Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Old Starter
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mrgjones
Started rehabbing the old starter from my car. My question is if this thing is worth keeping or not. The shaft is free, and I can feel the gears moving. We're moving if it's worthless I'll chuck it. Let me know what you think. ThanksClick to view attachment
70_914
QUOTE(mrgjones @ Jun 9 2011, 04:04 PM) *

Started rehabbing the old starter from my car. My question is if this thing is worth keeping or not. The shaft is free, and I can feel the gears moving. We're moving if it's worthless I'll chuck it. Let me know what you think. ThanksClick to view attachment

I have a couple in my scrap bin if you want more...

They are GOLD PLATED inside. w00t.gif

If you test it at an auto parts store and it is good, it is worth keeping around in case you need to replace your starter in the future. If it is not good you may want to keep it around in case you need to replace your starter in the future- your core is already out of the car and you will save the hassle of going back to the store to get your credit back.
mrgjones
Good to know, thanks.
Tom
I'd keep it. If nothing else you can use it to see how the bendix and starter work and fix your own next time.
Tom
dflesburg
you can test it your self with a battery and a workmate.
keep if good.
mrgjones
Just went through the whole thing. It turns but is way to weak to put back on a car. Do I need new brushes? I'd like to rehab this thing if possible. A spare is always better than a core in my opinion.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.