Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Removable Fiberglass Engine Lid Stock Style
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Nicky
I posted awhile back about my car and a fiberglass relay board cover I made. Most of my time is spent on not too exciting maintenance stuff. But, I just made this engine lid and thought it was neat enough to share. I wanted to be able to get the lid out of the way while working on it. This was probably a lot more work than just slotting/opening up the mounting holes, but it was fun.

I made some aluminum hinges to resemble the stock ones, and used pip pins as the hinge pin so I could split the hinges in half. For the fiberglass lid I made a mold off a nice straight stock lid. It's held down with the stock mechanism, and even pops up enough to grab with out any springs. I was thinking of attaching a small prop rod, but it comes off so easily, and even if I leave it on its light enough to not really bother you while checking the oil quick.

Please excuse the ugly firewall and engine compartment. I'll really have to get going on cleaning that up now.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Nicky
Lid shut and cleaned up grills.

Click to view attachment
KELTY360
Nicely done!

welcome.png
bigkensteele
Very nice! I bet there is a market for those.
messix
whats the weight savings
Nicky
QUOTE(messix @ Jun 4 2011, 03:02 PM) *

whats the weight savings

The car isn't at my house right now. So, Ill weigh the fiberglass lid this week and reply here again. The complete stock set up I removed and just weighed was 14 lbs. I'd guess the new lid is around 5 lbs or less, but I'll weigh it.
messix
thats pretty good.

you should bust out a half dozen, i bet you could sell them quick.... jon bovy....
Dr Evil
Very nice work and innovation smile.gif I know that I will want one of these in the future thumb3d.gif
URY914
Nice job! Something I've given some thought to myself.
jmill
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Jun 4 2011, 01:58 PM) *

Very nice! I bet there is a market for those.

agree.gif I'm in.
rick 918-S
Nice work!
majkos
definly a market!
I'm in (need to start saving alum.cans)

I bet the carbon fiber freaks would love to have one in C F.!
I know I would! aktion035.gif

BTW welcome.png

Mike Bellis
How many layers of mat? I assume you vacuum bagged it over the stock lid? Very cool! I'll take one in CF.
Dave_Darling
I hate you.

...No, wait. That's not quite it.

Ah, there it is: I'm INSANELY jealous of you! That is incredibly cool!!

--DD
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Jun 4 2011, 11:57 AM) *

Nicely done!

welcome.png

agree.gif agree.gif welcome.png
Nicky
Thanks everyone.

QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Jun 5 2011, 12:03 AM) *

How many layers of mat? I assume you vacuum bagged it over the stock lid? Very cool! I'll take one in CF.

It is about 2 layers of mat and a final layer of cloth. I made it thicker in the ribs under the grill and where the hinges mount. I did not vaccuum bag it because it was a smaller part and had no core mat, like a hood does. I made a heavy duty fiberglass mold from the original lid, and then this lid was made from the mold. So, it's a smooth gelcoat top finish with the fiberglass cloth underneath. Then sanded, primed, and painted.

My original plan was to make a carbon fiber one, but I wanted to make sure everything worked first. The nice thing is now I can just swap one onto the hinges bolted to the car. I could even make an opened up GT style, and then swap back over on rainy days. I'd just to need to make some targa top style trunk holders for the back up lid, lol.
914werke
QUOTE(Nicky @ Jun 5 2011, 08:09 AM) *
*edit* Thanks everyone. I could even make an opened up GT style, *edit*

Now your talk'in aktion035.gif
Nicky
QUOTE(messix @ Jun 4 2011, 03:02 PM) *

whats the weight savings

I just weighed the fiberglass lid today. It is 4.1 pounds. That's the lid, stock grill, and the bonded on hinge halves. So, a little bit more for the hinge half on the car and the pip pins. So, it's almost ten pounds less than what I took off, which included the springs and rain shield in that original weight. I took some better photos of the inside, I'll try to post up when I get home later.
Root_Werks
That is very cool. I bet there would be a strong market for those.
PeeGreen 914
agree.gif aktion035.gif
Root_Werks
QUOTE(PeeGreen 914 @ Jun 7 2011, 01:00 PM) *

agree.gif aktion035.gif

So this could be an all glass horizontally 914 for you then? laugh.gif

Front lid
Targa
Engine lid
Rear lid
PeeGreen 914
Well, my lids are carbon fiber now blink.gif . Somehow they changed on me biggrin.gif

