Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tightening alternator belt
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
matteyp
Can someone tell me how to tighten my alternator belt? For sone reason when i try to spin my motor and put at at tdc it motor will not spin. I think this would be due to a lose belt correct? Some help would be appreciated. Thanks

Matt
URY914
Nope, nothing to due with the belt being tight.
Jeffs9146
If you are trying to spin your motor using the alt bolt this can happen! Use your crank bolt to spin the motor.

You may need to replace the belt or remove a shim from the pully to get the old belt tight.
matteyp
Motor is very hard to turn using the crank bolt. Is this normal?
IronHillRestorations
Remove the spark plugs, and your engine should turn over easily.
nathansnathan
I've never been a fan of turning the engine over by the bolts that hold th fan on. Those have a specific torque value and I can't see how that wouldn't be affected. Plus I turn the engine over CC when I do my valves so that wouldn't work doubly.

Even with the belt tightened properly, depending on the engine's compression, temperature, oil weight, etc, it can make the belt slip.

What you do is take the slack out of the belt (supposed to be 5/8" slack about) by pulling up on the top of the belt toward the fan housing. By this method you will be able to get it past the compression points.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Jun 8 2011, 01:21 PM) *

If you are trying to spin your motor using the alt bolt this can happen! Use your crank bolt to spin the motor.

You may need to replace the belt or remove a shim from the pully to get the old belt tight.

Good luck looking for the shims. There aren't any.

The Cap'n
yeahmag
The easy way to do this is jack one side up so the rear wheel on just one side is in the air. Put the car in 5th gear and turn the wheel (that's in the air).

Easy.
Jeffs9146
I keep forgeting that not everyone has a 6 blink.gif

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jun 8 2011, 03:41 PM) *

QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Jun 8 2011, 01:21 PM) *

Good luck looking for the shims. There aren't any.

The Cap'n

messix
chock wheels [block them so the car can't roll away] release e-brake, jack drivers side rear wheel up so it is not touching the ground, put transmission in a gear [5th works fine] you should be able to move the rear wheel and that will turn the engine. it will NOT turn "easy' but it will turn. if that is too hard to turn remove the spark plugs then it will turn more easy.
matteyp
Thanks, figured that out. Car starts now but has no power. Assuming it needs to be timed with a light. Can someone go over how to do that? Thanks

Matt
McMark
Pull and plug the vac hoses that go to the distributor.
Loosen the 10mm nut on the distributor clamp.
Hook up your timing light.
Rev the engine to 3500 and set it to the red mark on the fan.

That's the short version. You have a Haynes manual, right?
matteyp
Ok so when u say rev the engine to 3500 and set it to the red mark, what exactly am I setting to the red mark? Also the mark on my fan is white. Are u talking about TDC here? Thanks for the help
SLITS
In ideal times, the TDC mark is painted white and the 27 degree BTDC mark is painted red. The red mark is about 4-5 impeller blades to the RIGHT of TDC FACING the impeller.

Start engine ... have someone hold 3000 RPM while you twist the distributor to line up the red mark in the notch of the impeller housing.

If you haven't timed an engine before, buy the Haynes manual and read it or get help.
nathansnathan
IPB Image
Dave_Darling
Here, check this:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9.../914_timing.htm

--DD
McMark
Do you have the Haynes?
messix
not a type 4 but this is the basics http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYGU7mTwsZc
matteyp
Thanks for the help guys
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.