Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Richs' 928 engined 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Events Forum > Past Event Planning Threads
thesey914
So was 4.7 litres of Teutonic V8 quick? I've only seen one pic (recognized the Pasha trim through the front screen) and it wasn't very good (the pic -not the car)
After a monumental effort to ready it for the WCC did it run ok??
richardL
It looked great, sounded great and went great.

Dave Darling took quite a few pictures that are in his WCC picture thread. Here's a couple of mine at Laguna Seca.

Richard
richardL
nuther
Mueller
it was too quiet smile.gif

other than that, the guy did an awesome job, he needs to have his own cable TV show highlighting his talents pray.gif

I followed him for most of the drive on Friday and it looked like the car performed perfect (even with those huge 60 series tires, laugh.gif )
neo914-6
Rich is the man. pray.gif and his boldblue.gif boldblue.gif boldblue.gif boldblue.gif boldblue.gif boldblue.gif boldblue.gif crew was outstanding! No TV magic, just cranking hard work! Must have a really supportive wife smilie_pokal.gif
PorscheTom
Being a 928 owner as well, I would sure like some specifics on the car. I went to his website, but it does not look like it was updated in quite awhile. What the heck did it take to get that engine mounted in there, how did the transaxle bolt up to the engine, etc....?? Please tell!

What a feat of engineering!! pray.gif

Where the heck did Rich find the 928 interior fabric?? My 928 has the same stuff in it and I love it. Would like to have some extra....

Anyway, what a GREAT car. Congratulations! smilie_pokal.gif
Dave_Darling
He said he got it from the UK. Long way to go for op-art fabric...

That car was awesome. Way too much of a handful on the track, it looked like, but ho boy what fun!

That is a real 914! Know how we know? Because it does grind gears, and it does leak oil! (A little.) lol2.gif

--DD
skline
I actually have 2 short videos of his car on the rooftop at the Pruneyard, I just dont know how to upload them as one is about 4 meg and the other is 11. If someone wants to do that, I can send them to them if they have broadband. I will start posting my pictures shortly.
neo914-6
PorscheTom,
It is in this thread: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...t=7725&hl=alien
Howard
My favorite picture of the Alien. Note shadow of letter 'S' on decklid. Don't know if this was intentional, but really cracked me up. Rich, great car, great family!
dan10101
QUOTE(skline @ Jun 8 2004, 03:51 PM)
I actually have 2 short videos of his car on the rooftop at the Pruneyard, I just dont know how to upload them as one is about 4 meg and the other is 11. If someone wants to do that, I can send them to them if they have broadband. I will start posting my pictures shortly.

Scott,
(Are you the guy with the bright yellow pick-em-up with the huge speakers?)

You can try sending them to me. I should be able to post them with the other ones I took. dan10101@pacbell.net

BTW, in the big video (22meg) there is a short blurp with the Alien running.
I agree too quiet. But probably sounded better when he got on it. Amaizing job getting that in there and running that well without any shakedown. Good talking you you Rich. I envie your ability to run the the PCA aktion035.gif

Mine are here
http://www.teamgracer.com/cars/914club/wcc2004.htm

Dan
dflesburg
Last time I saw this done was in about 1984.

In VW&Porsche Mag, (european car) some guys built a car like this...

The article said they had to chop the body in two (in the engine bay) and lengthen the chassis by almost a foot.

Is that not true.

If not, perhaps I picked an engine too soon.
rick 918-S
Those guys were a couple of engineers from California. I wasn't aware of there car until sometime after I started on my car. Mike Z sent me a scanned Pano article from like 1992 or something. After reading through the article it appears they were not as interested in building a Porsche V8 914 as they were in building a mid motor car with a simlar wheel base as the 917. I don't really count there car as a 914 V8. I looks nothing like a 914 any more. In fact it looks like a wrecker without a boom on the back. With all the interest in my car I'm tempted to make up some conversion parts for resale. BTW You will have to cut the car and you will loose interior space. Ask Andy.... biggrin.gif
dflesburg
Rich,

I would be very interested in doing this conversion. I am only 5'10" and always thought the 914 had more than enough room for me.

Of course, I would need to get a different 914 to do it with but there are still many around. I wouldn't want to cut the one up I spent the last 12 years working on.

You and your guys did an excellent job. Please post more pics asap!!!

Did you powder coat or plate the intake runners?
thesey914
I was thinking about the comparison of the normal V8s and the Porsche 928 V8.
Most people I've read about plop a SBC engine in which fits with no cutting....is the Chevy engine much smaller in displacement or is it just size? I thought the H/Power was about equal.
I know the Porsche has DOHC and 32 valves instead of pushrods..... is it a superior design? I wonder how it compares in weight to a SBC or a six for instance?
seanery
the chevy engine is larger in displacement, well it can be, or it can be smaller. A 350 is 5.7 liters. It's the packaging of that makes it smaller.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(dflesburg @ Jun 15 2004, 04:32 AM)
Rich,

I would be very interested in doing this conversion. I am only 5'10" and always thought the 914 had more than enough room for me.

Of course, I would need to get a different 914 to do it with but there are still many around. I wouldn't want to cut the one up I spent the last 12 years working on.

You and your guys did an excellent job. Please post more pics asap!!!

Did you powder coat or plate the intake runners?

The over head cams and front mount distributor make this tight fit. Several other mods are required. This conversion is not a simple bolt in. But If I made up some transfer boxes I could probably move the motor back and move the final drive ratio up some at the same time. Maybe on the next one ..(huuh?) huh.gif Not! well maybe, well who knows... confused24.gif
My motor is a 4.7. But the factory rates it at 300 hp as installed in the 928 and opporating the luxury accessories and polution pump. I was told the 928 motor weights more than a cast iron chevy. I find it hard to believe. The only steel is the crank, balancer, rods, cams and on my motor the fuel distributor. It could weight more.... Who cares. The car is on stock rear springs and seems to ride and handle fine. I guess the chevy conversion works better with big springs.

Instead of sending the intake assemby out to the polisher I purchased a bench grinder and a buffing kit. The kids sanded and polished everthing. The whole process is here on the thread.Alien progress thread
thesey914
....and now its a PROPER Porsche cool.gif
300hp ow!
GaroldShaffer
and now its a PROPER Porsche
agree.gif

Rich's car is a true Porsche conversion car. Don't get me wrong, I think all other types of conversion cars are cool, but Rich's car and any other conversion done with a 911 six is still a true Porsche to me. The others are just conversion cars, nice but not my thing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.