Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need help, Suby guys please.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
underthetire
I was just offered a 05 STI motor. It was in a car that was totaled, so it broke a plastic timing belt pulley, bent one valve (heads are off) water pump broken, and front plastic covers. The price is right-free. Does not have the turbo, but does have other ancillary items. 78K miles on it. I know the guy pretty well, whole family is in to racing big time. Is it worth getting? How much for adapters to fit the 914? I don't want a 300hp fire breathing dragon, but 200-225 would be nice. Oh, and it's VVT motor, would megasquirt handle it, how does the ECU control it, and is it better to find older heads?
matthepcat
QUOTE(underthetire @ Jun 13 2011, 08:20 AM) *

I was just offered a 05 STI motor. It was in a car that was totaled, so it broke a plastic timing belt pulley, bent one valve (heads are off) water pump broken, and front plastic covers. The price is right-free. Does not have the turbo, but does have other ancillary items. 78K miles on it. I know the guy pretty well, whole family is in to racing big time. Is it worth getting? How much for adapters to fit the 914? I don't want a 300hp fire breathing dragon, but 200-225 would be nice. Oh, and it's VVT motor, would megasquirt handle it, how does the ECU control it, and is it better to find older heads?

"other ancillary items" is going to be the hard parts to find, other than that I would go for it. You will be buying a 300hp motor though.
DBCooper
Well how about this. You take them up on their offer of "free", put it in your garage, have a good think about it, then if you decide it's too much work or you don't want it for any other reason then you sell it to me! That work? Have to strap it to a pallet, but hey, I'd pay for that. You just need to call them NOW and tell them you'll take it. NOW, before they change their minds.
underthetire
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Jun 13 2011, 02:23 PM) *

Well how about this. You take them up on their offer of "free", put it in your garage, have a good think about it, then if you decide it's too much work or you don't want it for any other reason then you sell it to me! That work? Have to strap it to a pallet, but hey, I'd pay for that. You just need to call them NOW and tell them you'll take it. NOW, before they change their minds.

It's mine until I tell them otherwise. The guy has a CNC mill in his garage that has an issue, he wants me to check it out. Since i'm the only local guy with a scope that knows that machine at all, he won't do anything silly. I was thinking about just grabbing it and see if anyone wanted to trade for a good running T-4, since mine is smoked. I would love to do the suby, but funds are too short to really do it at this time.
strawman
Get it! I could even help load it up for you and indefinitely store it in my engine bay... err, I mean garage, for you. poke.gif

Sorry I can't offer much help with the ECU, but the folks over at NASIOC could probably provide some input. Some of it might actually be useful. lol-2.gif I'm using the factory Suby ECU for my conversion, piggybacked with a e-boost controller and fuel cut defenser for a larger turbo (TD05H-16G) on my Suby EJ22T from a turbo Legacy.
a914622
Grab it. Get the wire harness from the engine AND the car including the fuel tank. Get the ECU. The sti are open and can be reflashed. The stock wire harness is not as hard as you would think to strip down to be a stand alone system. Keep the VVT it makes a huge bottom end boost!
The stock turbos had issues. Not a big deal, the EVO has a twin scrole thats 3 times better.

What about the Tranny? I would find coin for you if the price is right!?! under 2k?PM me Or i have a 75 911s i will be parting soon.

What cnc is in the garage? sounds like my house..

jcl
dw914er
If you don't want it, I'll take it for my wrx wink.gif

It'll be a 300+ crank hp motor though.
pktzygt
That thing is a goldmine if you don't end up using it yourself. I thought I got a good deal with my free ej20g, but you got me.
Zaney
If you don't to go through all the steps to get it running I will trade you my plug and play setup right now beer.gif

Like the others have said, get the ECU and wiring harness for sure! If it is drive by wire then get the accelerator pedal setup too! Pick the car clean of everything then sit down and look it over when you get a chance!

Good luck!
Nate
underthetire
Unfortunately the car went to the crusher already, so thats out. I'll probably just pick it up and try to trade for a running T-4, preferably a 2.0. I have a 1.8 available for not much, but no history when it last ran.

The CNC is a 1985 Deckel universal machine ( horizontal and vertical). Some of the straightest most accurate iron around, but made in Germany, so the electronics are always iffy in those.
DBCooper
QUOTE(underthetire @ Jun 14 2011, 08:19 AM) *

The CNC is a 1985 Deckel universal machine ( horizontal and vertical). Some of the straightest most accurate iron around, but made in Germany, so the electronics are always iffy in those.

Deckel? I SOLD those machines! I worked for Ferrostaal in Manhattan, who were the Deckel agent in the Americans, with a machine tool division in Spartanburg (for the BMW plant) where that machine was almost certainly sold. You got a good, rock solid machine with that one.

We sold a number of other brands as well, including SHW, who made big huge multi-million dollar machining centers, including one sold to the Harley plant in Pennsylvania. I asked the German tech who installed that machine what he thought of Harley, thinking he'd diss them. Surprisingly he said that Harley could hold better tolerances than BMW in Germany. True or not that's not something you usually hear from German engineers.
DBCooper
By the way, all you damn vultures circling that STI motor, I am first in line, ME. Me, me, me, me, mine! I know I'm sounding like a Republican but this is probably the first time EVER that I'm first in line so I'm not gonna roll over for nothing. evilgrin.gif

Well, all else being equal, I guess. grouphug.gif
underthetire
You don't want to know what we call the Deckels here! They were ok in the day, pretty good iron, but typical finicky German electronics, especially now being as old as they are. Wouldn't even think about a newer one. I don't know anyone who bought one that likes it in the past 15 years.

And you can be first in line, I need to go pick that thing up. If nothing else maybe it can help fund the transition from garage storage rack to driving car again.
DBCooper
QUOTE(underthetire @ Jun 14 2011, 02:51 PM) *

You don't want to know what we call the Deckels here!

Ha ha ha! And you don't even want to know what we called them back then! In about 1989-90 I closed that division and sold off the inventory for maybe thirty cents on the dollar. That should give you a clue, but actually I think the last models we sold had GE Fanuc PLC's. I guess you don't have those, or you'd be cursing GE.
underthetire
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Jun 14 2011, 04:14 PM) *

QUOTE(underthetire @ Jun 14 2011, 02:51 PM) *

You don't want to know what we call the Deckels here!

Ha ha ha! And you don't even want to know what we called them back then! In about 1989-90 I closed that division and sold off the inventory for maybe thirty cents on the dollar. That should give you a clue, but actually I think the last models we sold had GE Fanuc PLC's. I guess you don't have those, or you'd be cursing GE.

None had the ge, but we do still have one with a hurco control!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.