Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WCC Residual Effects
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Events Forum > Past Event Planning Threads
JeffBowlsby
We all thought we were coming to the 914 WCC 2004 for the well-known reasons…To be part of the largest gathering of 914s anywhere at anytime since Osnabruek. To meet those that we only know by their BBS name. To share in a 914 breakfast. To drive Laguna Seca and Monterey. To pretend we are The City Porsche for a moment. To experience a dedicated 914Club AX. To see a great Porsche swapmeet and Concours. And maybe even to win a 914Club award.

It was all those things but what we didn’t realize is that there were many side benefits to attending or intending to attend the WCC 2004. Here are a few surprises that come to my mind:

1. Giving us motivation to work on or get our 914s to a state of readiness, sooner than we might have without the WCC, to bring to the meet. I couldn’t believe the progress made on some of the cars we saw, and the frenzy by many to get ready. Even if you or your 914 didn’t make it this year…you’ve been granted a reprieve until next year so don’t wait until May 2005 to take up your project 914 again.

2. 914 repair shops everywhere benefited with having the business from the work we didn’t do ourselves.

3. 914 parts outlets everywhere benefited from selling us the parts we all bought immediately before the WCC.

4 We discovered Robert Dekker and his car…

5 I met another local Bumblebee owner…That makes 4 Bumblebees and 1 Creamsicle and their owners that I know of here in the Bay Area.

6. We proved in front of hundreds of witnesses that the Four cylinder cars can make every bit as impressive of an exhaust note symphony as the Sixes or even Eights…at least in a group setting…

7. That ALL of the 2.0L fuel injectors are not green…thanks Lawrence….

8. Some of us learned that we all of a sudden like to AX….and are good at it….Jenny, Grant Keyser, Nathan Breitling come to mind

9. That there are sponsors out there that eagerly support the 914 and are anxious to see the proliferation of the model with their resources.

10. We got several women including wives / GFs / SOs involved in the 914Club. Alison, Betsy, Lisa, Melba...Monique, Ginger Adams, Sandy Ollah...there were others...

11. Rob and Demick drive scary fast on the AX course…I am still shakin’…And both Mr. and Mrs. Pickering are in a class of their own…we are not worthy…

What else did we discover…?
jonwatts
I discovered that a mere 2 hours in the Hayward sun is enough to cook my scalp
headbang.gif
Carl
Well, it wasn't really a discovery. I knew Jon Watts has a very clever sense of humor but I couldn't help but laugh at the music on his cd and the radio-tuning bits. I don't have a cd player in the 914 so it didn't get played until last night but I laughed thinking about how Jon assembled the cd.

Thanks, Jon. You did a good job and I look forward to the next edition.
Toast
I found out that the people I know from the board are even more funny and friendly that what you know of them on the board.

And they dont look anything like you pictured them in your mind. biggrin.gif
Howard
Jeff, you are the Man!

Getting this group to do anything in an even slightly organized manner required great skill. You could herd cats.

Let's do it again next weekend. Cricket is right.. 20% cars, 80% people.
Carl
A few more things on my list:
Sharing another 914 event with Meredith
Putting names with faces and seeing some amazing cars (I want that one, and that one and ...)
Meeting Dave, Betsy, Gerry & Sara Hunt
Meeting Michael Ferguson and seeing his stunning car
Having a laugh with Howard
Talking with Kevin Powers (rhodyguy) at the AX
Driving the back roads with Kim & Ed Morrow
Meeting Jim Chambers (Porsche Rescue) and seeing Phoenix Red car
Learning that Phoenix Red isn't red
Driving the twisty tour route with Pat Warren
Having a beer, (OK, a couple) with Kim and talking about things other than 914's
It was a good time.
JWest
Bad - I realized that I had never taken my wife to an autoX, and I realized that it has been MUCH too long since I drove in an autocross.

Good - My wife told me that "if I made her", she would run in an autoX! She has LOTS of 914 seat time (only car was a 914 for more than one period of our marriage) but I NEVER thought I could get her to drive an autoX!

Time to get the car ready!
lagunero
QUOTE(James Adams @ Jun 9 2004, 10:41 AM)

Time to get the car ready!

