Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A quick body panel question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
obscurity
Is there a reason that the rocker panel tucks behind the inner wheelhouse panel during assembly and not the other way around? It seems like having the rocker to the outside should reduce the amount of splashed water that makes it into the cavity.

Just Curious,
John
r_towle
are you talking about the rocker panel cover, or the long?

Rich
obscurity
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 7 2011, 01:59 PM) *

are you talking about the rocker panel cover, or the long?

Rich

The metal long not the often fiberglass cover

John
r_towle
to answer the question I would suggest that they built the original "frame" first and then attached the front and rear sections.

356 is the same way...they built the lower frame and floors on a jig...then moved it down the line for the inner wheel panels..

Probably the same approach..
You need a stable foundation before you start hanging other parts off it so the longs and floors or a 914 would be first, then the rest.

Seam sealer is how to deal with that I guess.

Rich
obscurity
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 7 2011, 02:21 PM) *

to answer the question I would suggest that they built the original "frame" first and then attached the front and rear sections.

356 is the same way...they built the lower frame and floors on a jig...then moved it down the line for the inner wheel panels..

Probably the same approach..
You need a stable foundation before you start hanging other parts off it so the longs and floors or a 914 would be first, then the rest.

Seam sealer is how to deal with that I guess.

Rich

Thanks! I was starting to wonder if it was just a result of the demands of the assembly process rather than a structural need. I am seriously considering reversing the orientation primarily to avoid having to remove the entire long in order to patch the last 2"

John
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.