicated and somewhat difficult to fix. Most of the heads have been cut once, and after that they're toast. That's too bad, because replacements don't exist. The auto trannies are strong but funky. I think the shift pattern is weird (as in, not PRNDL), but I'm not sure. They have issues with the sheet metal plate on the side of the block rusting through, and the numerous bolts holding them on break off when you try to remove them. I have a slightly newer one here without a motor, and you could probably get it pretty cheap. I also have a complete 59 190 sedan that I'd like to see go away. All there, needs some work. "Z" broke one of the turn signal lenses, but they're the same as a 356B or C.

The Cap'n
balljoint
Huge chick magnets. Mrs. Ferg will be Jealous.

laugh.gif

Aaahh sorry Ferg. That was mean.

rick 918-S
They all have chassis rust problems. All of them. You can repair the head gaskets by having a custom thick copper gasket cut. Every part on the engine needs to be installed in a certain order or you will end up starting over. Other than that, old mans car. If it's free buy it unless you just need a front yard planter or you volunteer at the assisted living place. slits.gif

Take an Ice pick with and stab the rear rail.

Click to view attachment
JmuRiz
Cool cars, but fins aren't my thing. Go with the first hand advice from the others here...I'm a w114 guy though...wanna buy one wink.gif
Ferg
Doing research now, Its seemed like a solid rust free driver. I'll try and get a pics tomorrow.

Ferg
sixnotfour
I have L & R NOS side mirrrors, just so you know. Jeff
bfrymire
QUOTE(Ferg @ Jun 1 2011, 05:33 PM) *

Anybody know anything about them? Looking at a straight example, no rust, drove nice, was converted from euro spec, but all parts in trunk, KM speedo ect. Two holes in hood, not sure why, maybe for flags, ie dignitary car??

Anyhow Capt or others with knowledge chime in on any pitfalls before I do something crazy.

Ferg

I love these cars. I have a 200 now, that I am working on. If you do a search you can find the thread here. Benzworld.org is your friend.

Also, if someone never changed the coolant, the head is probably toast, and as someone said, hard to find. (I am planning on a later merc motor to go into mine.)
Parts are for the most part available, and surprisingly cheap. (some are not.... Like the head.)

No performance parts that I could ever find.

And as someone else has already said, rust, rust, rust.

-- brett

(And hey, I am not an old man. Well, at least in my mind. smile.gif )
Ferg
Link to the ad... going to see how flexible $ wise they are today.

http://www.bouldertoyota.com/used/Mercedes...f652c4e2254.htm

Anybody got any insight to the Germany Badge on the trunk, it has 2 holes drilled Mid Hood as well, I'm thinking it may have been a diplomat car and those were for flags??
Cap'n Krusty
I can hear the sales manager now: "You took a WHAT in trade!?"

The Cap'n
Ferg
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jun 2 2011, 06:00 AM) *

I can hear the sales manager now: "You took a WHAT in trade!?"

The Cap'n

Yup, I'm dealing with the Manager, I know some high ups at this dealer, he wants it off his lot...
Jeffs9146
It looks to be a 220s not a C220 which is more desirable to collectors! I bought a 66 230s from the original owner a few years back for $1500 and had to put a used rear end in it which cost me $500. I sold it to a guy who took it to Japan and paid me $6000 for it!

It is just a mater of what you want to do with it! I was going to put larger wheels and trick it out but when I found the buyer so I had to sell!

It was a slow rocky car that gets horible milage and handles like a tank!!
URY914
I knew a girl in high school that used to drive one to school. It was cool. Had a steeringwheel like ship. Slow as a slug, but the trunk could hold 2 kegs plus ice. beer.gif
Jeffs9146
QUOTE(URY914 @ Jun 2 2011, 08:31 AM) *

I knew a girl in high school that used to drive one to school. It was cool. Had a steeringwheel like ship. Slow as a slug, but the trunk could hold 2 kegs plus ice. beer.gif

More like 6 Kegs!! beerchug.gif
Ferg
As of now they are "holding" firm on 3,500 IMO to much from what I have seen, if the paint was nicer, I'd be willing to go there, but this has issues with the hood and fender where big chunks of paint are cracked and popping off...

Time will tell if I get a callback...

Ferg
bfrymire
QUOTE(Ferg @ Jun 2 2011, 10:10 AM) *

As of now they are "holding" firm on 3,500 IMO to much from what I have seen, if the paint was nicer, I'd be willing to go there, but this has issues with the hood and fender where big chunks of paint are cracked and popping off...

Time will tell if I get a callback...

Ferg

Patience is your friend. I took two months to buy a car, but finally, the dealer got tired of the car on his lot. Got a good deal.

