Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Headers for stock 1.8
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
grantsfo
Would headers for 1.8 offer much of HP increase for stock 1.8? I know bolt ons dont offer a tremendous amout of hp increase, but any little bit would help until I rebuild my engine. Is stock intake the best I can do? Is there anything out there that might be a better choice for intake?

Which header would be best for this engine?
Mark Henry
A tangerine header is the best, but not cheap.

It might not add big hp on the stock 1.8, but it would be one less thing to buy when you did a big T4. With a big T4 it will add huge hp numbers.
grantsfo
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jun 8 2004, 09:46 AM)
A tangerine header is the best, but not cheap.

It might not add big hp on the stock 1.8, but it would be one less thing to buy when you did a big T4. With a big T4 it will add huge hp numbers.

Thanks! Those look very very nice and are quite expensive. Is there something out there that might be one notch down from those?
Mueller
A nice ceramic coated European Racing Header (see our 914 resource area) would be a nice and less expensive alternative.

It will breath a little bit more, but you also get a lighter exhaust assembly.

For the muffler, titanium is starting to be used and offered more and more.
Dave_Darling
And, even cheaper (and somewhat less effective), you have http://www.kerryhunterenterprise.com .

Guess at a 3-10 HP gain from a real header, depending on a lot of factors. Probably toward the lower end on an otherwise-stock 1.8 motor.

--DD
grantsfo
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jun 8 2004, 01:38 PM)
And, even cheaper (and somewhat less effective), you have http://www.kerryhunterenterprise.com .

Guess at a 3-10 HP gain from a real header, depending on a lot of factors.  Probably toward the lower end on an otherwise-stock 1.8 motor.

--DD

Anything else I can do to squeeze a few more HP out of the 1.8 before I rebuild it? It still is running strong so I'd hate to tear it down yet. I was thinking of putting $1000- $1500 into modest improvements for this year and then next year go for major rebuild.

I'm constantly depressed on how expensive it is to squeeze power out of these engines. I should know better by now after having three. I just keep hoping some new development comes from a performance engineering shop.

I always contrast my 914 to my Toyota. I can get 15 more HP out of my 1.5 liter toyota engine by adding a header intake and reprogramed ecu for under $1500. Its tough having a 120 hp 2000lb Toyota Echo that can run away from my 914.
Mueller
depending on how much work you can do yourself, there are only 2 semi-bolt-on options to get a substantial power increase* without dropping the motor in my opinion for about $1500.......turbo or supercharger MDB2.gif

our cars just don't respond to the typical "ricer" or Mustang 5.0 catalog bolt-on performance parts...........

*tire smoking, grin producing... burnout.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.