Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: LS1 engine put in 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jim dorociak
Who has put a Chevrolet LS1 engine into a 914. I am having trouble finding a thread.
Please can someone help me find what I am looking for? Thank you. Jim

jdorociak@gmail.com
Rotary'14
QUOTE(jim dorociak @ Jun 2 2011, 05:08 PM) *

Who has put a Chevrolet LS1 engine into a 914. I am having trouble finding a thread.
Please can someone help me find what I am looking for? Thank you. Jim

jdorociak@gmail.com

This guy did it,,,,
http://toy-jet.com/Index6.html

But I'd duct the air out of the front a bit different than that guy.

-Robert
Rand
Renegade has everything you'd need:
http://renegadehybrids.com/914/LS/LS-Series.html
jmmotorsports
I put an LS1 in my car this winter. I had a 350 SBC and wanted a lighter engine with modern EFI and engine management.. The only thing usable of the SBC swap parts was the motor mount bar and trans set back mounts. I used Meziere electric water pump. For the water inlet and outlet on the block I removed the pump impeller and cut the nose off the pump to shorten it enough to get the engine to fit. Because the water goes into and out through the pump there are passages that have to be modified when the impeller is removed.
It is not anywhere as easy or inexpensive as an SBC swap but I think it is worth the effort. There are 2 or 3 others on here that have done this swap and it seems they all have done things a little different.

Jerry
jim dorociak
Thank you guys for your responses. Jerry did you post a build thread on your car? jdorociak@gmail.com Thank you. Jim
jmmotorsports
QUOTE(jim dorociak @ Jun 2 2011, 07:15 PM) *

Thank you guys for your responses. Jerry did you post a build thread on your car? jdorociak@gmail.com Thank you. Jim

I did not post a build thread. BIGCAT 83 has a blog with info on how he did his. I think andys has a build thread on his.

Jerry
andys
Didn't do a build thread, though perhaps once it's completely done, I will. I went with an Audi 6 speed transaxle and some custom trailing arms to complicate the build further. TurboWalt also did an LS1/Audi. Yeah, I love the modern EFI as well. It can sit for a month, then starts instantly....drives like grandma's sedan (well, not quite).

Andys
TurboWalt
Mine is a work in progress. I'm playing project manager from Baghdad. No build thread sad.gif I will share pics as I get them. I'm using Renegade swap components on the engine side. Custom adapter for the Audi 01E.

Walt
jim dorociak
I have a 915 transmission that has a chevy bellhousing welded on so bolting to a chevrolet engine would be easy since all the work to make the 915 work in a 914 has been done. It appears that a aluminum V8 would be very exciting. Pictures would be great. Thanks to all. jdorociak@gmail.com Jim
BIGKAT_83
QUOTE(jim dorociak @ Jun 3 2011, 10:19 AM) *

I have a 915 transmission that has a chevy bellhousing welded on so bolting to a chevrolet engine would be easy since all the work to make the 915 work in a 914 has been done. It appears that a aluminum V8 would be very exciting. Pictures would be great. Thanks to all. jdorociak@gmail.com Jim

Lets see some pictures of that transaxle... Sounds interesting. blink.gif
Bob
ChrisFoley
Customer's car. I don't have a lot of pictures.
Here are two of the front of the engine, with and without the water pump.
This car has a custom fiberglass firewall which requires the seats to be a couple inches forward of the normal rearward position.
The engine is connected to a 930 transmission.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Andyrew
QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ Jun 3 2011, 08:31 AM) *

QUOTE(jim dorociak @ Jun 3 2011, 10:19 AM) *

Lets see some pictures of that transaxle... Sounds interesting. blink.gif
Bob

Bob, Do a search for Jaide Car (Sp?). It was a kit that was produced in the 80's, they cut the factory bolt pattern out and bolted a machined chevy bellhousing on. Uses stock Chevy clutch components. Trick setup, I had a kit but I sold it to fund a house purchase.
jmmotorsports
QUOTE(jim dorociak @ Jun 3 2011, 07:19 AM) *

I don't think the bellhousing bolt pattern on the SBC is the same as an LSI.

Jerry
BIGKAT_83
The bell housing has the samebolt pattern...but the crankshaft is at a different depth than the SBC. They (GM)do make spacers that go under the flywheel that move it out to the same position as the SBC. That why the adapter plate for the LS1 is not as thick as the SBC one.
I had asked for pictures of the transaxle and wanted to see if it had the adapter on the mainshaft that extended and adapeted the splines from the porsche to the chevy clutch splines. Had some pictures of this but can't seem to find them.

