Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Squeeking in PR wheel
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Andyrew
So I have a little bit of squeeking in the pass rear wheel while driving, sounds like pads, but it doesnt go away or change (much) while braking. Semi racing pads. New bearings (1k miles or so). I dont feel a drag (while rolling to a stop), but its a a bit harder to roll than my CRX so I think there may be some dragging. Calipers were rebuilt 6 years ago and have been sitting most of the time. No proportioning valve. Fresh fluid in ~ 4 years ago (sitting since). Parking cables are disconnected.

What should I look for when I have it on the lift? I am going to adjust the rear brake clearance and test function of the rears. (They were adjusted when fluid went in 4 years ago, but Who knows if its still in spec).

Thanks all!
Andrew
Ductech
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jun 3 2011, 12:16 PM) *

So I have a little bit of squeeking in the pass rear wheel while driving, sounds like pads, but it doesnt go away or change (much) while braking. Semi racing pads. New bearings (1k miles or so). I dont feel a drag (while rolling to a stop), but its a a bit harder to roll than my CRX so I think there may be some dragging. Calipers were rebuilt 6 years ago and have been sitting most of the time. No proportioning valve. Fresh fluid in ~ 4 years ago (sitting since). Parking cables are disconnected.

What should I look for when I have it on the lift? I am going to adjust the rear brake clearance and test function of the rears. (They were adjusted when fluid went in 4 years ago, but Who knows if its still in spec).

Thanks all!
Andrew

I am going out on a limb saying this but double check your Venting clearance on your rear pads but really start by looking for wheel free play before you take the wheel off.. i.e. the 12 o'clock and and 6 o'clock wiggle test..... and maybe check the how tight you got the hub nut for the axle.... if I am not mistaken the axle shaft (forget the official term for it right now) runs through the bearing inside that trailing arm. SO if the axle nut is not tight enough then the axle end could end up not sitting fully in the bearing is my guess. and then I guess you could check the two little screw that hold the brake rotor to the hub. I only have all this in my head right now because I have the same thing going on. Drivers side rear squeaks when stopping has very minute drag and when going around corners you can hear it load and unload on the pads as the rotor moves around. Good luck I am sure someone will throw in some sage knowledge...like some torque numbers on all the major fasteners back there would be cool. although some intelligent searching could possibly find this. this is where I was gonna start looking today on my teener. SO funny that your thread post would motivate me to put some real think time into it.

Thanks Andrew.. for making me think about my teener
charliew
When I first bought my 75 the po had done a rear brakejob on it. I trailered it home. While my son and I was driving it through the neighborhood we noticed a sound sorta like the old playing card in the spokes but only once for each revolution. My son got out and walked beside the car and determined it was the right rear wheel. I got out and sure enouigh while it was stopped I found the hardline rubbing the brand new tire. Enough that it had already worn through the line. How in hell it got that way, I don't know but it was sure messed up. I might have snagged it while I drove it on the trailer.
dion9146
I have the same thing going on with my Drivers side rear wheel. Everything is tight and within spec, but I think it is brake pad related because I can 'turn it on and off' by applying the brakes. Either that, or the disk is floating and the center nut really isn't tight anymore.....
Andyrew
Dion,

Im familar with that, Its just the pad touching the rotor in that situation, and like you mentioned should be eliminated when applying brake pressure. However I have applied brake pressure with no change in sound.

Axle nut MIGHT be loose, Its been a while since I checked it, but I have done the wiggle test recently (since I heard the squeek) and I had no wobbling, Nice and tight.

Charlie, i'll check the brake line. Pretty sure its far from my wheel (18" wheels), but its worth a look.

Keep the suggestions coming. It really sounds brake related.
Ductech
Just got out from under the teener, My cyclic noise was related to brake pad venting being incorrect. Inside pad had to little clearance and was rubbing every rotation. As for yours I would suggest checking the venting clearance and then dig in from there until you find something questionable.

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jun 3 2011, 03:21 PM) *

Dion,

Im familar with that, Its just the pad touching the rotor in that situation, and like you mentioned should be eliminated when applying brake pressure. However I have applied brake pressure with no change in sound.

Axle nut MIGHT be loose, Its been a while since I checked it, but I have done the wiggle test recently (since I heard the squeek) and I had no wobbling, Nice and tight.

Charlie, i'll check the brake line. Pretty sure its far from my wheel (18" wheels), but its worth a look.

Keep the suggestions coming. It really sounds brake related.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.