Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to remove head rest from LeMans GTS seat?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GaroldShaffer
I have a pair of LeMans GTS seats in my 914. I LOVE THEM!!!!!!!!! except for the headrest. While it is great from street driving its is annoying as hell for me when I AX. With my helmet on over my fat head, the back of the helmet hits the headrest and pushes my head forward. dry.gif

What I want to do is remove the headrest for AXing and put it in for street driving. I can raise it all the way up, but can not get it to come out. Is there a trick to that or can't you remove it?

Thanks
nsr-jamie
Is there some kind of tab in there you need to press down in to the tube so it can slide out?

Honestly I have never seen the Leman GTS seats in person but would like to own a pair of them.

I do remember seeing a picture of a Lemans seat with the head rest not attached so I am sure there has to be some kind of way...

By the way, can you post some pictures of your seats and the interior. I would love to see them and how they look in the car. Thank you !!
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(nsr-jamie @ Jun 3 2011, 06:32 AM) *

Is there some kind of tab in there you need to press down in to the tube so it can slide out?

Honestly I have never seen the Leman GTS seats in person but would like to own a pair of them.

I do remember seeing a picture of a Lemans seat with the head rest not attached so I am sure there has to be some kind of way...

By the way, can you post some pictures of your seats and the interior. I would love to see them and how they look in the car. Thank you !!

There is nothing that I can see OR feel that will totally release the headrest.

Here are some pictures of when I put the drivers seat in and when I redid the carpet and added a passenger seat.

eric9144
I have a set of Konig seats and have the same problem--hoping someone's got an answer--When they were 'new' they shipped with the headrest separate, at some point mine got pushed down to 'normal' headrest height and wont come back up...
r_towle
sawzall-smiley.gif
JmuRiz
QUOTE(eric9144 @ Jun 3 2011, 09:19 AM) *

I have a set of Konig seats and have the same problem--hoping someone's got an answer--When they were 'new' they shipped with the headrest separate, at some point mine got pushed down to 'normal' headrest height and wont come back up...

Same here, never figured out how to get the headrests off.
GaroldShaffer
Just a quick update. I still can't get the headrest off, but I sent Craig at Camp914 (where I bought the seats from) an email and he forwarded my question to GTS. I got a very prompt email back from Stefan at GTS with some instructiosn on how to do it.

if you pull on the headrest they should come out,if not,on the headrest mounting supports are little springs that hold the headrest in position,they might be a bit stiff but by pushing from the rear on them they should release the headrest.Best would be to pull on the headrest if resistamce persist when the roof is off,gives you a netter action amd you can apply a bit more strength.You might also want to put some lubricant down the headrest posts.If you have questions give me a call

I don't see the springs he is talking about so I still can't get the headrest off. I will be calling Stefan this afternoon at the number he gave me. I just wanted to say THANK YOU to Craig & Stefan for your help so far with my little issue.

I will update later after I talk with Stefan.
r_towle
spring may be behind the rear vinyl, just below the top of the seat.
Feel around the headrest posts to see if you feel a spring you can push in from behind.

Rich
eric9144
I hope you find the "magic button" Garold--definitely post the outcome (pics help too)! I'm really hoping that this will be the same fix on the Konig head rests too...
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 22 2011, 08:12 AM) *

spring may be behind the rear vinyl, just below the top of the seat.
Feel around the headrest posts to see if you feel a spring you can push in from behind.

Rich

YaaHooo Success aktion035.gif

Rich was right, if I felt down about 2- 3 inches BELOW the top of the seat on the back side and I could feel the spring that Stefan was talking about. It took a little work, but the headrest is out!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now I get to AX this weekend without my head pushed forward.

smilie_pokal.gif driving.gif aktion035.gif
eric9144
Where's the location of the 'spring'--would it be a straight line down from the poles of the head rests? Just wondering--hoping to heck that this will work for my seats too, cant wait to try when I get home...

Congratulations! beerchug.gif
r_towle
the spring type is key.
If its normal it may be on the inboard side or outboard side of the post itself...
Its a locking spring that when expanded, it locks around the post...when you squish it, it opens up the middle section so you can move the headrest.

So, the place to feel is under the top section of the seat "frame" to see if you can feel a spring....might even feel like a wire...
Typically its right up at the edge of the vinyl so if you rub your fingers over that area....one point will be pronounced.

saying all that...I have never seen these seats, just saying that is how some of the hidden springs I have seen work.

The VW ones are on top of the seat, but they are hard to see.
Same type of spring, very small wire to find with your fingers or a dull tool.
GaroldShaffer
For the LeMans seats they are straight in line with headrest posts. I pulled the headrest all the way up then felt down back side of the seat in line where the headrest posts are and I could feel the sping/button/clip thingy. I just pushed on it with one hand and pulled the headrest up with the other and presto..... headrest came out.
GaroldShaffer
Here are some pictures Stefan sent me showing where the clip is located inside the seat.

Once again I want to say Craig at Camp 914 & Stefan at GTS are top notch with customer support. Thanks guys
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.