Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Should the floor pans flex when I step/jump
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
corpselaurel
So far I have found only a couple small holes in the floor pan (I still need to get all of the sound detonating out though.

But the floor pan flexes when I step and jump etc. Is this bad? Should I go ahead and replace the whol pan?

What do you think about using reg sheet metal (not molded for the 914)?
SirAndy
after i patched all the holes in mine, it still flexes when i put all my weight in one spot.
i think that's OK as long as you don't fall through. <_<

i would use patch panels out of a donor car that fit correctly over the stamped parts. makes welding soooo much easier and you need less(actually none) seam-sealer to hide the gaps ...

the hole:
IPB Image

and the patch (kinda hard to see, but i used a original floor pan patch from a donor car):
corpselaurel
That looks great. I was thinking of cutting out the whole pan area around the tunnel etc that way I could just put a piece of 16 gauge in each spot (4 pieces).

What do you think?
SirAndy
QUOTE(corpselaurel @ Jun 8 2004, 12:56 PM)
What do you think?

if you have some money to spend, get a complete floor-pan replacement from restauration design.
their stuff is awesome!

http://www.restoration-design.com/

front half:
IPB Image

rear half:
IPB Image

they're only $115 each and well worth the money!
Andy
corpselaurel
I am debating it right now. I don't know how much some reg. sheet metal costs - any ideas - I need to look into it.

If the panels are not much more than sure, but I really don't care if the floor isn't molded etc.

Anyone have a firewall replacement panel(s). I know I can get the lower 5 in but I might need a bigger piece.
cooltimes
If you don't see rust on the bottom side of the panel, best to just do the patch. You do need to use metal that looks like the original, with the ridges which strengthen the sheet metal because you already mentioned you feel a flex. Cutting out the complete floor is a pia. BTDT several times and results always look like an amateur did it with a sawzall unless you have the professional bodyworks skills.
SirAndy
QUOTE(corpselaurel @ Jun 8 2004, 01:49 PM)
but I really don't care if the floor isn't molded etc.

well, the *rips* is what gives it it's strength. a flat piece of metal will flex even more ...

plus, the floor is not flat, it has a elevation change in the front ...
smash.gif Andy
corpselaurel
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 8 2004, 01:49 PM)
QUOTE(corpselaurel @ Jun 8 2004, 01:49 PM)
but I really don't care if the floor isn't molded etc.

well, the *rips* is what gives it it's strength. a flat piece of metal will flex even more ...

plus, the floor is not flat, it has a elevation change in the front ...
smash.gif Andy

I have driven a 914 that had reg sheet metal for the floor pan - it seemed fine. huh.gif

You don't thing a sheet of 16 gauge would be stronger that what it has?
SirAndy
QUOTE(corpselaurel @ Jun 8 2004, 02:55 PM)

it sounds like you had already made up your mind anyways before you posted your question. wink.gif

it's your car, do whatever you like and your budget allows you.
doesn't matter if i think you shouldn't, you are the one who has to feel ok about it!

boldblue.gif Andy
lapuwali
From my supplier, at least, a sheet of 16g mild steel 48" square is about $50. Plus I have to cut and shape it to fit the space. For $115, the Resto Design stuff looks MUCH nicer and involves a lot less prep on my part to install. Do a good job welding, and no one is even going to know the floor was replaced. If you happen to have the sheet already, or have a cheaper supplier, then that obviously sways the case. But the Resto Design stuff really doesn't cost that much, and really is top-notch.
corpselaurel
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 8 2004, 02:01 PM)
QUOTE(corpselaurel @ Jun 8 2004, 02:55 PM)

it sounds like you had already made up your mind anyways before you posted your question. wink.gif

it's your car, do whatever you like and your budget allows you.
doesn't matter if i think you shouldn't, you are the one who has to feel ok about it!

boldblue.gif Andy

umm no. i posted to get several opinions. It seems that your offended at the idea of not using the stock type pans. Don't take it so personally damn.

I wanted to hear some honest opinions on it, that is all. I hate to say this but the more I hang out here the more it seems that the porsche crowd is all about 'rice'. It is as bad as the 'jdm' crowd in the honda scene.

If it comes out cheaper and is just as good without the OEM bling to it that is fine for me. If it is not as good (strong etc.) I will get the OEM type panels. A little more cutting while I am already welding, cutting and grinding is no big deal to me.
SirAndy
QUOTE(corpselaurel @ Jun 8 2004, 04:10 PM)
Don't take it so personally damn.

yada yada yada, i don't ... that's why i told you to do whatever you feel comfortable with ...
yes, i dislike replacing large patches of sheetmetal with home-made panels. that's my personal preference and part of the "opinions" you asked for ...

I hate to say this but the more I hang out here the more it seems that the porsche crowd is all about 'rice'.  It is as bad as the 'jdm' crowd in the honda scene.

rice? confused24.gif how does getting OEM replacement sheetmetal translate into rice???
now if i had said you should use carbon-fiber floorpans and put a blue light underneath ....