Make sure you buy one of those cool shifters from one of our sponsors laugh.gif
neo914-6
I discovered:
1. 914club enthusiasts are down to earth
2. I cannot remember face/name/user id/car of more than 10 in any combination
3. 914club members have a higher tolerance for conversions than most others
4. I can get by ok with less sleep
5. I need power steering or to need work out
SirAndy
QUOTE(bowlsby @ Jun 9 2004, 10:01 AM)

- half an hour on the track at laguna is WAY too short ...
- 1 hour in the SF sun is enough to cook my scalp ...
- no 2 914's are the same. not even close ...
- #4 is actually #11 (out of #21 total) and the #2 prototype that made it out of the factory (out of #3 total) and the #1 914-6 ever made ...
- tents can fly ...

smilie_pokal.gif Andy
Demick
- Lots of great memories
- a chance to meet lots of great people.
- see examples of what my car MIGHT look like one day.
- Some amazing new Windows backgrounds.
- a nail in my autox tires
- a lost wedding ring (don't tell my wife - I don't think she noticed yet. Replacement should be here tomorrow)
- a drive around Laguna Seca - next time will be at speed!
- a sunburn
- a grin that still won't come off
SLITS
(bowlsby @ Jun 9 2004, 10:01 AM)

1.) Howard & Bernie are older than I but we share a background from the ice age.

2.) Howard is a +3 asshole

3.) Nobody can read or follow a map if they drive a 914.

4.) Not all Scotts wear kilts (skirts) and they are funnier than hell (if you can understand them)!!!!!

5.) Six conversion people are OK

6.) Dark/Damp Dave can actually drive a running 914 instead of sitting in a garage making sounds with his lips.

7.) Candlestick/3Com is EFFFIN cold

8.) My ass was really comfortable in a 914 seat for 1200 miles

9.) Scott Kline gets angry when he misses cones.

10.) The people that inhabit this board are the friendliest, warmest bunch of addicts I have ever seen.

11.) There are people that devote enormous time and energy to create a wonderful thing and all they get are kudos for doing so.

12.) It doesn't matter what your teener looks like as long as it got you there and back.

13.) Waving at cops as you fly by is not the best idea.

14.) Restaurants hate parties over the number of 2

15.) We are one and all friends and hope we meet again soon!!!!
Ferg
-The people people people
-start of a new yearly tradition
-the small shimmy in my front end goes away at 90mph biggrin.gif
-914's can be driven long distances
-car events can be family orientated (The Hunt family were awesome.)
-Snoopy has a great exhaust note (barwoooo!)
-sea level has a noticeable + hp effect on a six.

Can't wait for next year, with Ferg wife and baby in tow.

Ferg beer.gif
neo914-6
Demick,
- a drive around Laguna Seca - next time will be at speed!

This was going on the during the same weekend:
http://www.greenflagdriving.com/
Scott from Renegade participated on Saturday in his flagship 914.
Felix
grantsfo
Thanks again Jeff and all the others/sponsors who made WCC happen. This event was a real success in my mind. It finally got me to commit to fixing my 914 and then to drag it out to an autocross. The event also made it clear to me that I want to hang on to my 914 and start doing more AX and track events soon. I'm looking into roll cage etc now. I had forgotten how well 914's handle in AX's. The last 914 I had been in during an autocross was a fast 914-6 in 1974 - I was 12 years old and a passenger.

I'm planning to get much more AX seat time this year. I still need to work on my ability to see an AX course in the sea of cones. I have done 3 autocrosses in my life (Two with LPR last year and WCC last week) and in all three I seem to get lost even after I walk the course. Think next time I'm going to sketch course and hang the picture off my mirror!

Youre right about vendors and repair shops benefitting from WCC. Pelican Parts and others took some significant $$$$ out of my wallet!
Demick
Thanks Felix

The newly formed Coastal driving school will be there in 2 weeks but I can't make it that weekend. Next time Coastal puts on an event there I'm going to be there if at all possible!

Demick
mightyohm
I learned that you can install your engine 3 days before the event and have a perfectly running car for the weekend. (Thanks Dave).