I am not sure where the dealer got the idea it's worth 6500 retail. ??? I have seen my 200 go for about 4-5k in good shape. (Running well, not major issues, with paint and interior good shape.) Having said that, I paid $500 for mine. (Overheating, and other issues.)

-- brett
underthetire
Ahh, now i know what the 220S is. 220Seconds to 60 MPH. biggrin.gif
JmuRiz
Probably the NADA listing for that model's "average retail" value.

I bought my 280C based on that price...didn't realize those values aren't true market values until I had already bought my car.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(underthetire @ Jun 2 2011, 12:32 PM) *

Downhill, tail wind, straight road, no traffic, floored.

The Cap'n
bfrymire
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jun 2 2011, 12:35 PM) *

QUOTE(underthetire @ Jun 2 2011, 12:32 PM) *

Downhill, tail wind, straight road, no traffic, floored.

The Cap'n

My 200 is special to me as I drove this very car when I was a kid. But, I own several cars, and this old mercedes gets more attention than any other car I have owned. More than the alfa, or the porsche. Some guy in his van full of family, braked hard and made a u-turn to come talk to me about it. I would not have thought that would happen. (I am more happier talking about the 914.)

So, slow, but with a certain "cool" factor.
TargaToy
My boss has a 67 230S, I believe. It has dual Zenith carbs and the problem he has is that the carb bodies warp and leak. Other than that, it's been a very solid car. Slow and heavy...but solid.
Katmanken
Cool car. Dad ordered one and we picked it up at the factory. Loved the comfy red seats, wood dash, and the barber pole speedometer.

A couple of things that I remember. Dad bitching there were 18 zerts to grease in the front suspension. And, when driving past a huge grain silo in Kansas on a normal windy day, the car moved sideways into the other lane when we came out of the lee side. blink.gif

Dad sold it shortly after that so I never was old enough to drive it.

majkos
not 100% original
the left front fender has a different fading of paint
To me and IMHO, what happened?
Dent? accident?
but you're a pro at seeing these simple things

What's really worth to you?
Resale? kinda curious
914-300Hemi
I have a lot of fond memories of that car. When I was 4 my Dad and his 4 other friends got together and bought 5 220 Mercedes. We went on a road trip from England to India, it was a great trip. We even had a mechanic who travelled with us. I fell in love with that car and I would always ask my Dad if he would give me the car when I was old enough to drive but he had to leave the car in India. It is still running today last I checked. I would love to own one day.

Ferg
Saw the fender Kevin, if accident minor one, paint is just faded all over.

I made a offer, they have my #... Sales guy says the guy who traded it in is having second thoughts and may come back for it rolleyes.gif .

I'm not in love with it, I think it's very cool, but only going to spring for it if the $ is right.

Ferg
KELTY360
QUOTE(Ferg @ Jun 3 2011, 07:29 AM) *

I made a offer, they have my #... Sales guy says the guy who traded it in is having second thoughts and may come back for it rolleyes.gif .

I'm not in love with it, I think it's very cool, but only going to spring for it if the $ is right.

Ferg

So I guess that means they don't even have a 'mythical buyer' to leverage with and are claiming seller's remorse of the PO? Don't think I've heard that one before. idea.gif
zymurgist
My mom had a '72 250. I learned to drive in that car. wub.gif
Ferg
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Jun 3 2011, 06:59 AM) *

QUOTE(Ferg @ Jun 3 2011, 07:29 AM) *

Ferg

So I guess that means they don't even have a 'mythical buyer' to leverage with and are claiming seller's remorse of the PO? Don't think I've heard that one before. idea.gif

Exactly laugh.gif
Dr Evil
I kinda miss my 75 240D, but Mercedes SUCK to work on, and that vintage are as described, a ship out of water. Great looking cars, though smile.gif
rfuerst911sc
Many years ago I had a 1961 220SB it was black exterior with red interior. The dash/doors had nice wood inlays. Had a straight six motor with a 4 speed manual on the column it was a nice running motor. It was almost as quiet as a modern engine it was nice. Had a white steering wheel the size of a sailing ship biggrin.gif . Like many cars of my youth I regret letting that one get away.
Ferg
Just got a call from a different sales guy... Told him exactly what I told his boss yesterday shades.gif . Betting I get a call this weekend. confused24.gif
pt_700
a mercedes mechanic who's worked on my e430 has a early 80's 300d coupe as a loaner. although i've never driven(?) a boat, i imagine it would be like piloting that old benz. acceleration is quite liesurely and that big steering wheel seems to send commands down to the suspension, perhaps through a funnel and pipe? little ironic, no? how something so different from our 914s is still so well received by many of us.

good luck michael!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.