Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Coil wires?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Geezer914
Click to view attachmentThrow the wiring diagram out the window! Can anyone tell me how these wires are attatched to the coil? All three are black, but the single wire has a blueish cast. I can not find the black and purple wire for the tach. Both wires are hot when the key is in the run position. What is with the small and large wires attached together? Stumped!!! Car is a 1975 914 L Jet injection.
JeffBowlsby
http://bowlsby.net/914/WiringHarnesses/Har..._74-75L-Jet.pdf

Your welcome!

The paired wires at the coil are a single circuit that connects to the double relay.
jim_hoyland
The 12 pin connecter at the rear of the relay board ihas slots numbered like:
1 2

3 4

5 6

7 8

9 10

11 12

I have a '75 LJet too:

The black wire originates from pin seven and goes to the +coil AND to 86C of the dual relay. The dual relay has a left and right side: 86C is on the left side toward the rear of the car and to the right ( see Jeff's diagram, it's # 9 )

The tach wire originates from pin 5 ( corrected) and goes to the -coil. The purple trace may have faded.

There is also a white or grey trigger wire that goes to the - coil

I don't have points, someone else may chime in here
Geezer914
So the two wires connect together go to the + side of the coil. If the single wire is the tach wire, and connects to the - side, why is it hot with the key on? Thanks for the quick replys
jim_hoyland
Tach wire must go to - coil. The hot blacks to to the + coil and to 86C of dual relay
Geezer914
Why is the tach wire hot with the key on? We had it hooked up to the - side of the coil and it was shorting the coil and not sending spark to the plug wires.
jim_hoyland
You verified it is the tach wire ?
Geezer914
That's all the wires in that harness. The single black wire should be the tach wire. But like I said it's hot with the key on. How can I check to be shure its the tach wire?
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(Geezer914 @ Jun 4 2011, 06:50 PM) *

That's all the wires in that harness. The single black wire should be the tach wire. But like I said it's hot with the key on. How can I check to be shure its the tach wire?

Disconnect the 12 pin connector at the rear of the relay board; disconnect all wires from the coil; then, do a continuity test from pin 5 ( not seven) on the 12 pin connector to each of your suspected tach wires.

*** Corrections: Pin 5 is Tach
Geezer914
Thanks every one for all your help!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.