Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Muffler Paint and Chrome Tip (1.7 OE muffler)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
913B
I have a muffler which is primered like the tip. What kind of paint, high temp I suppose, and what color did the original came with ?

My second request. I have seen pics of just the square portion chromed. I like that clean look. Did they have to take it to a chrome plater or can I just use some chrome paint. Let me know if your have BTDT and chime in on how its done.

Thanks All !!!
Ted

beerchug.gif
Click to view attachment
jmill
I've seen slide over chrome tips locked on with screws along with weld on stainless tips. I suppose you could get it chromed but you'd have to smooth it out to look nice. I bet a muffler shop could hook you up cheaper. Stainless straight pipe isn't spendy.
McMark
Most 'chrome' tips are welded on. The welding burns some of the chrome, but in an area where it isn't seen. Check SummitRacing.com
Tom_T
Porsche sold "chromed exhaust beauty tips" for all 3 engine types: -6, 1.7/1.8 & 2.0, but I'm not sure if the 1.7/1.8 is still available, I know the -6 is (same as for 911s) & that the 2.0 is NLA. They are/were all slip on with clips cut/bent in to hold them in place (not welded). You can get a part no. in the PET & call a dealer to check if yours are still available. Don't know about weld-on & other aftermarkets.

Here are some pix from a 72 accessories brochure showing the tips:
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Here's a link to a -6 tip still available just as an example:
http://www.sierramadrecollection.com/store...ate=1&p=558

"Square Portion chromed" ???
If you mean the actual 1.7/1.8 (74) muffler (called "Silencer" in the PET, then those were painted exhaust grey & someone would've had them chromed for their tastes.
Dave_Darling
I've heard that some of the chrome tips you can get at your FLAPS are tight enough that you can just pound them onto the tailpipe and they stay put...

--DD
RickS
As for paint - you want VHT Very High Temp Flame Proof - the Flame Proof is part is the most impt: http://www.tcpglobal.com/spraypaintdepot/v...lame-proof.aspx

I did mine in primer gray - not stock, but liked the result. The chrome tip was already added before I purchased the muffler.
azbill
Don't mess with paint -- just powder coat. never have to do it again. After powder coating put the tip on. Welding is ok will mess up the powder coating onl where it is. good luck

Bill
DanT
Media blasted the muffler, painted with grey BBQ high temp paint, twin piped with SS pipe.See it here Muffler

Pot #298
Andyrew
I second FLAPS

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessori...ier=712183_0_0_
jcd914
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jun 6 2011, 09:40 PM) *

Porsche sold "chromed exhaust beauty tips" for all 3 engine types: -6, 1.7/1.8 & 2.0, but I'm not sure if the 1.7/1.8 is still available, I know the -6 is (same as for 911s) & that the 2.0 is NLA. They are/were all slip on with clips cut/bent in to hold them in place (not welded). You can get a part no. in the PET & call a dealer to check if yours are still available. Don't know about weld-on & other aftermarkets.

Sample of a tip for a 1.7L

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Jim
underthetire
The chrome in a can will never survive, don't bother.
913B
I will check the PET and FLAPS for the tip. IF I decided to keep it gray, I read in the originality forums they were gray. I did not know that . Should I re-coat with Flame proof gray paint or is that gray paint from the factory good enough, dont want to wait and find out later. Sorry I did not take a pic of the muffler, but it was same color as the tip.

And the last question. Yes I understand its my car, do what whatever you want with it. What would you guys do, leave it gray or attempt to find the tip. Its kinda original 1971 1.7 with 5 -lug Fuchs.

Thanks so much guys for your inputs.
mikey63
I used a piece of 2" aluminum pipe that I polished and held it on with two set screws
913B
QUOTE(jcd914 @ Jun 7 2011, 08:40 AM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jun 6 2011, 09:40 PM) *

Sample of a tip for a 1.7L

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Jim

Jim, would you mind letting me know the p/n off box of that tip.
Is it for sale ?

Thanks !!!
jmill
ZPW 151 052

I have an HP mini so I turned the computer sideways to read the box. bye1.gif

913B
Thanks John !
RFoulds
Keep the muffler gray from the factory and add the correct chrome tip.

If you cant add the correct tip, add one that will do little to no damage whatsoever to the finish so you can remove it if you change your mind.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.