Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What is the best plug/wire combo with hotspark/petronix units
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DRPHIL914
looking for advice from anyone using these, what brand etc should i use-
on plugs, somewhere i read to use a cooler plug, so what would that be?
and wires-had been using bosch but don't know how old they are-- should i get new bosch or something else??

Phil
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Jun 8 2011, 02:47 PM) *

looking for advice from anyone using these, what brand etc should i use-

Magnecor
Cap'n Krusty
A Pertronix shouldn't make a bit of difference in the spark. It simply triggers the coil, which produces the spark. As for changing the heat range, unless you know a LOT more about what you're doing, I wouldn't. A LOT of engineers figured out what works best, and specified the ones that work best. If you have carbs, you will probably want to go one heat range hotter, because carbs and modern fuels require it. For the plug wires, I prefer German wires other than Bosch, which are held in disregard by most techs and were NOT OE for your car. Magnacore are fine, but really pricey. If you have a 2.0, the wires are a little tricky to order. I think wires for a 912 (NOT 912E!) fit.

The Cap'n
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jun 8 2011, 04:06 PM) *

...Magnacore are fine, but really pricey.

I agree they're pricey.

But as the natural progression of mods go, sooner or later many owners move to some sort of CDI, and with uprated wires, you'd be ready, rather than having to buy yet another set of wires.

What I like about the Magnecor's, at least in the 911 flavor (I haven't seen the /4 flavor so this is speculation on my part...) is that the airseals actually work, and are some kind of hi-temp rubber (silicone? Viton?) that can take the heat. The airseals I've seen on some of the /4 sets (including the Bosch, which I didn't like either) just didn't seem to take the heat well before getting brittle.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.