Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I got her wet
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ninefourteener
Ok, so perhaps this isn't a big deal to most of you, but to me... I feel something has been tarnished. I'm quite proud to say that in the 1.5 years that I've owned my car, with the exception of a VERY mild "drizzle" once, my baby has never seen an ounce of precipitation, of any kind.

My baby lost her "rain virginity" today.

So I drove the teener back from work today after my lunchbreak... topless.... enjoying the sun.

A co-worker came into my office and said "it's raining". My car wasn't drenched, but definately recieved a nice interior "shower". I buttoned her up real quick.. and began to drive home to swap cars.

Before I got out of the parking lot, the entire area was subjected to a damn-near torrential downpour. Although the excessive (and intentional) oversteer was quite enjoyable around the corners... and I discovered that the seals do in fact work (no leaks)...... I'm still rather depressed over the entire incident.

I'm considering getting her an un-needed oil change, just to say "I'm sorry"

Am I completely lost or what?? Anyone else share my pain??
SirAndy
QUOTE(ninefourteener @ Jun 8 2004, 12:04 PM)
(no leaks)......

you are a liar! laugh.gif

if you have a garage, take the top off and open the doors and let her "air out", you don't want to keep the moisture in there.

- check behind the seats for standing water (under the carpet)
- also check the rear trunk (under the carpet spunge which you hopefully already threw into the trash)
- run the blower fan, both the fresh air in the front and the heater in the back for a few minutes
- make sure your headlight bucket drains are not plugged
- make sure your engine shelf drains are not plugged (YES, your car has those, i bet you didn't know wink.gif )

i probably forgot some spots,
rolleyes.gif Andy
Chris H.
OK, I admit it... I feel the same way.

Because I live in an area that is known to be hard on cars, and I brought mine in from Cali (YES IT IS RUST FREE!), I feel a sense of duty to keep the little guy dry and clean. I never drive it if the weather is iffy.

So the other day I go to the store and it is very clear, sunny, blah blah blah... For some unknown reason I put the top back on before I went in..thank God! As I am checking out the clerk yells "daaaaaang!" I know immedately what has happened. Sudden showers are drenching my baby. My wife was with me so I didn't completely freak out, but it was the first time the car had gotten rained on in more than 2 years.

Guess what? It didn't hurt it AT ALL!!!!!! wink.gif

Of course I dried it off for an hour! laugh.gif
ninefourteener
LMFAO!!!

No.. believe it or not.. the car doesn't leak. Even when I was it, the inside of the windows are still dry.

The sponge under the carpet in the rear trunk?? I should throw that away?? Why?

Matt
SirAndy
QUOTE(ninefourteener @ Jun 8 2004, 12:48 PM)
The sponge under the carpet in the rear trunk?? I should throw that away?? Why?

because it works ...

a sponge soaks up water. and keeps it there for weeks.
makes for a nice rusted out rear trunk.

i have seen it many, many times, just like this:
IPB Image

<_< Andy
aircooledboy
Please exsqueese the hi-jack in advance:

Hey Andy, I recognize that trunk. Any idea when us non-WWC attendee losers are gonna hear the details on that rascal?
SirAndy
QUOTE(aircooledboy @ Jun 8 2004, 01:18 PM)
Hey Andy, I recognize that trunk. Any idea when us non-WWC attendee losers are gonna hear the details on that rascal?

brad is cleaning up the hidden and oh so secret "#4" forum right now and it'll be open to the public soon!

then we need guys with wads of cash to help finance the restauration.
we'll need at least $100k, probably more. almost ALL parts have to be hand-made, there's nothing *production* on that car ...

smash.gif Andy
Chris H.
agree.gif

I was wondering that too! What color was #4 originally anyway? Looks like orange outside, some blue in the trunks. What gives?
Mueller
Am I completely lost or what?? Anyone else share my pain??

you sound worse than a 356 owner laugh.gif
StratPlayer
Just buy her a pizza and she'll be happy.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Jun 8 2004, 01:28 PM)
What color was #4 originally  anyway?  Looks like orange outside, some blue in the trunks.

original color was some kind of dark purple ...
outside was repainted yellow ...

we're pretty sure it's a standard 911 color of the time, the closest i could find right now is the pic below, but the actual color is a bit more purple and not as blue.
i had a better pic of a 911 (color wise) but i can't find it anymore ...

unsure.gif Andy
Joe.D
Hey Andy,

I've seen (and touched) that trunk too, and I'm all the way over here or on the right coast. Go figure that one out :-)

Now regarding the trunk sponges. In Mid '74 they started shipping a mat encased in plastic - in theory to solve the mosture holding problem. I think it may have helped, but I have one of those which is almost entirely rust colored on the bottom, so I have evidence in hand that it didn't solve the problem. Once moisture is in the trunk, it'll start to rust. I think the heat from the exhaust and engine creates a mini rain forest in there whenever the humidity is high.

I'd say if the rear trunk is moist, it must be vented ASAP, no matter what's under the rug...

Joe
lapuwali
OOHHH, I wonder if the original color was Aubergine (eggplant). IMHO, that's one of the prettiest, and most underused colors on the early 911. I wonder what a 914 would look like in that color.
MattR
QUOTE(ninefourteener @ Jun 8 2004, 11:04 AM)
...rain...

whats that?

rocking nana.gif
SpecialK
QUOTE(MattR @ Jun 8 2004, 02:37 PM)
QUOTE(ninefourteener @ Jun 8 2004, 11:04 AM)
...rain...

whats that?

rocking nana.gif

finger.gif biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.