Bob
Andyrew
IPB Image

This one bob?
jim dorociak
I have it packed away, but will get it out and post some pictures. This transmission besides having the chevy bellhousing it also has internal sideshift components that were copied off the 916 sideshift factory conversion parts to make the 915 shift better in the mid engine configuration. Jim
jim dorociak
Andrew that is the one that I have. Thanks for the information. I think it is quite rare. Jim
BIGKAT_83
Wait there is another problem. I think you would be able make up any difference in the flywheel depth with that intermediate shaft.
It looks like the bell housing is for the small GM 153 tooth flywheel.

I don't think you will be able to bolt this to the LS1 crankshaft being that all of the 153 tooth flywheels are for the early rear crankshaft flanges pre 86 or 2 peace rear seal.

Bob
jim dorociak
I am not sure I got the intermediate shaft as I really bought this to get the side shift 916 components. My tranny also has LSD installed. Jim
BIGKAT_83
I know someone that could make you that intermediate shaft. But I'll bet it would cost as much as you paid for the transaxle. headbang.gif

Bob
ewdysar
For anyone that is thinking about putting an LS motor and 915 trans into their 914, Renegade makes all of the neccessary parts. They also can adapt an SBC to the same transmission. That's what I'm doing to upgrade from my 901 trans.

They also have the right parts for using either motor with a 901 setup. They also have a suby conversion kit.
TurboWalt
If I were starting over I'd be using the newly released Factory Five Racing transaxle.
jim dorociak
Does this engine fit without cutting the rear firewall? Are the physical dimensions of the LS2 the same as the LS1? Jim jdorociak@gmail.com
andys
QUOTE(TurboWalt @ Jun 5 2011, 01:34 AM) *

If I were starting over I'd be using the newly released Factory Five Racing transaxle.

Walt,

I've been loosely monitoring the FF site for Mendeola info. Apparently they (Mendeola) are yet to receive ring and pinions from their supplier after which they'll assemble and ship (?) to FF. Do any of those guys on the FF GTM forum have any feedback on the transaxle (or have any even been installed yet)?

Andys
Zimms
QUOTE(jim dorociak @ Jun 8 2011, 03:58 PM) *

Does this engine fit without cutting the rear firewall? Are the physical dimensions of the LS2 the same as the LS1? Jim jdorociak@gmail.com

There was an LS1 conversion at Jake's Aircooled Invasion. The firewall was not cut. He did have a bunch of the trunk cut out, but I think taht was because he has it braced up and tracks the car. He reversed the intake so it was facing the rear.

I think he is a member, but does not post much. The exhaust looked really nice, and e had a cool diffuser on the rear that he modeled after a DTM stype diffuser.

Click to view attachment

Zimms
Exhuast:

Click to view attachment

The muffler is a small flowmaster right above the sticker. and the pipes come together at the center rear and exit like a boxster.
Zimms
Rear diffuser and exhaust exit:

Click to view attachment

The funny part was as we were talking, he mentioned the rockers must have been repainted black, as a few chipped spots show orange. The car is a '74 and the VIN ends with 15028. idea.gif

I liked the diffuser. bHe said taht he only has seat of the pants feedback, but felt the car stuck better in the rear with it on.
jmmotorsports
QUOTE(jim dorociak @ Jun 8 2011, 12:58 PM) *

This is how I did mine.

JerryClick to view attachment
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(jim dorociak @ Jun 8 2011, 03:58 PM) *

The engine can be installed forward enough to avoid modding the rear firewall - except for the intake.
I think LS1 and LS2 are the same dimensions except for ancillary components.
Click to view attachment
andys
Nothing real recent, but here's my trunk wall cut out. My intake is similar to Chris' white car (I actually copied his idea).

Andys
andys
QUOTE(jmmotorsports @ Jun 9 2011, 06:11 AM) *

This is how I did mine.

JerryClick to view attachment

Jerry,

Where did you mount your PCM? Clean install!

Andys
914.SBC
You guys are incredible. Unbelieveable this can be done. The 914 is the perfect race car and accepts like 8 different engines and several transaxles. What other car can do this.
jmmotorsports
Andy,
I mounted the PCM in in the left front corner of the engine compartment. Had the harness made to fit with the manifold reversed and the PCM in this location.

Jerry
Click to view attachment
Mueller
Bump'n an old thread smile.gif

Looks like the LS1 would fit a tad better with ITB's?

Yes, no?

Seems like the intake is the fitment issue?
tomrev
[quote name='Mueller' date='Apr 24 2015, 08:34 AM' post='2178155']
Bump'n an old thread smile.gif

Looks like the LS1 would fit a tad better with ITB's?

Yes, no?

Seems like the intake is the fitment issue?

The manifold fit isn't too much work, ITB's are OK on a race car, but horrible to get working for a street car that pot's around at part throttle most of the time.
bulitt
Conversion thread list-

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=20374&hl=
EdwardBlume
I love seeing these threads.... makes me want to drive an LS1 conversion.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.