Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Audi R-18 Strength in Engineering
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Vysoc
Hello World,

The 24 Hours of LeMans was extremely exciting, with the usual complaints about the speed and skill of the less seasoned driver's.
This will always be an ongoing problem and is a part of multi-class racing.

I wonder what it was like in 1970, when Vic Elford came tooling down the Mulsane at 240+, and cars like Claude Ballot-Lena's 914-6 were topping out at 150?

They interviewed Derek Bell after the first Allan McNish accident, he said a driver in the 1970's would have died for sure in the same situation.

Audi monocoque? are built in Italy by Dallara.

Great race to watch!

Vysoc flag.gif
stownsen914
I was just thinking the other day about the speed differentials approaching 100 mph as they were in the early 70s. Must have made things VERY interesting, especially at night, in the rain, etc.

Also, very impressive how drivers can just walk away from horrific accidents as they do today. For sure more drivers would have died from such impacts with 1970s racing technology.

Scott
Richard Casto
I was on vacation and followed the race via tweets from some of the teams and other journalists, so I have only seen the YouTube videos of the crashes. My opinion is that the race between Audi and Peugeot ended up being a 24hr sprint race. Additionally, I think the speed differential between the LMP and GTE cars are not as big as they were "back in the day" so you now have situations in which the LMP cars have to pass where they can vs. waiting for the next straight to just motor on past. Couple those two facts together (fast pace + lesser speed diff = more crashes between LMP and GTE cars)

Richard
carr914
I'm still saying to myself, WTF was McNish thinking - he was never going to pull off that pass
Derek Seymour
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jun 13 2011, 06:43 AM) *

I'm still saying to myself, WTF was McNish thinking - he was never going to pull off that pass

No doubt, he must have seen the checkered flag after lap 1.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.