Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A couple newbie questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JayKoit
Hello everyone,

I'm a newbie thats still getting his feet wet, so bear with me.

I've been hanging out in the forums here and had a couple questions:

-What makes a Raby inspired engine?

-What is a CW restoration? what does CW stand for?

-I'm hoping to get a 914 to restore in the near future. If I don't find one with the GT flared fenders, is it really difficult to put them on a standard 914?

Like i said, I'm green and I'm still learning. Thanks!
eric9144
welcome.png

-What makes a Raby inspired engine?

Go see @ www.aircooledtechnology.com He's a site member and all around TypeIV guru.

Concours winning!

GT flared fenders, is it really difficult to put them on a standard 914?

No, well if you're a body guy then no, they are available and easily installed...

Good luck with your search, 914's are addicting and quite fun to drive! driving.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(eric9144 @ Jun 6 2011, 01:57 PM) *

Concours winning!

... well, errr - it also can stand for Concours Weenie or Concours Wanker, etc.! biggrin.gif
....... and I can say this, cuz I've apparently inadvertantly become one. dry.gif

Basically a CW car is a 914 that is factory original and/or kept/preserved or restored to perfect condition as either an original or in some cases a modified example (e.g.: a "tribute" resto conversion to 914-6/GT look/stds.), which is entered in Concours d'Elegance events with the Porsche Club of America (PCA), VW & Car Clubs, etc. (or capable of such entry/competition - even if the owner doesn't do so).

BTW - most local PCA CdE's are really a contest about who can be the most anal about keeping their P-cars perfectly clean & well maintained - including the oddest nooks-n-crannies, since originality is not judged until the National "Parade" level & some close tie-breakers for Zone CdE competitions. So you could really enter any set-up 914 that was close to original in your local PCA shows if you wanted to for fun (even just "Wash-n-Shine").

PCA isn't a bad deal, since for $42/yr you'll get 2 magazines monthly (Panoram/national & your LA Region's), you'll get about 20% off of Porsche parts & goodies from the dealers, and will save about $20 on your Certificate of Authenticity (COA) from Porsche Cars of North America (PCNA) - if you wanted one; as well as the "social," CdE, Autocross (AX), Drivers' Ed (DE) & race events.

There's the OC Region's CdE coming up this weekend on 6/11 in Dana Point if you're interested in seeing a bunch of P-cars near the Beach (9a - 2p at Lantern Bay Park).

On the flares, IMHO stick with the steel flares for better rigidity & a uniform body, not to mention being more durable (even if a tad heavier). Keep in mind that the extra wide tires under those flares will eat up both mpg & hp on your stock-ish Type-IV motors (1.7, 1.8 & 2.0), and even on the built-up ones noted below - while they improve the stickiness on the curves. A stock 914 in what are now considered "skinny" tires (155R15 & 165R15) are no slouches in handling the curves, and even a modest 185/70R15 - 195/65R15 upgrade was/is a terror, without having to flare a 914 (i.e.: on a "narrow body 914").

On the Raby motors, read up the links on that website, and also check out FAT Performance (Orange) & Original Customs (Napa - McMark on here & at banner ads & member vendors) for built up Type-IV motors, and West Coast Motors/Cap'n Krusty on here (Santa Maria), Otto's (Venice), Aase (Fullerton), Der Buggy (Garden Grove),Bill Brewster (San Clemente), etc. for some local T-4 SoCal engine builders.

I already welcomed you on your first post the other night, biggrin.gif so ...

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
kevin311
You chose the best site on the net for info and good people!
I lurked here for a year and learned averything i could about these cars before buying one, even so, when the time came to buy my anticipation got the best of me and i ended up with a rusty parts car.\
So, when the guys here say search for the best one you can afford and dont buy the first one you see LISTEN!! biggrin.gif
Another year later (and much more learning) i ended up with this one for $3000 (sorry for the hijack, just got it about 3 weeks ago so im still giddy).
I had seen probably 10 teeners that i thought i wanted until this one popped up.

IPB Image

Ask all the questions you can (Use the search function first! biggrin.gif ), i have never come across a board online that was full of so many knowlegable, selfless people that will go out of their way to help. It makes an already fun car into a truly enjoyable toy.
welcome.png and good luck with your search!

oh and to answer your questions,
Raby inspired = inspired by the Man Himself
CW = concourse winner/winning
Flares = fiberglass (easier - could crack over time) metal (much harder - no cracking)
eric9144

... well, errr - it also can stand for Concours Weenie or Concours Wanker, etc.! biggrin.gif
....... and I can say this, cuz I've apparently inadvertantly become one. dry.gif

lol-2.gif lol-2.gif av-943.gif
agree.gif

Everything they said, and Kevin, congrats, the proud owner thing may never wear off...

Jay, be patient and buy the best one you can afford, it will make the experience far cheaper and more enjoyable if you do!
JayKoit
Thanks for all the very useful info and tips guys, I really appreciate it!

Tom, thanks for all the useful leads on all the California based guys that are building type IV engines, I'll be keeping all those names handy...

Oh, and congrats Kevin, your new 914 looks great! Quite a steal at only $3K too.

Talk to you all soon!

dion9146
Not all flares need to be steel or need to be welded.....

Welcome!
welcome.png Click to view attachment

Niklas
Do you fasten the flares with dzus ?
eric9144
Damn Dion that thing is sweet! drooley.gif
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(Niklas @ Jun 7 2011, 02:14 PM) *

Do you fasten the flares with dzus ?

Dzus works.
dion9146
Thanks for the compliment.

Yep, dzus fasteners, and even though it's not a racecar, being able to remove the flares sure does come in handy when working on the front/rear suspension.

Click to view attachment

Dion
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.