Also for the first time since I bought it my 914 is not leaving little puddles of oil everywhere I park. Thanks WCC for inspiring me to fix that and a bunch of other things too. biggrin.gif
Jeff Bonanno
long list not all of which include a 914 but my favorite:

Howard weighs just enough to keep a portapot from blowing over.
Toast
laugh.gif ROTFLMAO
Porsche Rescue
I truly enjoyed the conversations I had with everyone I met. My one regret is that I only met about a third of the group. I know the cars better than the people. Gives me another reason to attend next time. Thanks to all for a great long weekend.

Here I am in my Phoenix (ORANGE) red car at Portland International Raceway. Sounds like we might be there next year. Now, if we can just get Jeff and his band of organizers to move to the Beaver State!
nebreitling
I learned that:

I am way more into my car than i though i was

My girlfriend is way less into my car than i thought she was
(still love her)

I've only been driving my 914 at a fraction of its potential

I need sticky tires

Jeff Bowlsby is one of the most kind and generous men around

Brad's not nearly the asshole he claims to be laugh.gif

nate
bondo
I learned:

There are two San Bruno Avenues (one north of candlestick, one south)

If you only go to the free events you don't get to meet anyone

I have about a year to finish my 914

cool.gif

--Royce
Brad Roberts
I only met about half the people.

I learned:

Our club ROCKS. Our people ROCK and our 914's ROCK.

I stood by myself several times throughout the weekend taking it all it. I dreamed of events like this but never thought I would see it take place. Hopefully some of the other "914clubs" take notice. We are a LOUD voice now in the community. I have a funny feeling it will only get bigger. I know the vendors have taken notice.

B
Mrs. K
-I realized that I have always loved cars, but now I really
want to get a 914!
-All of the people I met and hung out with were awesome!
-Good for all of us "Newbie gals" Alison, etc.
-Great to meet some of the 914 'official' gals, Birgit, Toast,
Jenny....you are all so nice!
-I realized that Scott LOVES to race AX and he needs to get
going on his Chalon for next time!
- I realized that Howard is crazy, and I love it!
- Thanks again Jeff et. al. for a great event!
- A big thanks to Craig for letting me catch a ride at Laguna
Seca! What a thrill! But not long enough on the track!!!!!
----Lisa laugh.gif smilie_pokal.gif
markb
QUOTE(Carl @ Jun 9 2004, 09:15 AM)
Well, it wasn't really a discovery. I knew Jon Watts has a very clever sense of humor but I couldn't help but laugh at the music on his cd and the radio-tuning bits. I don't have a cd player in the 914 so it didn't get played until last night but I laughed thinking about how Jon assembled the cd.

Thanks, Jon. You did a good job and I look forward to the next edition.

Any chance some of us that couldn't attend could get one of these cd's? Good fun driving music is always good to have.
PatW
QUOTE(jonwatts @ Jun 9 2004, 09:07 AM)
I discovered that a mere 2 hours in the Hayward sun is enough to cook my scalp
headbang.gif

Got a cool looking half circle worth of sunburn the back of my bald head.
Bleyseng
I wore my 914 hat most of the weekend to keep from getting burnt to a crisp.

Yep, this club rocks! Soo many good people and I only got to speak with about half of you.
Monique wants to try to AX soon, she was so excited by all the racing action.
She was bored to death when the #4 car was being talked about. "Gee, its kinda rusty, is Brad gonna fix that?" "I hope he picks a better color"

We are still talking about when Howard jumped in the car pushing Jeroen out and we took off driving. Howard never stopped talking and was soo funny!

All the cars at the AX was the best part of the WCC for me!

Geoff
PatW
Did the tour with Carl. driving.gif
Drove a car on the track at Laguna for the first time. clap56.gif
I know/talked to almost everyone but, can't remember their names. confused24.gif
The looks on peoples faces at Hayward. Seeing all the 914's in the same place. bootyshake.gif
Touching a lost time capsule. #4 pray.gif
Got a demo ride in a Viper. burnout.gif
Listened to car tunes on the 914world.com CD.. Please make another.
And much more..

