Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2011 WCR Autocross Details
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Britain Smith
Ok guys, here are the details on the 2011 WCR Autocross at the Jackson County Sports Park in Medford, OR.

Here is a great link to find more details on the venue and the event: 914world 2011 West Coast Ramble on Where2Race

Morning Autocross:
The Autocross will begin bright and early Friday morning. Drivers meeting at 7:45 and first car on track at 8:00am. We will divide up into two groups with the half of the group running their cars and the other half working as course workers. Depending on the number of cars/drivers, expect to get between 5-8 runs as with this course layout we will be able to have multiple cars on the track at once.

Here is the course layout for the Morning Autocross:
IPB Image

Afternoon Sprint Races:
Following the morning autocross and a lunch break, we will continue in the afternoon with Sprint Races. These will consist of multiple laps, expect 2-3 laps, depending on the number of cars/drivers. You will launch the car and the first time thru the Start/Finish lights you time will start. You will proceed around the track for the prescribed 2 or 3 laps and after finishing thru the start/finish lights you will get a 3/4 lap cool-down and exit into the pit area. For this portion of the event, there will be only one car on the track at a time.

Here is the course layout for the Sprint Races:
IPB Image

We need to get a headcount of those who plan on participating in either the Morning Autocross and/or the Sprint Races. We will also determine a classing structure and be able to award winners of each class.

If you want to see some video's of a 914 running this course, I have a few from the Enduro event last season:

Inside the Car Video

Trackside Video

Remember, Autocross experience is not required or needed to have fun out on this track. Everyone is encouraged to participate as it is included in your WCR registration.

-Britain
J P Stein
Looks like more fun that a barrel of fish.....ducks?

It would be good to know how many folks are gonna run both events....the AX & the sprint thingy. It makes planning easier.

I'm in for both if Randal brings enuff gas. biggrin.gif
Andyrew
Damn, That looks like fun. Got a grid that details measurements or say a course measurement? I'd love to build this track for Live for Speed and test it out myself to see what im missing.
jzdu
Sounds great.

I can't wait to see some 914s actually running.

Mike Bellis
Wish my car was running sad.gif
914werke
what about passengers? allowed?
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jun 3 2011, 03:46 PM) *

Damn, That looks like fun. Got a grid that details measurements or say a course measurement? I'd love to build this track for Live for Speed and test it out myself to see what im missing.

Click to view attachment
Andyrew
How wide is the track (for those who have been on it)? Thats the best way for me to deterimine (unless google earth can tell me).. I dont actually enter in any numbers when I build the track, I just do an areal view and lay the cones in relation to a car length that I know. smile.gif Typically takes me ~ 4 hours to get right... Havent built a track since I was activly autoxing the A4, or about 3 years ago.

I wont have time to get to it till mid month, but if any of you have Live For Speed 2 for the PC then i'll share the track so you can practice the course smile.gif
RoadGlue
That track is a lot of fun! Raced it two different years, um, both times in various Fiats. It's a narrow track, especially in the back parts. I've heard it referred to as a go-kart track, but it's certainly wider than that (by a car's width or so).

Have fun! Wish I could make it.
jzdu
This may have already been said, but the pavement is fairly new. The kart club has had the repaving done over the last few years. The old pavement was getting pretty bad.
JRust
I'm in for both the morning & afternoon. Assuming I have a car working I have no problem having a co driver. So if you are coming & don't have your 914. Let me know biggrin.gif
TC 914-8
I'm in for at least one if not both events, I'm afraid of breaking something so we'll se how long I last.
ThinAir
I'm in for both events. The more the better! driving.gif
jimtab
Both please, and can someone wake me up early enough to get food B4 we have to be there.....???? 7:45 is early for retired folk...... biggrin.gif
zx-niner
I plan to do both.
KELTY360
I'd like to do both. Will there be any loaner helmets available?
TC 914-8
What type of helmets are allowed or required? Open face / Full face? confused24.gif
strawman
My teener is many months away from completion, so my family is driving our 1988 Chevy G20 Conversion Van up to WCR2011. Any chance I could run the track using the van? lol-2.gif

By the way, I had to buy a Snell SA2005 helmet for 24 Hours of Lemons racing, so I'll bring a spare full-face medium Snell M2005 helmet that I ran two SCCA autocross events with. I'll sell it for $20 to anyone who needs it. Any interest?

