Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Correct lug bolts for Dan Gurney wheels...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
malaga_red75
Got new Dan Gurney wheels and I noticed that they do not have rounded holes like the previous empi look a likes. Do i need new lug nuts?

Thanks,

Peter
Tom_T
QUOTE(malaga_red75 @ Jun 12 2011, 08:29 PM) *

Got new Dan Gurney wheels and I noticed that they do not have rounded holes like the previous empi look a likes. Do i need new lug nuts?

Thanks,

Peter

Yes, the lugs' heads need to fit the inets, or else you'll damage the wheels, hubs, bearings, etc. ..... if you're lucky; and if not, you may loose it on the road in hard cornering! sad.gif
malaga_red75
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jun 12 2011, 08:43 PM) *

QUOTE(malaga_red75 @ Jun 12 2011, 08:29 PM) *

Thanks,

Peter

Yes, the lugs' heads need to fit the inets, or else you'll damage the wheels, hubs, bearings, etc. ..... if you're lucky; and if not, you may loose it on the road in hard cornering! sad.gif

sounds good... Since there is no rounded inlet, just a circular hole, I assume the lug bolt will have a cylinder shape to match the hole. Ill take a trip over to HPH tomorrow and see what rich has got.

-peter
70_914
They will be what are commonly called "mag lugs" with a shoulder and a washer.
rick 918-S
Many guys use the screw in studs. I'm not a big fan of those but they work. My son had those on his golf and had one of the studs unscrew from the flange while on a skid pad at the BMW CCA teen driving clinic. If you use them just be sure to check the torque after you drive for awhile.
TheCabinetmaker
70 is correct. Seems they are not available anymore. I tried to find some about a year ago with no luck. My local wheel shop thats been in biz for about 50 years used to have some, but can't get them anymore, and he knew the guy who was making them. I f you should find some, buy all you can. There are folks (me included) who will buy them from you. If something ever happens that I need a new one and can't get it, I'll go to studs and mag wheel type nuts.
orange914
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Jun 13 2011, 06:05 AM) *

70 is correct. Seems they are not available anymore. I tried to find some about a year ago with no luck. My local wheel shop thats been in biz for about 50 years used to have some, but can't get them anymore, and he knew the guy who was making them. I f you should find some, buy all you can. There are folks (me included) who will buy them from you. If something ever happens that I need a new one and can't get it, I'll go to studs and mag wheel type nuts.

I've got 12 gurney rim bolts for sale. They need replating or you could just wire wheel them for a temparaty use. About $4 ea.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...=0#entry1484635
malaga_red75
QUOTE(orange914 @ Jun 13 2011, 07:31 AM) *

QUOTE(vsg914 @ Jun 13 2011, 06:05 AM) *

I've got 12 gurney rim bolts for sale. They need replating or you could just wire wheel them for a temparaty use. About $4 ea.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...=0#entry1484635

hmmm... can I get dibs on these pending my visit to HPH this afternoon... if the price at HPH is reasonable and I can get all 16 at once, I might just do that. Expect a pm from me around 5.

usually rich has the NLA parts...
zymurgist
Can regular lug bolts be machined down so they have a shoulder for use with Gurneys? idea.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(zymurgist @ Dec 13 2011, 10:05 AM) *

Can regular lug bolts be machined down so they have a shoulder for use with Gurneys? idea.gif

That could work but I would have the wheels machined with a recess for a hardened countersunk washer to match a tapered lug bolt. The washers should be available at your flats along with a tapered lug bolt. The washer will ensure against pulling the tapered lug bolt through the wheel and galling during torque down.

BTW: I love those gurney wheels. I will have a set someday and make this modification whether I get the correct bolt with the wheels or not.

Also I just replaced the studs on Sandy's Ravenna car with bolts fitted to Enkei 92's The studs damaged the threads on one of the front rotors. I ended up having to discard a perfectly good rotor for damaged threads. I'm not a fan of the stud replacments.
TheCabinetmaker
The shoulder of the gurney bolts are larger diameter than the stock bolts. They already use a washer. I actually found new washers, just can't find new bolts.

Edit: Besides the shoulder formed by the head of the bolt, there is another shoulder formed by the threads on the body of the bolt. The bolt hole in the rim is bigger than stock.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.