Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Advice on tires for 914-6 GT fenders Fuch 15x8 alloys
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gouki
Hi Everyone! I'm going back to my roots here, as my fist car was a 1975 914 with a 1.8 back when I was 18. I understand my father's intentions now (He's been a member of PCA for longer than I've been alive), but unfortunately it was lost on me back then when I was more concerned with power steering, windows, door locks, and ac. Anyway, I have a 1970 914-6 with GT fenders and Fuch 15x8 alloys. It currently has a set of 225/50/15 Yokohama Advan a048 tires, and after almost perishing multiple times in the rain yesterday I've decided that some wet traction is desirable. Consulting tire rack shows me 7 tires in this size, including the Yokohama avs es100, which was the predecessor to the Sdrive. THese would be cool, but after phoning some tire shops, it's come to my attention that any tire in this size is a special order.

So what are you guys running out there? I ran the Yokohama Advan Neova, Advan Sports, and Bridgestone RE760 Sport on my STi before it gave it's life for me, if that helps.
carr914
welcome.png

I'd go with the BFG G-Force Sports
Gouki
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jun 5 2011, 03:38 AM) *

welcome.png

I'd go with the BFG G-Force Sports

Thanks!

Would I be better off with a larger diameter wheel to get more tire options?
Justinp71
welcome.png

I have the Yokohama avs es100's and they suprisingly work good in the rain, ( I have a similiar car to yours) they aren't too hard yet either which helps. You definatley get more tire options with 16's but its also a bigger heavier wheel... I bought some nitto NT01's in 225/45/15 which I have heard can be good in the rain but I've only used them on a dry track so far... Will this be a street only car?
carr914
Tire Choices in 16" are getting scarce too
Gouki
QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Jun 8 2011, 10:56 PM) *

welcome.png

I have the Yokohama avs es100's and they suprisingly work good in the rain, ( I have a similiar car to yours) they aren't too hard yet either which helps. You definatley get more tire options with 16's but its also a bigger heavier wheel... I bought some nitto NT01's in 225/45/15 which I have heard can be good in the rain but I've only used them on a dry track so far... Will this be a street only car?

Yeah, I actually ordered a set of the es100, but the last time these were made was like 2007 or so, then they switched to the sdrive, which is about to die as well I guess. I'm going to an autocross school this sunday, but I'm unsure how involved I want to get, so mainly a street car.

What wheels would you guys recommend for me?
kconway
I've got 225/60/15 Kumho Exctas on 15x8 Fuchs. Admittedly my car is still on jack stands so Im talking out of my bunghole...
carr914
I don't like Kumhos - siewall is too soft and they wore out on my Honda in record time
jmill
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jun 9 2011, 06:00 AM) *

Tire Choices in 16" are getting scarce too

Damn, now you tell me. I'm still in the market for 16"x8" fuchs with 944 offset. The bright side is the price of 16" Fuchs should come down. blink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.