A little more cutting while I am already welding, cutting and grinding is no big deal to me.

cool. post pics either way. we love pics here ... wub.gif

smash.gif Andy
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 8 2004, 04:24 PM)
I hate to say this but the more I hang out here the more it seems that the porsche crowd is all about 'rice'.  It is as bad as the 'jdm' crowd in the honda scene.

rice? confused24.gif how does getting OEM replacement sheetmetal translate into rice???
now if i had said you should use carbon-fiber floorpans and put a blue light underneath ....

yeah, i got lost in the rice metaphor too blink.gif

welder.gif weld on bro!
corpselaurel
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 8 2004, 03:24 PM)
yes, i dislike replacing large patches of sheetmetal with home-made panels.

I knew it smilie_pokal.gif

that's my personal preference and part of the "opinions" you asked for ...

Sorry for the confusion. I meant opinions on strength and price (which I believe you gave as well, thanks.) I wasn't looking for personal preference as far as retaining the OEM look on a panel that will rarely be visible.

rice?  confused24.gif  how does getting OEM replacement sheetmetal translate into rice???

I am sure you realize that getting the same functionality for less as opposed to OEM bling for more is what I meant.

cool. post pics either way. we love pics here ...  wub.gif

I will when I finish.

smash.gif  Andy

Those smash things are really offensive - what do you mean by that?

Thanks for your help BTW.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(corpselaurel @ Jun 8 2004, 04:45 PM)

smash.gif  Andy

Those smash things are really offensive - what do you mean by that?

Thanks for your help BTW.

i believe its referring to pounding and stuff, i.e. working on a car
corpselaurel
Oh okay. I thought it was one of those "you are an idiot" hammer on head things.
I am sensitive biggrin.gif
Katmanken
You could mod your floor like a coupla old buds of mine did to their autocross beetle. After they chopped the top, they cut out the floor and riveted in very thin aluminum sheet.

The theory was: Mo-mo go-fast with the weight reduction. The aluminum sheets were used newspaper printing plates and they still had writing and pictures etched in them. Hadda be careful getting in cuz you could put your foot through those thin flexy floors. laugh.gif

Tom usta joke about having something to read while waiting for a run. Then again , he got third in the Southeast nationals one year. Harry Heimdahl was first in his Ford GT-40 and "poor" Tom was third. smilie_pokal.gif

Ken
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(corpselaurel @ Jun 8 2004, 04:52 PM)
Oh okay.  I thought it was one of those "you are an idiot" hammer on head things.

we can tell bootyshake.gif .... sorry i had to biggrin.gif
Mark Henry
I've seen many a VW bug with butchered sheet metal floor pans and everytime it makes me want to barf.gif

I do aprasials on aircooled VW's and it's an automatic $1500-3000+ degrade in value. Some guys get pissed about this, I just say "oh well...go somewhere's else".
BTW it's the first thing I look at when doing this service.

Do it right.
Katmanken
Actually Mark,

It was an out and out race car. Windows were slits, horsepower was 176 at the rear wheels. Like I said, it got beat by a Ford GT-40 and a V-8 tube frame car. Not bad for a beetle. lol2.gif

Louvered fenders, no rear window, and louvered floors stopped the embarrasment of high speed aerodynamic lift. huh.gif

Ken
Rusty
QUOTE(corpselaurel @ Jun 9 2004, 03:52 AM)

I noticed. <_<

Look... about that rice comment. The factory was pretty darned smart when they engineered this thing, and most of the technology was far ahead of their contemporaries. It's far cheaper to use a section of flat steel, as opposed to developing highly intricate stampings. Why would the factory spend money on design that it could easily have pocketed?

If the factory put ribs and contours into the floor pan, there's a reason. Maybe it has something to do with the lateral and axial stresses that this car experiences - on the racetrack, and on the street with the top off. Porsches are different in body design, engine placement and overall engineering. But WTF do I know... I'm just a dumb soldier.

It's your car. Do whatever you want.

-L
Mark Henry
QUOTE(kwales @ Jun 8 2004, 04:18 PM)
Actually Mark,

It was an out and out race car. Windows were slits, horsepower was 176 at the rear wheels. Like I said, it got beat by a Ford GT-40 and a V-8 tube frame car. Not bad for a beetle. lol2.gif

Louvered fenders, no rear window, and louvered floors stopped the embarrasment of high speed aerodynamic lift. huh.gif

Ken

I would quote a racecar different, although if it's street legal that might hurt your rate smile.gif

I just did a nice tube frame rail buggy, SS sides and floors, custom glass top, rims, engine, yada, yada...$6000 Canadian replacement value.

I was referring to a stock or stockish bug, you wouldn't believe some of the total crap I've seen.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.