Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WCR route: Changed our route plans Need advise on 140
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rick 918-S
We decided to stick with what we know for this trip. Were taking I 80 to Salt Lake but I need to know what 140 is like. Is this a two lane? Black top? Dirt? Mountains? confused24.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jun 10 2011, 01:19 PM) *

Anyone driven these roads? I've never driven this far north across the country.

2 lane? 4 lane? twisty? Mountains? Snow this time of year?

Anyone else taking this route? confused24.gif

Rick, I went to Montana State University on a baseball scholarship for a couple quarters so I have experienced I90 for about half the State. (I could hit a ton but couldn't run to save my life) I recall pretty flat with beautiful scenery and no speed limit during the day. I can't speak for anything beyond Livingston...
KELTY360
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jun 10 2011, 02:19 PM) *

Anyone driven these roads? I've never driven this far north across the country.

2 lane? 4 lane? twisty?

Anyone else taking this route? confused24.gif

I've driven 200 from Great Falls to Missoula. 2 lane road, little bit of everything; gentle twisties, some forest, some open range, not a lot of elevation change although there is a minor pass between Great Falls and Lincoln.

I-90 is beautiful across Montana, especially west of Livingston. If you want to stay off the interstates, you could take 200 to Missoula, head south on 93 to Hwy 12 and go over Lolo Pass. I've never driven it but it's on my bucket list; supposed to be spectacular and a look on Google Maps shows extensive twisties. Famous for wildflowers this time of year. It would also be 2 lane plus passing lanes. Follow Hwy 12 over to I-84 and then you can choose to go down central Oregon on 97 or go over to I-5 and head south to Medford. I enjoy the drive through central Oregon, lots of scenery with the Cascades just to the west. When you get near Klamath Falls there are a couple of routes to get you through the mountains over to Medford. Might want to check with the S. Oregon guys for the best option.

Look forward to meeting you so I can show off my long sleeve Area 51 Werkes t-shirt. assimilate.gif
rick 918-S
Thanks guys. after looking over the route I think I'm going to just go south to I80 through Salt Lake.

But what about this section of 140? is this a usable 914 road?
jzdu
140 is a paved, two lane road from Klamath Falls to Medford. I can't speak of 140 east of Klamath Falls. You'll hit alot of bugs by Klamath lake, but it's a nice drive.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(jzdu @ Jun 10 2011, 09:35 PM) *

140 is a paved, two lane road from Klamath Falls to Medford. I can't speak of 140 east of Klamath Falls. You'll hit alot of bugs by Klamath lake, but it's a nice drive.

Thanks, 140 looks to be the shortest route. Well, the I 80 is 200 miles further than taking the northern route but I think there's more population if we have issues. unsure.gif
Mike Knox
Hi Rick!! You wrote:

"But what about this section of 140? is this a usable 914 road?"

I driven it many times. It's all two lane (some "urban" sections may be 4) and paved. The stretch from Winnemucca Nevada to Lakeview Oregon is pretty desolate, all high desert with only a couple of gas stations and watering holes.

You will see signs that say "WARNING NO SERVICES NEXT 90 MILES". Those signs are serious. No services, no nothing, except very large and secluded ranches owned by people who really want to be alone. There are some very precipitous drop-offs, but you'll be on the "hill" side of the road, so fear of heights shouldn't be an issue. There are numerous hot springs almost all of which are clothing optional so you can easily stop for a soak and not have to worry about wet bathing suits, just put a towel on your seat and keep driving!! Now agoraphobia (fear of open spaces) may be something to consider. You will probably see antelope as you cross the Charles Sheldon National Wildlife Refuge.

Once you get to Lakeview, the towns are spaced out about one every 50 miles. I've driven the Lakeview to Medford segment in my 914 several times. You will enjoy it.

Take an extra fanbelt, make sure you spare is pumped up, but you should be fine.