Hopefully, I can grab an open seat for a few ride-alongs...
JRust
I think there will be a few helmets available to borrow. They have to be snell 2000 or newer. Just a motorcycle helmet doesn not cut it. One of the AutoX guys give the specs please. Most of the autoX guys are required 2005 or newer rating. We got lucky down there as they still accept the 200 this year.
PeeGreen 914
I plan on doing both.
TC 914-8
By the way, I had to buy a Snell SA2005 helmet for 24 Hours of Lemons racing, so I'll bring a spare full-face medium Snell M2005 helmet that I ran two SCCA autocross events with. I'll sell it for $20 to anyone who needs it. Any interest?Hopefully, I can grab an open seat for a few ride-alongs...

What size is it ? I'm looking for a XL
I'll have an extra seat but we'll have to share the helmet lol-2.gif
montoya 73 2.0
9 Days till you can get your race on!!!
JRust
Me waiting at the last autoX I did up in Bremerton. This was close to 2 years ago. I can't wait to get out on this track. Even with crappy street tires it will be a ball happy11.gif
DBCooper
Yes, that track's narrow, here's my son on the back side six or eight years ago:

IPB Image

There is Porsche content there because at the time the Ghia had a 914 2.0 engine. He set the track record for his class, though I don't remember what that class was.... street modified or prepared or something. They said it was normally a kart track and they were running the cars on it in the opposite direction. Seemed to be everyone's consensus favorite autocross venue back then, so it should be fun.

roadster fan
QUOTE(TC 914-8 @ Jun 5 2011, 07:27 AM) *

By the way, I had to buy a Snell SA2005 helmet for 24 Hours of Lemons racing, so I'll bring a spare full-face medium Snell M2005 helmet that I ran two SCCA autocross events with. I'll sell it for $20 to anyone who needs it. Any interest?Hopefully, I can grab an open seat for a few ride-alongs...

What size is it ? I'm looking for a XL
I'll have an extra seat but we'll have to share the helmet lol-2.gif

Tony I have a brand new XL SA2010 helmet I bought for this weekends ChumpCar World Series event at Buttonwillow Raceway that I will share if you cant find one before. Will see you up there.

oh, and I plan on doing both sessions in the 1.7 with no sway bars! can you say "lean baby lean!"

Jim
sawtooth
Count me in for both.
TC 914-8
Got my new helmet in the mail today, Pyrotect open face SA2010, The wife laughed at me and said " the chicks dig the open face? Huh"
See you in 8 days!!!
Randal
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Jun 3 2011, 03:43 PM) *

Looks like more fun that a barrel of fish.....ducks?

It would be good to know how many folks are gonna run both events....the AX & the sprint thingy. It makes planning easier.

I'm in for both if Randal brings enuff gas. biggrin.gif

Looks like I better bring about 20 gallons of 110.
Britain Smith
Yea, I got 15 gallons of E85....that should cover it for me. Gotta love $4 race gas smile.gif

-Britain
SirAndy
Loaner helmet need here too (XL to fit all that brane matter). driving.gif

Unless someone can direct me to a place where i can buy a good helmet in the next two days here in the bay area.
idea.gif

Mike Bellis
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 19 2011, 09:32 PM) *

Unless someone can direct me to a place where i can buy a good helmet in the next two days here in the bay area.
idea.gif

Vic Hubbard, Hayward??? Maybe...
SirAndy
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Jun 19 2011, 09:41 PM) *

idea.gif

Vic Hubbard, Hayward??? Maybe...

Nope, no helmets at Vic's ... sad.gif
Randal
QUOTE(Britain Smith @ Jun 19 2011, 08:02 PM) *

Yea, I got 15 gallons of E85....that should cover it for me. Gotta love $4 race gas smile.gif

-Britain

I like the $4 race gas. Ha, buying VP 110 is painful today. About $15 per gallon.
Randal

What time do the pits open on Friday morning? driving-girl.gif
montoya 73 2.0
We have the track from sun up to sun Down! I have to call the SSCC guy today about the meeting on Thursday.
Britain Smith
I am going to plan on being there about 7:00am to get stuff set-up. We can probably all meet for breakfast about 6:30 in the hotel and then head over.

