Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Damn, fried more electronics today....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
I mis-read the wiring diagram for my megasquirt fuel injection today, turns out I put 12vdc directly into the input pin that reads the signal from the TPS...

normally this input ranges from 1vdc to 5vdc

I couldn't figure out why my processor got so hot that I couldn't touch it....

DOH!!!!!!

luckly I have spare parts (another brand new, unbuilt Megasquirt)
the bad part is that I told Andy (the german dude) I'd sell him this one unit...anyone have an extra one for Andy???? smile.gif
TimT
we need a "circuit giving off smoke " smiley LOL
SirAndy
this one will do ...

welder.gif

laugh.gif Andy

PS: yepp, someone with a spare MS, please PM me ...
pray.gif
tod914
For you guys that have been tinkering around with the megasquirt, what's your overall impression?
Will it be a system that will be marketed?
bperry
I would hope that before it goes into any sort of
production that all the inputs get changed to at least tolerate
infinitely long direct connections to +12v or ground regardless
of what their expected inputs are supposed to be.

If not, people will be constantly accidently frying their circuits
which will give the product a bad name.

I'm actually quite surprised that someone would design an
automotive circuit that strictly requires TTL input levels and
smokes when it recieves a +12v input.

Unfortunately, regardless of how well you document and
warn people about something
like this, people will not follow directions and blame the product.

The best thing to do is to design the product at a slightly increased
cost, that is pretty much bulletproof especially when its in a
product that is self installed by the customer.

People will do the strangest (and dumbest) things with your product.
BTDT

--- bill
lapuwali
Megasquirt isn't a "product" per se. It's an open source kit, with full plans and code available so you can make one from scratch yourself, or you can buy a circuit board and parts kits from 2-3 different places, basically at cost. No one is making a profit off this thing (not enough to count, anyway), except Digi-Key and the other small-volume parts suppliers.

People have fried circuits on assembly, but the replacement parts are generally cheap (the processor Mike fried is a $5 socketed part). A number of OEM auto ECUs will be fried stone dead if you hook up their inputs incorrectly, so this is hardly unprecendented. The kit was designed to be small and cheap by a set of engineers who had long experience hacking 80s GM ECUs, and have been gone over and there's been at least 3 revisions to the PCB. It's hasn't been designed to be idiot proof, heat proof, shock proof, vibration proof. It's been designed to work well (hundreds of successful applications to date) when used correctly.

Mike/Andy, I have a couple of rev 1.0 kits on the shelf, and was considering just getting one of the newer rev boards and kits before I started on my D-Jet replacement project (assuming I ever start, that is). I haven't been following things well enough to know if you can use the older board with the newer software, but if you think one of these would be useful to you, let me know...
Mueller
the Megasquirt is in production and is a proven product.....YOU have to build it (a few guys do sell completed boxes, but no wiring harness)

One of the main objects of the MS is a cost effective electronic fuel controller, you start adding in too many features and there goes the "cost effective" portion of it. I'm sure even with the $5000 kits out there, cross a few wires or mismatch something and you'll have smoke......the only way to make this near bulletproof is to make it plug-n-play..that is not an option, nor is it practical.....

I'm sure people have fried thier SDS, electromotive, haltech or motec systems, of course there are not going to admit it out in the public since they are going to want the thing replaced for free....i don't mind sharing my f-ups every once in a while smile.gif

all of the cooked electronics I've been responsible for have been 100% my fault...like yesterday, the diagram I was working off of was a printed at home and it came out really poor, I misread the "28" and thought it said "26".

cannot blame that on the Megasquirt or the documentation smile.gif

it's a learning process, I wouldn't know as much about electronics had everything worked perfect the first time around. ......the MS is not for everyone...if one has a hard time figuring out how to plug in thier toaster in an electrical outlet, I would not recommend the MS at all laugh.gif

Andy, it looks like you can purchase all the parts brand new, so you are in luck....cost is ~150.00, I'm sure mine is repairable, but I'm going to build my V2.2 board today and fix the other board sometime later....if I had my stimulator, i could test it (see this 'Chung??? hint-hint)

MS Main site
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.