Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ol' #7.... Rand's back in a 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rand
Picked up this '70 1.7 for $1900. Drove her home 110 miles over the pass from Auburn to Reno. Runs flawless. My first tailshifter, surprised me how well it shifts. Pulled the hills on the pass strong, another surprise from my first 1.7.

So now it begins again.....
eric9144
Looks pretty good in the pic! Straight too! Congratulations on getting back in the 914 saddle!
ConeDodger
Very cool Rand! Nice looking car. It is a little known fact that the 1.7 is a very respectable little motor. With a good driver, a 1.7 gives 2.0 liter cars fits at the autocrosses. It is the 1.8 that is the dog of the group.

I hope to see it soon... We should get together on my next trip over.
markb
beerchug.gif
BMXerror
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jun 10 2011, 11:43 AM) *

It is the 1.8 that is the dog of the group.

If I every get my 1.8 DP motor built, I'll beg to differ. poke.gif .... of course, it won't be L-Jet. biggrin.gif
Mark D.
r_towle
QUOTE(Rand @ Jun 10 2011, 02:26 PM) *

Picked up this '70 1.7 for $1900. Drove her home 110 miles over the pass from Auburn to Reno. Runs flawless. My first tailshifter, surprised me how well it shifts. Pulled the hills on the pass strong, another surprise from my first 1.7.

So now it begins again.....

new wheels, lower it, new suspension, larger motor, new paintjob, interior..

What else....hmmm

Rich
JRust
Awesome! So you'll be joining us for the complete WCR weekend right piratenanner.gif

Looks pretty solid. Glad you found one smile.gif
mstein95
Congratz Rand!!!!

piratenanner.gif

Tom_T

It is a little known fact that the 1.7 is a very respectable little motor. With a good driver, a 1.7 gives 2.0 liter cars fits at the autocrosses. It is the 1.8 that is the dog of the group.

agree.gif

The 70-72 1.7 in stock form turned out almost as much HP as the 75-76 2.0 GC's, & the 73 1.7 & 1.8's in CA smog gear were wimpy! dry.gif

Nice color blue too! drooley.gif wub.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(BMXerror @ Jun 10 2011, 10:49 AM) *

It is the 1.8 that is the dog of the group.

If I every get my 1.8 DP motor built, I'll beg to differ. poke.gif .... of course, it won't be L-Jet. biggrin.gif
Mark D.

Mark, You got that partially right... You'll beg! biggrin.gif Unless your 1.8 exceeds 225HP and 200LbsFt of Torque don't knock on that door. evilgrin.gif
KELTY360
Nice find Rand. Leave it alone and drive it like you stole it!
Bleyseng
Time for a V8!
jzdu
Nice looking car
914werke
agree.gif smile.gif Nice driving-girl.gif
Andyrew
Congrats!!!
Rand
Thanks gang, appreciate the feedback. Gotta love this place.

@Rob, damn straight we need to connect. Beauty is we can talk cars all we want and our women will be happily distracted on their own. I'm liking this. biggrin.gif

@RichT, you nailed the biggest bullet points already on my list. Now help me with the 1000 minors!!! biggrin.gif

@Jamie, we are looking forward to a super cool WCR!!! It's looking to be a great one. Thanks for your work on that front!! Can't wait.

I'm already driving her like I stole her, and her only response is, LET'S GO MORE!!!

Geoff, you knew I started the V8 route with my last car.... If I do the V8 track again it will be all aluminum, LS series. Not a heavy cast iron small block. This isn't the right car though. She's got some flaws. I'm thinking light, minimal, agile, air-cooled... maybe 2270.

Hi RichD, I want to see your creamsicle on the road...:rawk: Miss the PNW contingent.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Rand @ Jun 10 2011, 07:48 PM) *

@Rob, damn straight we need to connect. Beauty is we can talk cars all we want and our women will be happily distracted on their own. I'm liking this. biggrin.gif

Geoff, you knew I started the V8 route with my last car.... If I do the V8 track again it will be all aluminum, LS series. Not a heavy cast iron small block. This isn't the right car though. She's got some flaws. I'm thinking light, minimal, agile, air-cooled... Maybe 2270.

Guess what? I've got a 2270 crank sitting at McMark's shop right now!
Rand
Hmmm. Looking at a parts car Sunday with a 2.0 and sideshifter. Maybe a powertrain build in the works while I drive this girl....
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Rand @ Jun 10 2011, 08:20 PM) *

Hmmm. Looking at a parts car Sunday with a 2.0 and sideshifter. Maybe a powertrain build in the works while I drive this girl....

