Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine Removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
newdeal2
I am planning to remove my 2.0 and I am leaning towards the Pelican article on engine removal. Here are my questions:

1] Safest way to keep the front of the car stable when I am jacking up the back. I assume it's safest to leave the wheels on the front.

2] Any other options besides the furniture cart?

3] Most of the floor jacks I have seen only go up to about 20" or so...is this enough? This is also the safe limit of my jack stands [3 ton SUV].

4]Is there an easier way to get to remove the CV's other than on the ground prior to lifting the car?

5]Will it be better to remove the HC's and exhaust prior to avoid damage?

Any pointers will be appreciated.
SLITS
1] Safest way to keep the front of the car stable when I am jacking up the back. I assume it's safest to leave the wheels on the front.

Block them and Yes

Any low height rolling dolly

3] Most of the floor jacks I have seen only go up to about 20" or so...is this enough? This is also the safe limit of my jack stands [3 ton SUV].

Place bolcks of wood on the pad to get a higher lift. You need working room.

4]Is there an easier way to get to remove the CV's other than on the ground prior to lifting the car?

Nope!

Muffler for added rear clearance. HEs make good handles to guide and pull engine from under car - just not to much force on them

Pnambic
Yeah, what he said.

Also, when finally dropping the engine, the engine tin might get caught on a part of the suspension console, bending up the tin if you're not careful. At Seanery's, we found that if we raised one side of the car high enough to completely clear that little suspension ear, then we could shift the engine to the side (underneathe that ear) a little to clear the ear on the other side. Had we tried dropping the engine straight down, we would have mangled the tin.

We removed the HE's to avoid smashing or otherwise damaging them during removal.
RustyWa
QUOTE(newdeal2 @ Jun 9 2004, 12:28 PM)
I am planning to remove my 2.0 and I am leaning towards the Pelican article on engine removal. Here are my questions:

Any pointers will be appreciated.

1. I just put chocks in front and behind the front wheels.

2. I used a furniture cart. You might want to put a piece of wood, on the cart, under the front of the engine to match the angle the car will be when you go to unbolt the engine/tranny.

3. One of mine says something like 15.25". I had no real problem. I even left the rear valance on. But did take off the air filter housing.

4. I raise the car up and use e-brake to hold everything. That way I can spin the wheels to give as much access to the CV bolts as possible.

5. I left the HE's and muffler attached. No problems. Just make sure the engine is not resting on an exchanger tube while it is on the cart.

I also had the engine tin catch on the suspension ear bolt.
tat2dphreak
you can leave the front wheels on, but I usally have the front wheels off and on jackstands(low setting) when I'm doing this anyway, and that works great for me...

furniture cart works great... and cheap

the HEs and muffler get in the way to me... I take mine off...
newdeal2
Really....no problem with the tipping or shifting as you are working the rear?
seanery
Dan, we left the HE's on. We did remove the carbs and manifolds as an assembly.
I tried a beefier cart, bad idea, we had to go buy a furniture dolly.

Make sure you have someone with you, it makes life much easier.
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(newdeal2 @ Jun 9 2004, 04:47 PM)
Really....no problem with the tipping or shifting as you are working the rear?

none... I think stand placement had something to do with that though... my stands are on the long circular brace in the front... no undercarriage cover in my way wink.gif <_<

I wouldn't put stands in the stock jack point in the front and raise the back that much...
Bruce Allert
as for the CV's, I disconnected mine with the rear raised to the heigth for engine removal. Came apart quite easy and I had glorius working room!

.....b
bob174
The Pelican instructions work good. Use what's recommended. However, I found that in using the furniture dolly, it helped to have about a 12" long hunk of 2x4 on part of the dolly pointing to the front of the car to kind of prop the engine up on the dolly a couple of inches. It's not so much for the removal as the installation. It helped to have the front of the engine higher than the back as you're lowering the car onto the engine.
URY914
Peter,

If you need a hand, I've pulled mine and other engines countless times and can help. I'm just over around USF.

PM me with a phone # and we can talk if you want.

Paul
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.