Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Replacement engine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mgphoto
Hello,
I bought an engine to use in my car while I am rebuilding my hi mileage 1.7.
I thought I might ask if anyone here has any knowledge of this motor?
Looks well taken care of, has some small problems to sort out.
Any info you may have I would appreciate.
Thanks,
Mike
mgphoto
I found something odd, I am not sure but I believe it is an AC pulley located between the blower fan housing and the engine block.

Does anyone know for sure what this is for?

Click to view attachment
mgphoto
Another oddity a small hole in the top of the air distributor housing just under the throttle body, see photo below.
Anybody know what this is for???

Click to view attachment
ejm
That is an A/C pulley. The “hole” is a tube welded thru the plenum to reinforce it.
mgphoto
QUOTE(ejm @ Jun 12 2011, 03:58 AM) *

That is an A/C pulley. The “hole” is a tube welded thru the plenum to reinforce it.

Thanks Ed, I can understand the tube in the plenum for support.

But, if the A/C belt fails the engine needs to be pulled and the fan housing removed??
Seems a bit extreme, is this a stock configuration?
Mike
Dave_Darling
It's the standard dealer-installed AC setup, yes. But no, it's not factory. None of the regular 914s had AC from the factory.

And yes, it'd be a pain to change the AC belt.

--DD
mgphoto
Thanks Dave.

I do have another question about the cooling flaps, they have been removed and I can see that the passenger side cooling tin has what looks like a slot, for what I assume is the hole for the A/C belt to compressor connection.

Because of unwanted heat entering the engine bay from this slot, I intend to replace the cooling tin but do I need to replace the cooling flaps and the bellows thermostat? I am located in the Los Angeles area, mostly a temperate climate, lows no lower that the 40's and high's in the 100's.

Also what cooling tin pieces are necessary in conjunction with the oil cooler, which relate to the cooling flaps?

Thanks for the insight.
Mike

Dave_Darling
You absolutely positively need to have the flaps, particularly the one on the passenger's side! That is what ducts air down through the cooler; without it you will see high oil temps that cannot be fixed. This flap, in its open position, sits on top of the cooler on a piece of tin that fits around the cooler.

It is best to have all of the systems working correctly. And also to isolate the top of the engine bay from the bottom, which means plugging up the holes left by the AC installation.

You'll need a new right-side cylinder tin and you'll need to repair the engine shelf. And it sounds like you may need more bits. Check the parts diagrams on the Pelican site for an idea of what parts there are. (Haynes also has the same pictures, as does the factory manual.)

--DD
mgphoto
OK next item!

I pulled the plugs and did not like what I saw, oily threads and black sooty centers.
This is a fuel injected motor so I assume that it is running very rich and oil is getting past the rings and valve guides.

Am I correct?

Click to view attachment
mgphoto
QUOTE(mgphoto @ Jun 14 2011, 04:01 PM) *

OK next item!

I pulled the plugs and did not like what I saw, oily threads and black sooty centers.
This is a fuel injected motor so I assume that it is running very rich and oil is getting past the rings and valve guides.

Am I correct?

Click to view attachment

PS: the plug is an NGK "R" BR6ES

anyone know the application of this plug? I am trying to get a handle on this engine.
Thanks,
Mike

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.