-Britain
Randal

idea.gif

These guys are good.

http://www.ioportracing.com/
Randal
QUOTE(Britain Smith @ Jun 20 2011, 09:52 AM) *

I am going to plan on being there about 7:00am to get stuff set-up. We can probably all meet for breakfast about 6:30 in the hotel and then head over.

-Britain

Save a seat for me at breakfast.
ConeDodger
Both... If my car makes it up there... blink.gif
danno55
I'd probably be in for both asuming I could borrow a helmet.
Britain Smith
Ok guys, I spoke with the SSCC president and got some of the details for the event. Plan on being at the track about 7:15 so we can get your cars tech'ed and hold a drivers meeting. They have some loaner helmets for those who need them.

The tech inspection will consist of the following:
Brakes - pedal firm
Steering - minimal play
Throttle – positive return
Wheels – no bearing slop, lug nuts secure
Seat Belts, Seat attach, roll bar if required
Helmet as per SSCC regs
Battery secured, + terminal covered
Tires – no cracks or cording
No excessive fluid leaks, caps & plugs sec
Tech sticker, numbers in place
Open cockpit roll bar as per SSCC regs

As per their insurance regulations, passengers will only be allowed on practice runs (i.e. times will not count towards competition runs). Therefore, depending on the number of people participating, we can hold some practice runs first and then proceed to the competition runs. All of this will be explained further at the drivers meeting.

In either case, I will be in Medford Thursday evening and we can work out the details over dinner. See you all in a couple of days.

-Britain
ThinAir
QUOTE(Britain Smith @ Jun 20 2011, 11:44 PM) *

Just exactly what is required for "terminal covered". My battery uses both top posts and a side post. Do I just wrap them in electrical tape?
J P Stein
Most guys use a rubber/plastic battery terminal boot. An SCCA requirement (positive side only req.) and not a bad idea nohow. Check some out at a FLAPS.....Modify as required.
JRust
I'll look into those. I'll see if I can pick up a fair amount of them cheap.
Britain Smith
There is a Napa just down the street from the track.

-Britain
Andyrew
I've used a plastic spray paint can cap cut and secured. They gave me a funny look though smile.gif
Randal

Low and behold here I was running up I5 today, before Corning, and came upona 914 on a trailer. It had the number 914, so honked and waved.

I went off for gas and figured I would see them again, but they must have stopped in Redding for lunch.

Man, seeing another 914 on a trailer is a rare sight. Cool.
Randal
QUOTE(Britain Smith @ Jun 20 2011, 11:44 PM) *

Ok guys, I spoke with the SSCC president and got some of the details for the event. Plan on being at the track about 7:15 so we can get your cars tech'ed and hold a drivers meeting. They have some loaner helmets for those who need them.

The tech inspection will consist of the following:
Brakes - pedal firm
Steering - minimal play
Throttle – positive return
Wheels – no bearing slop, lug nuts secure
Seat Belts, Seat attach, roll bar if required
Helmet as per SSCC regs
Tires – no cracks or cording
No excessive fluid leaks, caps & plugs sec
Tech sticker, numbers in place
Open cockpit roll bar as per SSCC regs

As per their insurance regulations, passengers will only be allowed on practice runs (i.e. times will not count towards competition runs). Therefore, depending on the number of people participating, we can hold some practice runs first and then proceed to the competition runs. All of this will be explained further at the drivers meeting.

In either case, I will be in Medford Thursday evening and we can work out the details over dinner. See you all in a couple of days.

-Britain

I passed with these guys last week, but did have to put tape on my positive battery terminal. That is probably what caused it to loosen up, but did I figure it out up there?

Randal
Real time weather report (on the ground) from Ashland / Medford:

Totally overcast this morning. Much cooler. Currently 54.9 degrees.

Bring soft tires for the morning autox!

Update:

OK it's 10:00AM and the sun is starting to break through. Yea.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.