Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Transmission mounts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Woody
Well after this weekends track day my transmission mounts are shot. What are ya'll running and how do you like them? The car is an occasional track day, monthly AXer that will sometimes see street duty too. Has a cammed, carbed 2056. I was looking at the Tarett mounts but they are completely solid. The weltmeister brand looks okay and appears to have a block of poly for maybe some softness. The other option is the Wevo mounts but they are almost double the cost of the Taretts and triple the Weltmeisters. What do you guys think?
McMark
I know two people who pulled out their solid mounts because of vibration (noise and loosening bolts).

Get 911 Sport mounts.
SirAndy
QUOTE(McMark @ Jun 6 2011, 01:02 PM) *
Get 911 Sport mounts.

agree.gif

They work great for the street and the occasional AX or track day. driving.gif
markb
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 6 2011, 01:26 PM) *

Get 911 Sport mounts.

agree.gif

agree.gif

& we stock them. smile.gif
Cap'n Krusty
Solid and semi-solid mounts transfer more of the load to sheet metal. Not the best plan, IMO. As has already been mentioned, OE mounts are a viable option, given the originals have lasted 30-40 years, and the sport mounts have the potential advantage of further development time.

The Cap'n
carr914
WEVO's are pieces of Art
Woody
QUOTE(markb @ Jun 6 2011, 03:34 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 6 2011, 01:26 PM) *

Get 911 Sport mounts.

agree.gif

agree.gif

& we stock them. smile.gif

Mark you list two of them on your website, which ones do I want?
Krieger
Get the 911 sport engine mounts. This will be a great improvement in the handling and gear shifting of the car. I did a total restoration of my car with brand new oem trans mounts/engine mounts. It was as good as a 914 gets, but I had trouble down shifting into gear under extreme braking/ turning. I also had an issue when making a hard turn. The car would turn in then a moment later I'd feel what I thought were the tires "rolling over". After a couple of years of dealing with it like this I was fortunate enough to have a really good driver watching my car as I was on a run. He told me my exhaust was flopping all over the place. I checked it out and it and everthing was tight except the stock mounts are loose enough to permit this unwanted motion. I was able to easily move the engine/trans assembly with my hand. I upgraded to the 911 sport mounts and all that unwanted motion is gone. My cars handling is awsome, very consistant. Shifting while braking/turning is spot on.
Mike Bellis
I run semi solid mounts and love them. I have broken 911 mounts with my V8. I do have a cage tied into the tranny mount location and the sheet metal seam welded. Not for everyone but it works for me. Not too much vibration for a street legal race car. biggrin.gif
campbellcj
I fairly recently replaced the solid Weltmeisters with the WEVO blue semi-solids and have no complaints.
dion9146
Interesting. I've run solid mounts on 3 different cars, mostly street, and never have had a complaint. My car shifts very, very well, but now I'm wondering what kind of change in 'feel' it would have with sport mounts. idea.gif
Andyrew
I run 911 sport mounts in my v8 (Solid polyurithane in the front though). Stiff enough to let the chassis rock when im revving it, yet little vibration felt through the chassis.
J P Stein
WEVO or buy something cheep.

When you buy the 9eleben sport mounts you'll notice how thin the metal is.....cause they are made to hold in compression & not tension....you also need the cup washers to go with em'. Just cause something can be done doesn't mean it should be done.
If you can find 914/6 trans mounts they will also hold up.
Chris Pincetich
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jun 6 2011, 01:48 PM) *

WEVO's are pieces of Art

I'm a sucker for cool race parts, and the WEVO mounts have been awesome for me. I have had them 3 years with about 20 AX races and dozens of trips over very windy, bumpy roads. My TIV has stock, late mounts on the engine and the WEVO mounts at the transaxle. beerchug.gif
dion9146
So my question is: will $175 in WEVO mounts make enough difference to justify the expense? My car shifts great, I honestly have never thought about unnecessary vibrations, and I've never actually noticed anyone crawling up under my car to check out the bling bling tranny mounts behind the big 'ol banana muffler. smile.gif
GeorgeRud
The WEVO mounts are worth the money IMHO! Pieces of art.
Tom
I put 911 sport mounts on mine. I don't AX, so don't really know if they would help there, but for the street. the car is tight and handles well. Also helped with the shifting.
Tom
J P Stein
QUOTE(dion9146 @ Jun 7 2011, 02:16 PM) *

So my question is: will $175 in WEVO mounts make enough difference to justify the expense? My car shifts great, I honestly have never thought about unnecessary vibrations, and I've never actually noticed anyone crawling up under my car to check out the bling bling tranny mounts behind the big 'ol banana muffler. smile.gif

Probably not...... but you'll never have to think about trans mounts again. biggrin.gif
dion9146
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Jun 7 2011, 08:03 PM) *

QUOTE(dion9146 @ Jun 7 2011, 02:16 PM) *

Probably not...... but you'll never have to think about trans mounts again. biggrin.gif

This is my 3rd 914 with these same solid mounts, and that includes years of auto crosses and track events. I've never thought about them until this thread. smile.gif

J P Stein
QUOTE(dion9146 @ Jun 7 2011, 05:30 PM) *

This is my 3rd 914 with these same solid mounts, and that includes years of auto crosses and track events. I've never thought about them until this thread. smile.gif

Solid aluminum mounts have been known to fatigue the rear trans ears.....snap. Never heard of the solid poly doing that tho.
If you're happy with your mounts...don't think about em'. biggrin.gif
Black22
911 Sport mounts for me...trans shifted fine before, but improved after installing sports!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.