But still, that would be awesome.
Rand
Carbon fiber with holes (instead of grafted in expanded metal) would rock. Or, how about a one-piece engine lid + rear trunk lid with pins or dzus fasteners?
smile.gif
Ductech
You guys sure can dream.... any of us got a big ass vacuum table?
and don't you need like an autoclave to cure carbon epoxy?
GaroldShaffer
Very nice! Makes me wonder if the lid on my old race car was handmade? It too was made from fiberglass. confused24.gif
messix
QUOTE(Ductech @ Jun 7 2011, 02:31 PM) *

and don't you need like an autoclave to cure carbon epoxy?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAdVO8Rkv6c
Nicky
I want to find some aluminum mesh to use and make my own screen. About half the weight is in the steel grill. I have another fiberglass one curing in the mold, so we'll see what we can do with that one.

As for carbon fiber, I believe they use the autoclave on the pre-impregnated sheets and structural applications like on f1 cars. And for vaccuuming we have a bag set up.

Some detail shots.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
jmill
QUOTE(Ductech @ Jun 7 2011, 04:31 PM) *

I've got access to a 4'x8' vaccum table. My father built it to glue up an ebony laminant in his dining room table. It's been sitting unused ever since. idea.gif
Rand
QUOTE(Ductech @ Jun 7 2011, 02:31 PM) *

You guys sure can dream....

Damn right!! Never let obstacles keep you from pursuing dreams! smile.gif
Zundfolge
Very nice!

Should never have to re-weld the hinge mounts ever again.
Ductech
Well then I was wrong sorta.... I'm thinkin how cool would it be to make a structural replacement parts batch. Like carbon prepreg fenders and bumpers! along with lids!

Thats is why I thought right away that it would take alot of investing.

Now that clip on youtube makes it look like non structural parts could be made in the same manner as fiberglass components.

Always dream big right?
Nicky
I started on a GT style lid that I will be able to swap out with my stock style. I wish I had smaller mesh, but this is a start. The practice at getting the shape right is good anyway if I decide to make a smaller mesh one later. Or, I may make matching side pieces in that size. I tried to take some more progress photos this time. I still have to cut out the lid, mount the hinge halves, paint it, etc...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

PeeGreen 914
Umm.... drooley.gif That looks perfect. I want beerchug.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Rand @ Jun 7 2011, 01:49 PM) *
Or, how about a one-piece engine lid + rear trunk lid

It's been done. By Porsche. In 1968. It looks *fugly*! icon8.gif

I'm glad that never made it into production.

I have a pic at home, i can scan it tonight ... shades.gif
Nicky
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 7 2011, 07:11 PM) *

QUOTE(Rand @ Jun 7 2011, 01:49 PM) *
Or, how about a one-piece engine lid + rear trunk lid

It's been done. By Porsche. In 1968. It looks *fugly*! icon8.gif

I'm glad that never made it into production.

I have a pic at home, i can scan it tonight ... shades.gif

I think that'd be a hassle as well. I was working to make things simpler when I want to work on it. Unless it's for a race car and you're taking the trunk off a lot anyway.
Nicky
Finally finished the lid. I had time to do my bumpers, so the lid was put on the back burner. Now I need to clean up that firewall.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

eric9144
Looks amazing, great work!! smilie_pokal.gif

Now go make 50 of 'em and sell them in the classifieds! shades.gif
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(eric9144 @ Aug 2 2011, 02:58 PM) *

Looks amazing, great work!! smilie_pokal.gif

Now go make 50 of 'em and sell them in the classifieds! shades.gif

agree.gif or just one more and sell it to me biggrin.gif
rwilner
this is all well and good, but if it's fiberglass and aluminum, how's it going to rust??

BACK TO THE DRAWING BOARD
TurboWalt
Make that 2, GT style for me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.