Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Found a set of Vintage 15x7 America Racing wheels
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
grantsfo
These are the exact same wheels my dad had on his 71 914 when he used to autocross. Other than a little baked on crud they are perfect! This is the 4 spoke variety - they are all aluminum color. I really want to make the centers black - is painting my only option? Can you get wheels powder coated?

I will stick with 205/50/15s. Any recomendations between Kuhmos and Hoosiers?
Mueller
are they the correct offset? if not be prepared to roll/flare your rear fenders......

i don't get a warm fuzzy feeling running sticky tires on 30 year old aluminum rims while pushing my car at the limit...
jonwatts
Aren't you usually at your limit pushing your car onto the trailer? laugh.gif

I know, I know, I'm not one to talk.
Mueller
I'm usually under the safe speed limit since I have a tendancy of "slowing" my car down with the front fenders smile.gif
grantsfo
These wheels look pretty unmolested. Think they appear to have been in storage for a while. So should I sell all my old wheels and buy new ones to AX? Does aluminum have an effective life even if unused? I use pretty sticky Falken tires on my 30 year old Fuchs too.

I may just clean up the American wheels and use them for street and sell my Fuchs then buy a new set of AX wheels.

I dont think I will have any problems with these from my initial inspection.
MattR
205-50-15, go with Falken Azines I think. www.vulcantire.com . There have been issues of them being in stock, but if you can find them they have loads of grip and arent too expensive ($62 a tyre i think).
URY914
My friend has a set of 4-spoke American Racing on his 914 and they had a 1/2" positve offset. But they still fit under the fender.

BTW I aways liked those wheels.

Paul
maf914
Were the American Racing four spoke four bolt wheels available in 15"? I thought they were only 14"?

When the 914 was in production most sports cars had 14" wheels. There were not a lot of low profile tires available for larger wheel diameters.

Mike
grantsfo
QUOTE(maf914 @ Jun 9 2004, 04:25 AM)
Were the American Racing four spoke four bolt wheels available in 15"? I thought they were only 14"?

When the 914 was in production most sports cars had 14" wheels. There were not a lot of low profile tires available for larger wheel diameters.

Mike

American did make a 15x7 inch wheel and Goodyear made low profile racing slicks in the mid 70's that fit the 914 perfectly if you rolled the fender lip. I used to install similar American 15" wheels and a exhaust stinger on my dads 914 at every Monterey Region AX when I was a kid.

Those were the days when 904's and 550s used to show up for autocrosses!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.