Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rebuild advice
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tscrihfield
So I have a concern. During the inspection of a crank I recently obtained I found discoloration (much like gun blue) on the area outside of the middle main journal. I'm not as versatile in air-cooled engines and im not sure if this is normal??? All of the journals mic'd fine and well within spec. This is not a good sign when dealing with most engines I know, but I am wondering if this is normal. Would this be a replace scenario?
tscrihfield
To clarify it is in the thrust bearing area, not on the actual journal itself.
r_towle
Not sure where you are talking about.
Is this a used crank?
You may want to get it polished.

Rich
Jake Raby
Totally normal if its what I believe that it is.. I have seen NOS cranks for TIV engines have this discoloration.
post some pics.
tscrihfield
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Jun 2 2011, 11:05 PM) *

Totally normal if its what I believe that it is.. I have seen NOS cranks for TIV engines have this discoloration.
post some pics.

Will post pictures when I get home. This is a stock 2 liter crank and it is used, but the journals are in terrific shape.
tscrihfield
QUOTE(tscrihfield @ Jun 3 2011, 10:02 AM) *

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Jun 2 2011, 11:05 PM) *

post some pics.

Will post pictures when I get home. This is a stock 2 liter crank and it is used, but the journals are in terrific shape.

IPB Image

This is the area of discoloration... Let me know what you think. I will have it polished anyway but this is my only area of concern.
Don M
appears to be trace discoloration from factory induction hardening process, as long as size, finish and run-out are acceptable not a problem
tscrihfield
QUOTE(Don M @ Jun 4 2011, 09:18 AM) *

appears to be trace discoloration from factory induction hardening process, as long as size, finish and run-out are acceptable not a problem

Thanks! Glad to hear that! I thought it might have been from heat treating but wasn't so sure!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.