Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need some advice...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joseph Mills
This evening I will begin dismanteling my engine (T4 2.0).

Are their any special tools I will need, or precautions to be aware of for removing the starter, tranny, & heads?

I've been told to torque the head bolts to 28-30 lbs to confirm that none of them are pulled/broken before I loosen them. Sound right?

I plan on replacing my weak clutch pressure plate. Any special tools needed for this?

I have access to an engine stand - is it worth using for no more than head removal?

I know these are pretty stupid questions, but remember....

I...a m...n o t...a...m e c h a n i c ! laugh.gif

Any tips appreciated.
SLITS
I would get an Impact Screwdriver (about $10.00 at Harbor Freight Tools) for removal of the cheesehead screws in the tin (a couple hold the warm airguides on the heads).

Putting the engine on a stand makes it a lot easier to work on.

You'll need a clutch alignment tool to replace the friction disk.

Other than that, a good metric tool set and patience.
SirAndy
QUOTE(SLITS @ Jun 9 2004, 09:25 AM)
You'll need a clutch alignment tool to replace the friction disk.

OR

do it the cheap way and cut off the input shaft from a junk transmission ...

wink.gif Andy
Dave_Darling
Special tools: The biggest flat-head screwdriver that Sears sells. It's the perfect size for those f---ing engine tin screws. Use of the proper screwdriver means you don't chew the s--t out of the little bastards when trying to remove them. (Can you tell I got very irritated by them?? Then I replaced them with Allen-head screws, and things were much easier.)

M8 triple-square "CV Joint socket" for the CV joints and possibly the fan bolts.

At least one high-lift floor jack and a bunch of wood of various sizes and shapes, or an ATV jack or transmission jack.

A torque wrench that is still in calibration. (I check mine against my beam-type wrench regularly.)

A half-case of carb cleaner. A ton and a half of paper towels.

The engine stand is not necessary, but would make teardown and re-assembly more convenient.

--DD
SLITS
The biggest flat-head screwdriver that Sears sells. It's the perfect size for those f---ing engine tin screws. Use of the proper screwdriver means you don't chew the s--t out of the little bastards when trying to remove them.

Hey Dave, SCREW the BFS - Buy one of these and smack it with a BFH.

IPB Image

IPB Image

It'll either lossen it or break the head off. You can also use 1/2" drive sockets and with a 1/2" to 3/8" adaptor..................

It was a whole $6.00 at Harbor Freight Tools.

Joseph Mills
Thanks to all for your insight & tips!

I have gathered together all the tools mentioned - except the impact set - I'll just beat on my screwdrivers! w00t.gif

I am ready to do this thing....

Well, I still need to run and pick up some beer. laugh.gif
RocknRollFrenzy
Smacking a screwdriver isn't quite the same thing. An impact screwdriver translates your hammer wack into a twist. Thats what makes them neat. The giant craftsman screwdriver has worked fine for me so far though. I'm with Dave on replacing those screws with something better once you've got them out though. They suck.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(SLITS @ Jun 9 2004, 11:57 AM)
Hey Dave, SCREW the BFS - Buy one of these and smack it with a BFH.

It's still better to have a tool that fits into the slot correctly. I don't think any of the bits for that impact driver do. For me, the BFS was the Right Tool for the Job.

--DD
Toast
QUOTE(joseph222 @ Jun 9 2004, 09:15 AM)
This evening I will begin dismanteling my engine (T4 2.0).

Are their any special tools I will need, or precautions to be aware of for removing the starter, tranny, & heads?

Any tips appreciated.

smash.gif
Lots of Rags.
Absorbing Cat Litter.
A pack of cigarrets (or other smokes... cool.gif )(even if you dont smoke, you may decide too.... smoke.gif )
Toast
QUOTE(SLITS @ Jun 9 2004, 12:57 PM)
SCREW the BFS - Buy one of these and smack it with a BFH.<p>IPB Image<p>It'll either lossen it or break the head off. It was a whole $6.00 at Harbor Freight Tools.

I looks like thoes ones have already been used....on the 914. They appear to be saturated in oil.
laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.