Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Car has sat for a year
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scrz914
I know that gas starts to degrade after sitting for 6 months. My car hasn't run for about a year now. My plan was to drain the fuel out, but it looks like there's more in the tank than I thought and I don't have a big enough pan.
Would 12 month old gas damage the injectors? Could I mix in some fresh gas and get away with running the old through?
Anyone with have this experience?
tod914
If it's not E10 gas, and you used Stabil or the like, you should be ok. Peek inside the tank and see if it smells like varnish or if there is rust in the tank. If it's E10 gas, drain it. It starts to go bad after 3 months. Get a couple of plastic fuel cans to empty it into. You'll just need something to pinch/plug the lines. Not too bad. Had to do it 2x this year due to crap gas.
tod914
And change your fuel filter while your at it.
Dave_Darling
If your engine and fuel system are stock, I think your chances are pretty good. My car started right up after sitting for several years.

Highly-tuned race engines, on the other hand, can have very severe problems on race gas that is only a few months old.

--DD
underthetire
Don't worry about it on an injected car. Carbs would be another story.
scrz914
Gas still smells normal. I feel better about just mixing in some fresher gas.
I havne't heard of the term E10 gas. Ethanol maybe?
Thanks for the responses.
r_towle
Start it, drive it, get rid of the fuel....fill with super and a bottle of Tektron FI cleaner and have a great season.

Rich
scotty b
If it is ethanol GET IT OUT !!! I have a 930 and my motorcycle in my shop both with ethanol issues, The 930 sat for a little over a year, and my bike sat for all of 5 months. I took my carbs apart and all of the brass was coverd in green growth. I had previously JUST rebuilt them and the bike was running great. F*ck ethanol dry.gif
GeorgeRud
Yeah, E10 is shorthand for the sorry excuse for gas that we have to deal with these days.

I think there are still a few places that have the real stuff, but we've been stuck with this stuff for years in Chicagoland. It seems to cause the most problems when it's first introduced into an area where the old cars have been running straight gasoline for years, now all sorts of stuff starts dissolving with then newly introduced ethanol. Let's just hope that they don't start making the E15 that is being proposed.

It would be one thing if it reduced the dependency on foreign oil (kind of a patriotic thing), but it takes more energy to procude the ethanol than is saved by its use as a motor fuel! Just my 2 cents.
sean_v8_914
get rid of it.
dont run it
CA gas, right?
what's your engine worth?
carr914
e10 is bad before it even goes in your Tank barf.gif
914rat
E10 caused me a total top end teardown and gummed up my valves.The machine shop I took it to said that E10 is hell on NA flat tappet carbed engines.Use stabilizer even if it's sitting for a few weeks.
Drums66
......I agree just dump it!!! idea.gif
(be safe!) bye1.gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif
scrz914
Turns out to be a moot point..fuel pump no longer circulates gas. It could be that sitting for that long has caused internal problems. I'll have to pull it and when I do I'll do the long awaited tank restoration as well.
Has anyone resurrected one of these pumps by soaking it in diesel?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.