Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Throttle cable tube repair in Portland, OR
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PDXMike

My throttle cable tube is broken off just inside the firewall. It doesn't quite line up and binds on the cable. The car is still driveable, but there's a lot of drag on the throttle making it hard to drive smoothly.

1) Who in Portland, Oregon can repair this?
2) How many hours should it take? What should it cost?

How is this repair done? It looks like the last inch or so of the tube is missing. Will the whole tube need to be replaced? How? Does it need to slide out backwards into the engine bay?

I took it to a shop today. The mechanic thought that he would likely have to cut into the tunnel at the front to re-weld that end too. He said that the tube must have broken on both ends and slid forward. The front end doesn't look broken to me, and I've got a pretty good view with a mirror and a flashlight.

Given all that, he said if everything went well (it never does) he might be done in two hours. If it got complicated it might take 5 hours.

I'd be willing to dig into this myself, but I'm nervous about just making things worse 2 weeks before WCR. Oh yeah, and I'm ridiculously cheap.

Any advice is appreciated,

Mike
jsaum
I replaced mine there's a classic thread on how to replace it, it worked great! I think it was around $40.00 for the tube material and 8 hours to remove and weld the new one in place. There are some good pictures of the inside of the tunnel on Pelican parts website under 914 tech articles. I think your mechanic is right about the front needing repair mine had been badly welded before. Good luck!

Jsaum
McMark
Most importantly... don't let him cut the tunnel to make these repairs.

The tube can be rewelded into place, you don't usually need to replace the whole thing. I'll see if I can search up some threads here for reference.

Two hours is about right.
McMark
Wait... throttle tube? That's a new one. Sure it's not the clutch tube?
PDXMike
Yep, it's the throttle tube. The clutch cable was hacked together at some point too, but that isn't giving me trouble. Here's a picture:

Click to view attachment
McMark
The front has probably broken away from the bracket, but the bracket is still in place in the tunnel. This can look like it's not broken because everything is still in place.

Pulling the tube back into place and brazing it should hold for awhile. There's not as much stress on the throttle cable.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.