Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lifters
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
newdeal2
A comment was made about lifter replacement when I was asking about rebuilding the top end [pistons, cylinders and heads]. I was looking at the Pelican site and it says not to replace the lifters if you are not replacing the cam. It will cause premature wear...true?
URY914
You need to replace the cam and the lifters at the same time. If not, one will be harder than the other and will wear at different rates. I have a friend that installed new lifters and it wore the cam lobes down so that they were round. Valves wouldn't open-not good.

Paul
Bleyseng
You replace them is sets. I dunno about the ceramic lifters though, if you can just drop them in.

Geoff
Jake Raby
Ceramics are indestructible and have a Rockwell hardness of 90. You can run them with any cam, even used and be fine..

Not true with ANY otherlifters. I have swapped them out with good luck in the old days, but these days I would not even consider it!
Mark Henry
I've done it before (cheap Canadians wink.gif ) BUT I've had the cam out, total spec. inspection and I've polished the cam. Most T4 cams will not pass the spec. inspection, most of the time they are just worn out.

Like Jake said, with the lifter issues we're having I won't do it now.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.