Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine oil for break in
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jporsche914
I am having my 1972 1.7L engine rebuilt back to stock spec. The only part that isnt stock is the oil pump i went with a higher volume one. I was reading a post a couple of day ago about engine oil but nowbody said very much about oil to break in an engine with. What would you guys recommend to use?
Thanks
TimT
Dont use a synthetic...

Just use a good quality dyno oil... and change it soon

Weird how Porsches come filled with synth though?
brant
I am not a builder...
but I've had a few engines built for me and followed my mechanics break in instructions at the time...

years ago I was told to use non detergent oils .. straight weight (30)...

but in the last 5 or so years, I've had 2 new type IV's and was told to just use regular good multi- wt.

everybody has their favorite.. my current motor I was told to use quaker state for the break in.

with a TIV, Its important to keep the revs up 2200rpm to keep the cam lubed at break in..
I believe that 20minutes is the correct amount and then use this to cure the motor, shut it off.. drain the oil.. let it completely cool down over night.. reset the valves and then put in fresh oil and do 500miles..

then drain it, and cool it and do the valves again...

on race motors I've switched to syn oil at 500 miles but for a street motor I think I would wait longer.. maybe 3000 or so...

brant
jporsche914
Would a castrol 10w30 work for the break in.
brant
castrol of your preferred weight would be fine.
ask the guy who built the motor for you to recommend his favorite and also ask him for break in directions...

the cam lube on a new cam is VERY important.. don't fail to do that.

Who did build the motor for you up there?

brant
newdeal2
Make sure you read up on the proper break in of the rings...

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.