Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Audi AC Compressor Replacement Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Spoke
Car is 1997 Audi A6, 2.8L V6.

Compressor is froze. So pull the old one out, ready to put the new one (Behr) in.

I read the manual that came with the new compressor and came across something I'm not sure of:

Manual reads:
...it is essential to check and/or correct the oil filling level and viscosity according to the manufacturer's instructions before installing the compressor. To do this, drain all the oil. Then fill the compressor with the whole amount of oil prescribed by the vehicle manufacturer.

What the hell does this mean? Do I have to drain and refill the oil before installation?

What kind of oil do compressors take?

Thanks in advance.
dlee6204
Most new compressors are shipped dry. You need to fill the new compressor with the correct oil before installing it.

From doing a little googling...

You will need to add 250 ml of PAG 46 A/C oil to the back of the compressor. Most FLAPS sell it. (Ex: http://www.amazon.com/Interdynamics-494-PA...s/dp/B004H8UYKM ) After adding it, rotate the compressor by hand approx 10 times.

If your compressor froze though, fixing it isn't as simple as replacing the compressor. The old compressor upon failing introduced debris into the system. Everything needs to be flushed and the drier and orifice tube should be replaced. Sometimes the condenser can trap debris as well an will need to be replaced. No need to replace the compressor more than once.
Cap'n Krusty
I hate "me toos" as much as the next guy, but I agree 100% on this one. Do it right, do it once.

The Cap'n
Spoke
Thanks for the replies.

OK, I have a new drier, not the orifice tube or condenser.

When I broke the system open, there was no liquid or gas observed.

Who would be able to flush the system? Is the flush a DIY job or should I check out a shop?

r_towle
Shop with the right equipment works best.
Any decent auto shop will have the machine

rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.