Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New ZDDP oils
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
steveherman
some interesting stuff.

"Two new engine oils bring relief to collector car owners"

Jake Raby
No experience with either of these..

We got fed up with dealing with oil companies and doing their aircooled R&D for them and coupled with Joe Gibbs Racing oils to create an aircooled specific engine oil, available exclusively through RAT. Now our "Snake Oil" brand is the only oil that we use.
r_towle
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Jun 2 2011, 09:07 PM) *

We got fed up with dealing with oil companies and doing their aircooled R&D for them and coupled with Joe Gibbs Racing oils to create an aircooled specific engine oil, available exclusively through RAT. Now our "Snake Oil" brand is the only oil that we use.

Is there something lacking, or something missing from Brad Penn oil now?

Rich
charliew
In my flat tappet cam cars that are beaters I use rotella.
sean_v8_914
didnt the spec for even rotela change last year? epa mandated , i think
stewteral
QUOTE(charliew @ Jun 3 2011, 02:59 PM) *

In my flat tappet cam cars that are beaters I use rotella.

Hey Charliew,

I have a 914 V8 and the Chevy has a SMALLER area cam lobe than the 411 so I have foud that most brand oil + ANY ZDDP additive is a JOKE!

First off, in order to achieve the ZDDP protection, it MUST completely DISOLVE into solution in the oil.....many additives do NOT include the additive to make this happen.

2nd, this is an important issue: the AMOUNT of ZDDP needed to protect the extreme loads on the cam & lifter. Happily, the 411 valve train has MUCH larger
cam-lifter area than the Chevy.

In speaking with the Sales Manager for Brad Penn, the company is the re-birth of the old Kendall Oil Company and their oil includes high levels of SOLUABLE ZDDP
and a partial synthetic mixture. It is great at holding oil pressure at any temp.

The bottom line is that BRAD PENN is the GREAT BARGAIN at $5.25/Qt and offers all the protection you need!

Terryu
SLITS
Kendals' new "Liquid Titanium" is another - high Zn content. Using it in the Grey Ghost for fun and when you buy a pallet of it, it's about $31 per case (though the price will come up for sure).
rick 918-S
I've always used Castrol GTX since Kendall dried up many years ago. I just pulled the pan off the Alien and found a thick sludge on the bottom of the pan with carbon sand like granuals in the crud layer. I'm thinking this may have cause my by-pass valve to stick open. I'm never putting this stuff in my engine again.

Hey Ron, Tell us more about the Kendall idea.gif
SLITS
We bought a pallet for the shop (we're cheap). Looking at the specifications, and as memory serves me, the ZDDP was in the 1100+ range (can't check it till Monday). It sounded real good at $2.66 per quart (pallet price was $32.00 per case).

So I thought what the hell and filled the Gray Ghost up .... about 4K on oil change now.

I would have to check with purchasing, but the price may have gone up a tad when they went to purchase another pallet.

It just looked like Kendall (Ashland?) knew they were getting knocked outta the market by Brad Penn and revived the GT1 by renaming it (it ain't green). I could be wrong.

My apologies to all who have done the "extensive" testing, but 12+ quarts per change makes me want to save a couple of bucks.
bulitt
Found this oil as an additional resource. Also the break in additive can be used with any oil to restore ZDDP levels (11$ Summit Racing).

http://www.compcams.com/Products/CC-%27Lubricants%27-0.aspx
Jake Raby
QUOTE(bulitt @ Dec 17 2011, 07:14 AM) *

Found this oil as an additional resource. Also the break in additive can be used with any oil to restore ZDDP levels

According to the API the only acceptable time to utilize an aftermarket oil additive is NEVER...
Doing so creates an imbalance in the anti-wear and detergency packages.
Typically buying a cheaper oil and stimulating it with some additive ends up costing more per quart than buying the proper engine oil to begin with.

Every experience tht I have had with additives has been negative.
underthetire
Hopefully the kendal is better than it used to be. We used only Kendal growing up, and all 3 cars + 2 of my friends cars developed piston slap. I will never use it again.
ripper911
So... how do we buy snake oil? poke.gif
Jake Raby
QUOTE(ripper911 @ Dec 17 2011, 10:26 AM) *

So... how do we buy snake oil? poke.gif

For the past 30 months we have only been selling the oil to our engine purchasers.. I developed the oil with Joe Gibbs for my engines originally and thats all I really cared about.

BUT Gibbs and I struck up a deal where they will be selling the oil retail in 2012, starting in February. The best part is the oil has our endorsement right on the label. I have not decided whether or not we will sell the oil directly through our store or not.

IPB Image

The added revenue stream would be nice, but the hassles and ten thousand questions per month about the product wouldn't be. I have lots of bigger things on the horizon in 2012 and have less time for questions than ever before.

My job with the oil is done now that it has been developed and proven. It is the only oil we have used for 30 months and that includes every application from daily drivers like my Wife's roller cam 2270 that I drove 14,000 miles in 2010, to my 220HP VW Double Cab with a 2.8 liter Type 4, Lens FP 914 with an 1800cc race engine, or a 620HP 2332cc (40 PSI Boost) Type 1 engine for drag racing. The present USE Record holder (Making over 550HP) also used the oil and was part of the developmental program along with 14 other air-cooled vehicles. The range of performance was from 100-620 HP to include being exposed to engines running on Alcohol.
monkeyboy
Jake, will the hot rod shops that carry Joe Gibbs be able to order it?

I don't mind waiting.
Jake Raby
Yes. Any Gibbs retailer can order the oil.
monkeyboy
Thanks, Being in LA, I have access to plenty of hot rod shops to order it from.
carr914
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Dec 17 2011, 02:51 PM) *

Cool, as my Engine Builder's Shop only uses Joe Gibbs Oil.

I like the Old Label better

Click to view attachment
Jake Raby
QUOTE(carr914 @ Dec 17 2011, 05:32 PM) *

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Dec 17 2011, 02:51 PM) *

Cool, as my Engine Builder's Shop only uses Joe Gibbs Oil.

I like the Old Label better

Click to view attachment

I like the old labels better too.. But they needed to keep the labeling the same as the other Gibbs products. Here are my old designs, designed by Steve Schleif, poorsche here on 914 world.
Keep in mind this oil is NOT the same as other offerings.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Razorbobsr
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Jun 2 2011, 08:07 PM) *

Off topic..... Do u guys build engines? Looked but my DA could not find listing for turnkey engines, can u send me to that site? Bob
TheCabinetmaker
Bob, just click on the link at the bottom of Jakes post in his signiture line.
Jake Raby
Our business is the production and development of engines.
See www.aircooledtechnology.com
Then start reading!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.