Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: spewing fuel
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
solo1
Driving this weekend, smelled gas. Stop the car and fuel pouring out. Nothing on engine mercifully, you guys adviced last year to replace those lines. Imagine its the lines from the tank thru the "tunnel" to the back. Any advice? how tough is it to get the lines out of the tunnel and replaced? stainless steel vs not stainless steel. Should I just replace every single line and get it over with now? Last question, any body sell a kit with ALL the lines prepackaged?
Hammy
QUOTE(solo1 @ Jun 6 2011, 08:46 AM) *

Driving this weekend, smelled gas. Stop the car and fuel pouring out. Nothing on engine mercifully, you guys adviced last year to replace those lines. Imagine its the lines from the tank thru the "tunnel" to the back. Any advice? how tough is it to get the lines out of the tunnel and replaced? stainless steel vs not stainless steel. Should I just replace every single line and get it over with now? Last question, any body sell a kit with ALL the lines prepackaged?

Not too bad. You can do it leaving the tank in but much easier with the tank out and not that hard to remove the tank. Racer Chris sells SS fuel line kits that I was very pleased with. I would replace all the fuel hose on the car (high pressure 30R9).
Cap'n Krusty
It's hardly ever the lines running through the body. Best to take a good look before you start throwing money!

The Cap'n
76-914
Whoa, Hold 'er Newt. What year is your teener. I ask because you may want to relocate the fuel pump if you have a '74 or earlier model. I replaced my fuel lines in the tunnel w/ SS lines but my engine was out and my fuel tank, too. It only took about 30 min's. You'll want to drop the right rear tire too. This is one of those " if your going to do that then you'll want to do this, too" jobs. So drop your engine and replace all your engine/injector hoses. Probably time to R&R your injector seals, also. beerchug.gif
windforfun
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jun 6 2011, 10:54 AM) *

It's hardly ever the lines running through the body. Best to take a good look before you start throwing money!

The Cap'n

agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif
mrgjones
QUOTE(windforfun @ Jun 6 2011, 11:07 AM) *

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jun 6 2011, 10:54 AM) *

The Cap'n

agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif

agree.gif

Pulled mine out only to find out there was absolutely zero wrong with the old ones. Those factory plastic tunnel lines are a lot stronger than the braided fuel lines. The non tunnel lines dry out and get thin, then crack at the clamps locations. If you're dead set on replacing the tunnel lines your going to have to take the tank out anyway so just do it in the beginning. I had to drill the rubber grommet to get the new lines to fit right. I also agree this is a good time to relocate the fuel pump. Didn't have to drop the engine but I took the carpet up so I could see where they were hanging up in the tunnel. Good luck.
Rotary'14
QUOTE(solo1 @ Jun 6 2011, 08:46 AM) *

Me and another guy on here sells stainless fuel lines. There's a video of installation in my vendor section thread. (you can click on SS fuel lines in my sig) It's way easier to install if the fuel tank is out. I have both tunnel and engine compartment fuel lines available. You can get 30R9 FI fuel hose from pepboys for a reasonable price.

-Robert
solo1
You guys rock. Ill avoid messing with the tunnel and investigate. Seems all i have to do is turn her over and look for the spewage. thanks again to all of you.
VaccaRabite
Turning over and looking for spewage is a recipe for tears and dry chem dust. You know you have a leak. Pull the tank and replace all the rubber lines. Don't do this 1/2 assed. Don't do the tunnel if you don't want to ( though I would and did) but do replace ALL the old rubber fuel hose. Fire sucks.
solo1
good advice. Ill be on it this weekend. Thanks again
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.