Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Brazing on the Door Sill
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gudhjem
Most of the holes in my door sill have what looks like brazing work, like this:

Click to view attachment

I'm guessing that's not something the factory ever did. Probably a PO trying to fill in rust holes. Can anyone confirm? I think a new sill is part of my next RD order...

The joint between the door sill and the rear door jam also has brazing, but I think I read somewhere that this WAS the factory (although I couldn't find the thread).

Click to view attachment

barada
QUOTE(Gudhjem @ Jun 2 2011, 07:46 PM) *

Most of the holes in my door sill have what looks like brazing work, like this:

Click to view attachment

I'm guessing that's not something the factory ever did. Probably a PO trying to fill in rust holes. Can anyone confirm? I think a new sill is part of my next RD order...

The joint between the door sill and the rear door jam also has brazing, but I think I read somewhere that this WAS the factory (although I couldn't find the thread).

Click to view attachment

I have seen the brazing in the door sill on two I have worked on, never seen it on the door.

Phillip
Tom_T
Looks like PO or a body shop brazing (or leading) for rust repair to me - esp. the 1st pic where you can see the irregular rust area's shape of the old rust worked loose as new rust developed around the edges - which I-m guessing you wire-wheeled out. biggrin.gif
iamchappy
All of the 914's i have had were brazed on the sills, including my original owned from new car.
jaxdream
Brazing also around the brake cable tubes .

Jack
PeeGreen 914
I just took the interior of my 75 down to metal and see no brazing.
charliew
My 75 has the brazing in the joint and it's got factory paint in that area. They did it to glue too pieces of steel together and to keep the heat as low as possible and that spot is hard to spotweld. The back side can't be reached with the other contact of the spotwelder I'm thinking.
McMark
Pic #1 is absolutely not stock.
Pic #2 is possibly original.

There is some brazing on the car, but it's minimal and mostly in tight corners and only small sections, never long runs.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(McMark @ Jun 3 2011, 05:12 PM) *

Pic #1 is absolutely not stock.
Pic #2 is possibly original.

There is some brazing on the car, but it's minimal and mostly in tight corners and only small sections, never long runs.

agree.gif Someones been playin welder.gif
Eric_Shea
agree.gif

1 = not original
2 = possible and probable.

As Jack mentions, tubes and other areas (rear apron corners) are brazed.
whatabout1
My '73 had brazing as in #2 pic.
TargaToy
My sills were brazed and it looked stock--plus, I remember reading that's how it was done.

However, today I was working on the dog leg behind the driver's front wheel arch and somebody had repaired a crack/puncture in that panel (poorly) with braze. I had to grind it out before I could re-weld it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.