If you want to talk over other routes just ask. I'll be happy to help. I've tried many of them.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Mike
Eric_Shea
You have a place to stay in SLC wink.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Mike Knox @ Jun 10 2011, 09:52 PM) *

Hi Rick!! You wrote:

"But what about this section of 140? is this a usable 914 road?"

I driven it many times. It's all two lane (some "urban" sections may be 4) and paved. The stretch from Winnemucca Nevada to Lakeview Oregon is pretty desolate, all high desert with only a couple of gas stations and watering holes.

You will see signs that say "WARNING NO SERVICES NEXT 90 MILES". Those signs are serious. No services, no nothing, except very large and secluded ranches owned by people who really want to be alone. There are some very precipitous drop-offs, but you'll be on the "hill" side of the road, so fear of heights shouldn't be an issue. There are numerous hot springs almost all of which are clothing optional so you can easily stop for a soak and not have to worry about wet bathing suits, just put a towel on your seat and keep driving!! Now agoraphobia (fear of open spaces) may be something to consider. You will probably see antelope as you cross the Charles Sheldon National Wildlife Refuge.

Once you get to Lakeview, the towns are spaced out about one every 50 miles. I've driven the Lakeview to Medford segment in my 914 several times. You will enjoy it.

Take an extra fanbelt, make sure you spare is pumped up, but you should be fine.

If you want to talk over other routes just ask. I'll be happy to help. I've tried many of them.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Mike

Thanks Mike! That's exactly the kind of info I'm looking for. Nice to know about the no service for 90 miles. I'll be sure to top up and go in the day light.

How about cell service for AAA ?
Jeffs9146
Here is a Satelite image of the road!
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jun 10 2011, 10:27 PM) *

You have a place to stay in SLC wink.gif

We may take you up on that. idea.gif I was thinking maybe we would drive straight through to SLC from here. It's like 20 hrs or something. 1470 miles. I've done that exact trip from WCC 04 in reverse through serious storms with 4 kids, a wife, and Alien in tow. screwy.gif
Mike Knox

Hi Rick!! You wrote:

"Thanks Mike! That's exactly the kind of info I'm looking for. Nice to know about the no service for 90 miles. I'll be sure to top up and go in the day light."

Top up in Winnemuccua, stop for a rest in Denio, Nevada then head into Oregon, and across the first set of mountains. Then across the high mountain desert to the second set of mountains and Lakeview. Gas up again. Then cruise past Bly, Beatty, and into Klamath Falls. If you want to end your trip on a road built for 914's leave Route 140 and take SR 66 to Ashland. If you want to speed on into the WCR stay on 140. It basically dead-ends in the LaQuinta parking lot-headquarters for the WCR.

How about cell service for AAA ?"

The coverage maps indicate coverage, but I've never tried my phone or had an emergency in that area. (dumb luck) The road is well traveled, so you won't go unnoticed for long.

Mike
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Mike Knox @ Jun 11 2011, 10:48 AM) *

Hi Rick!! You wrote:

"Thanks Mike! That's exactly the kind of info I'm looking for. Nice to know about the no service for 90 miles. I'll be sure to top up and go in the day light."

Top up in Winnemuccua, stop for a rest in Denio, Nevada then head into Oregon, and across the first set of mountains. Then across the high mountain desert to the second set of mountains and Lakeview. Gas up again. Then cruise past Bly, Beatty, and into Klamath Falls. If you want to end your trip on a road built for 914's leave Route 140 and take SR 66 to Ashland. If you want to speed on into the WCR stay on 140. It basically dead-ends in the LaQuinta parking lot-headquarters for the WCR.

How about cell service for AAA ?"

The coverage maps indicate coverage, but I've never tried my phone or had an emergency in that area. (dumb luck) The road is well traveled, so you won't go unnoticed for long.

Mike

Cool, We just came home from another drive to test the oil curculation issue. Everything seems fine now. I have some work to do to make the Alien long distance road ready but I think were going to be fine. Thanks for the info!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.