Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1.8 PCA AX classing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
grantsfo
Curious where my 1.8 is formally classed in PCA? It has 22mm front bar, 140 lb rear springs, Yellow Koni's, street tires and stock 1.8. I was running in stock class in WCC AX, but is my car considered improved according to PCA rules?
Demick
There are no standard PCA rules. But I assume you are probably talking about GGR rules. From your description you would be classed in Ai (which is improved class for 1.7 and 1.8L 914's as well as 924's and 912's). But there are a variety of other things which could bump up your class. Rule book is online:

GGR Rule Book
Part Pricer
This is not an easy question to answer. It really depends upon what type of PCA event you are competing in.

If you are running at the Porsche Parade, they use what are called Parade Competition Rules (PCRs). Out here in the East, I only pay attention to PCRs when classing my car for the Zone 1 Autocross Championships. My local PCA region (CVR) uses their own bastardized rules for AX.

Based upon the information that you provided, I would class your car as P3 (Production) according to the PCRs. You listed only suspension modifications and that only adds 4 "D" points out of a maximum 5 "D" points before you get bumped up to I1 (Improved).
Dave_Darling
What Demick said. The locals (PCA Zone 7) don't pay attention to the PCRs or anybody else's rules, they have their own. Follow the link in his note and you'll find where you fit.

Sounds like "improved" category, to me, so that would be "Ai", running against Britain.

Improved category allows: Any sway bars that do not require cutting or welding. (Exception: If it requires cutting or welding to mount the stock sway bar to a car, you can use the same mounting scheme for a non-stock one.) Stock torsion bars. 914s are specifically allowed up to 140 lb/in springs on the rear. Competition type tires are allowed, max width of 205 and minimum profile of 50. Wheels must be 15" or larger diameter, up to 6" wide. Any reasonable muffler. Any means of initiating a spark that still uses the stock distributor for determining the timing. Stock induction (FI in our case). No headers. No light flywheels. No internal engine mods. Changes that are for reliability only, and do not offer a performance advantage, are allowed and encouraged. (Examples: Tuna can, external oil cooler, etc.)

--DD
grantsfo
Cool! Sounds like Britian and I are well matched based on our respective times this weekend. But wait! ...I forgot I do have a lightened flywheel - recently had one installed when clutch was put in! wink.gif Dang! my stock 1.8 needs as much help as it can get and the flywheel probably kicks me into some super fast class now! I will look at GGR rules.
nine14cats
Just cheat and don't tell Britain! ohmy.gif

Don't read this Britain..... laugh.gif
Aaron Cox
yeah, how do they know if your flywheel is lightened?
Britain Smith
I won't tell anyone...

I just need someone to give me a run for my money so I can pony up and install some sway bars.

All the competition the better...keeps me on my feet. For the time being I just have the 2.0L guys in Bi and Bp to beat.

-Britain
grantsfo
QUOTE(nine14cats @ Jun 8 2004, 02:05 PM)
Just cheat and don't tell Britain! ohmy.gif

Don't read this Britain..... laugh.gif

biggrin.gif No my style would be to throw some slicks on the car and chase your times! No fun in cheating for me.
SirAndy
why don't you guys come over to BX and run with me?

i feel so lonely ...
sad.gif Andy
Part Pricer
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Jun 8 2004, 05:27 PM)
No fun in cheating for me.

It's not cheating. I feel that rules were meant to be interpreted to MY advantage. It's up to others to question my interpretation.
grantsfo
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 8 2004, 02:53 PM)
why don't you guys come over to BX and run with me?

i feel so lonely ...
sad.gif Andy

OK as long as you keep those slippery tires on the car.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Jun 8 2004, 01:59 PM)
... the flywheel probably kicks me into some super fast class now!

Production category. Half-point of compression, any springs/torsion bars/sway bars, headers, MSD or other Capacitive-Discharge Ignition is allowed (possibly crank fire?) ....

Unless the flywheel wasn't actually lightened, but only balanced. It was--right? RIGHT?? wink.gif

But the classification rules are going to be changed up in a year or two anyway, so don't fret too hard.

--DD
grantsfo
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jun 8 2004, 03:45 PM)
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Jun 8 2004, 01:59 PM)
... the flywheel probably kicks me into some super fast class now!

Production category. Half-point of compression, any springs/torsion bars/sway bars, headers, MSD or other Capacitive-Discharge Ignition is allowed (possibly crank fire?) ....

Unless the flywheel wasn't actually lightened, but only balanced. It was--right? RIGHT?? wink.gif

But the classification rules are going to be changed up in a year or two anyway, so don't fret too hard.

--DD

Ahh yeah thats it! It was balanced. And the 15x7 American Racing wheels I bought today are only 6" wide! I got it!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.