Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Steering lock
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Porschef
I took the ignition column assy out again because the steering lock has never worked. The little tab only pops out a bit. Is there a fix, or am I looking for trouble?

Click to view attachment

I can see this is staked to the unit. Can I open it and restake it? Will this get me to the internals?

Click to view attachment

Thanks,

Joe
rohar
This is one of the things I would suggest breaking intentionally. Most of our ignition switches are old as dirt to it's very possible for the key to slip out while you're driving. The result is the car keeps going but the steering locks up. Bad day starts there.
Porschef
Hmm, interesting philosophy....java script:emoticon(':idea:', 'smid_36')

OK, I'll put it back together for now..

Joe
Elliot Cannon
IMHO, the ignition lock is one of the most dangerous items on the car. Correct me if I'm wrong (happens all the time) but wasn't the ignition lock mandated by the government. Many years ago I had an electrical fire on my Chrysler LeBaron. I did the right thing and removed the source of the fire by turning off the ignition. Then I discovered I couldn't steer the car at 60mph!! Brilliant!! At the risk of making this into a political discussion I believe this idea was a theft deterent pushed through by the auto insurance lobby. Re-read my second sentence.
Cheers, Elliot
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.