Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: "Break-in" for new & rebuilt engines
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rog914
Found this on the www awhile back and thought I'd post here to see what you all think.

Break-in secrets

What do you think, Brad, Jake, anybody.

Ralph

74 2.0
Rog914
Edited post to make easier to get to website
SpecialK
Hmmm....It makes sense in reference to the rings, but totally omits concern with breaking in the cam and lifters. idea.gif

definitely need Jake or Brads input on this one. pray.gif
jarbuthnot
This is very timely. I hope to get mine back with a new 2.0 engine next week; need some additional parts (my mechanic has that dreaded disease discussed in earlier threads and I'm glad he does). Anyway, when I drive it home, which is 40 miles of twisty, hilly road with some straight, should I drive as I normally do - at the top of the range for each gear before I shift up?

From reading the article, it sounds like I should. And does that mean that's all I have to do? My mechanic will be doing the first oil change, etc. before I get it.
Jake Raby
1- Crank for oil pressure
2- ensure the engine is actually ready to fire up
3- fire it up and look for leaks and listen for sounds
4- let it run at no les than 2500 RPM for atleast a half hour, DO NOT let it idle!
6- Shut it down and let it cool off completely, then let it run again for 15-20 minutes and then you can let it idle.

7- install it into the car, drive it just like you normally would. If you drive it a long distance vary your speed.... Don't be afraid to wind it up, if its gonna scatter it'll do it whether you pussyfoot it or not..

I fire them up and break them in and take'em straight to redline and beat on them for 8 hours.
swood
Is that for non ceramic lifters or all types?
jarbuthnot
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Jun 8 2004, 09:20 PM)
Don't be afraid to wind it up, if its gonna scatter it'll do it whether you pussyfoot it or not..

Thanks Jake. My mechanic is going to do items 1-7 1/3 and I'm doing the rest. Just didn't know if I had to be careful on the way home. On the road home, I have no choice but to vary my speed.
Jake Raby
With ceramic lifters just crank the engine and let it idle right off the bat. They need no break in. They are indestructible.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.