Heck, I have a case and rods too... All you would really need is P&C's and heads. And as far as that goes, I have a set of 2.0 heads at Len Hoffman's shop that I need to pay him $800 to have rebuilt to LE200 specs. They are the original heads from my car which was taken out at 70K miles.
BMXerror
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jun 10 2011, 03:09 PM) *

Mark, You got that partially right... You'll beg! biggrin.gif Unless your 1.8 exceeds 225HP and 200LbsFt of Torque don't knock on that door. evilgrin.gif

At the crank, or at the wheels? If that's at the crank, I'll hopefully be not too far from that. I'm shooting for around 200 peak HP. That's with a minimum class weight of 1950 lbs (heavier than I want, but I can put it where I want). More importantly, I think HP-per-dollar I should come out pretty good. The rest I'll have to make up by driving like a madman. But that's okay. First off, it's not a drag car. Second, I like playing the underdog. Knock knock Knock. evilgrin.gif
Mark D.
P.S. Sorry to drift your thread, Rand. That does look like a really nice find.
Rand
You're into drifting too? tongue.gif
No worries, I'm enjoying all of this.
Yeah, she's a nice find, but came with plenty of flaws. I'm totally enjoying the next transformation. That's half the fun for me.
messix
about time bro smilie_pokal.gif
BMXerror
QUOTE(Rand @ Jun 10 2011, 09:41 PM) *

You're into drifting too? tongue.gif

Only when it's unplanned. aktion035.gif
Click to view attachment
Good luck with the new toy. Keep us post on your progress. Glad you're back amongst us.
Mark D.
Rand
No kidding Troy. The itch was getting unbearable.

So, what's new with yours? Got a the hood fixed yet? poke.gif
Got any new projects you'd like to share some sneak peeks about?? Hmm?? biggrin.gif

Dude you should really ride down to WCR with one of the PNW peeps!!!!!!!!!!! :cheers:
messix
all body work is sidelined.

i posted in keltys procrastination thread up dates on snowflake [my daughter named it] .

there is very little fun money for a while till some stuff gets paid off, so no wcc. and i have my daughter full time thru the summer.
Rand
QUOTE(messix @ Jun 10 2011, 09:55 PM) *

all body work is sidelined.

i posted in keltys procrastination thread up dates on snowflake [my daughter named it] .

there is very little fun money for a while till some stuff gets paid off, so no wcc. and i have my daughter full time thru the summer.

Hey man, summer with Lily.... Has to mean a happy dad! Glad to hear it.
Looking forward to catching up some day.
PRS914-6
cheer.gif Glad you scored Rand, I know you have been patiently waiting. If you need help, give me a call.
PanelBilly
Nice car. You know you can always try to get your daughter interested in the car and work on it together. I tryed to do that a copple of times. Never did work, but one of the loves to wear the tread off my rear tires.
Rand
Crazy weekend, I just picked up another 914. This time a '75 2.0. Not running at the moment, but for $500 I scored a bargain just for the parts I want. Nice Mahle wheels to replace my Pedrinis, sideshift tranny, better seats, straight doors with late window mechanisms (one of my doors has a bondo patch). I think I'll build the engine to a 2270.
KELTY360
QUOTE(Rand @ Jun 12 2011, 02:23 PM) *

Crazy weekend, I just picked up another 914. This time a '75 2.0. Not running at the moment, but for $500 I scored a bargain just for the parts I want. Nice Mahle wheels to replace my Pedrinis, sideshift tranny, better seats, straight doors with late window mechanisms (one of my doors has a bondo patch). I think I'll build the engine to a 2270.

Amazing how a parts car can feed the soul. Look forward to seeing your new ride at WCR.
JRust
Uh oh! Before you know it you will have 3 more in the driveway. You forget what a slippery slope getting back in the game was lol-2.gif
KELTY360
QUOTE(JRust @ Jun 12 2011, 04:11 PM) *

Uh oh! Before you know it you will have 3 more in the driveway. You forget what a slippery slope getting back in the game was lol-2.gif

We REALLY need a "sliding down the hill" smiley. It could become an instant classic. biggrin.gif
Rand
The PO of the '75 is letting me keep it parked at his place until we get moved into our new house. Everything has really come together well on these purchases... The $500 car has a 2.0, side shift, nice Mahle's, SSIs, and everything else is there, complete. Score!

Got started on the '70. Fixed a dent on the passenger door. Lubed all the latches (the engine lid was the worst, but now "smooth like butta!"). One of the headlight covers was a little misaligned, all gaps straight now.

The interior is a little rough. Removed all the early seats. Picked up a nice pair of Momo seats for $200. Will be fabbing up mounts this weekend.

Removed the backpad and insulation pads from both sides of the firewall, and started taking up some of the floor tar. Was really curious to see the condition of the sheet metal under there. My last 914 was totally rotted out in the rear passenger floor corner and you could see through it. I was pleased to find this one wasn't bad at all, will just need some very small patching in the corner and a very short part of the edge at the long. A little more around the seat mounting brackets/studs. (I don't need those for the new seats anyway, so this will be an easy cleanup.)

Firewall just looks dirty from the adhesive and a little paint coming loose.
Rand
Things have been crazy with the new house and all, but it's going to be a good 914 weekend. I should finish shaving the targa lip, and get the new seats installed.

Check this, two nice Momos that fit my color scheme, $100 delivered. Need to fab the mounting.
markb
Wow, nice score on the seats!
Rand
QUOTE(markb @ Aug 19 2011, 08:22 PM) *

Wow, nice score on the seats!

No kidding. Got lucky. The kind of deal that only happens through local connections. These from a coworker. smilie_pokal.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.