Pat
Brad Roberts
Yep. It takes a very special 914 FREAK to appreciate the prototype car.

It was good to see you and Monique. I always feel that I dont spend enough time with you guy's when you are in town. It always feels rushed. It was cool having dinner with you guy's at Chili's in SanJo. I also wanted to thank you for installing my alternator.. I was NOT looking forward to it after the hell night.

B
RD Evans
What did I learn? Always wear a cap and use sun block at all outdoor 914 Club events. My face looks like I need skin grafts. I learned that there are many others that love these cars as much as I do and I like hanging out with them. I learned that riding with Demick will give you whip lash but will also make your "ass smile" as you try to keep it in his stock 914 seats. I have a long shopping list for products from other club members (James, Mueller, Jeff, Craig, etc.). I learned how incredible this club is and how it deserves more of my support!
PatW
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Jun 9 2004, 07:54 PM)
Yep. It takes a very special 914 FREAK to appreciate the prototype car.

It was like I could feel something special running through my fingers as I touched a fender. I could not stop saying "wow, look at that" or "what the hell is that?"

It really felt like a pridvlage to see #4 up close. Thank you Brad. Something I won't soon forget.

Pat
Brad Roberts
Check out all the pics Dave shot in this thread back in Feb:

Prototype 9146

I still continue to find wierd crap on the car..

B
Bleyseng
Hey B, it was nothing to install the alternator. Something to do while you was fixin 914's for the AX. Wish we could have helped Chris Reale sad.gif

Hey, the dinner at chili's was fun. Nice and low key....Monique and I also visited a couple of other non car friends while we were down. It is hard to do just car stuff for 4 days! Monique liked the HPH shop ( her dad ran the only Nissan Dealer in Suriname). She also thinks you drive like you are from Suriname!
Another time we will get some time to kick back and BS....

The whole event was Excellent!

SEEING TWO LE's was way cool! I haven't seen them in person since they were new pretty much.

Geoff
Dave_Darling
Mrs. K--I love that avatar! If you've got a high-res version, and can zoom in on the lenses even more (and maybe lighten them up a bit with Photoshop so we can see the reflections better), I think you should enter them in the Best Photo contest. Uhh, if you haven't already. (Gonna read that thread in a bit, I promise!)

--DD
Mrs. K
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jun 10 2004, 09:08 AM)
Mrs. K--I love that avatar!  If you've got a high-res version, and can zoom in on the lenses even more (and maybe lighten them up a bit with Photoshop so we can see the reflections better), I think you should enter them in the Best Photo contest.  Uhh, if you haven't already.  (Gonna read that thread in a bit, I promise!)

--DD

Hey, Thanks Dave!
I just might be working on that now(hehehehe)

It was great meeting you this weekend!

Great pics you posted, by the way!

Cheers,
Lisa beerchug.gif
Toast
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Jun 9 2004, 08:19 PM)

We are still talking about when Howard jumped in the car pushing Jeroen out and we took off driving. Howard never stopped talking and was soo funny!

Geoff

OMG! I missed this one.
laugh.gif
Please tell me this story! lol2.gif
Alison Baker
jeff and everybody that helped organise the WCC .THANKS A BUNCH. beerchug.gif ....I thought there wasn'y gonna be a lot of " us girls " but I was shocked ... rocking nana.gif ..
I wish it was this weekend again ...I met so many people and they were all so nice...got many people asking me to repeat myself but hey Im used to it noo , I just laugh it off noo..Can we get something arranged for September as it was so cool... finger.gif
DNHunt
I still have a warm fuzzy feeling.

Reflections

Give me a bunch of people who are willing to get their hands dirty any day. I had a burned out headlight so Ferg just gave me his spare and wouldn't take anything for. Then he and some other guys hung around while I changed it. When it didn't work they checked the circuit with DVM. I didn't have the leads plugged in.

My right foot lifts subconciously. I want to keep it down but it's not my fault it lifts.

I saw some really nice cars.

Driving through a stand of Eucalyptus with the top off smells really good.

My wife may make car wife yet

14 year old boys really dig cars

10 year old girls really dig shopping

What a GREAT TIME

Dave
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.